Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What to be called

(131 Posts)
blue60 Thu 29-Aug-19 18:59:13

An aquaintance of mine is to be a new grandmother next year.

I congratualted her, and we got talking about what she will be called by her grandchild. 'Grandmum' she said.

I haven't heard of that one before. Anyone else heard of or are called by this name?

GagaJo Fri 30-Aug-19 10:46:13

KatyK, granny is posh? I just thought it was what old women with grandchildren were called.

PART of the reason I don't like nanny IS because I was a nanny when I first left school, to very posh kids in London.

KatyK Fri 30-Aug-19 10:49:30

I love the picture Gagajo!

KatyK Fri 30-Aug-19 10:51:17

I was only 50 as I said, so granny would have made me feel very old.

blondenana Fri 30-Aug-19 10:56:12

No, not granny, shock i told all mine never to call me granny, i am nanna, granny sounds so old, and i am now,but was only 38 when i became one

MyTVIsBroken Fri 30-Aug-19 10:58:55

I am "Mimi" I didn't like any of the English options, and my mum grabbed the one from our own language. My daughter was unhelpful (and I wanted something everyone agreed on). When my granddaughter started calling me mum, because they live with me and that's what my daughter calls me, she needed to find something.... ?

Calendargirl Fri 30-Aug-19 11:02:26

I became a Granny at 49. I always say if it’s good enough for the Queen.....and no, I am not posh.
Personally dislike Nan or Nanny, sounds like a goat. ?

fizzers Fri 30-Aug-19 11:05:01

I am Nanna or Nan or Nanzie (eldest grandson has come out with that one)

Great grandchildren called my mother Grandma so as not to get confused between myself, or my sister (she's also a nan)

Some of my sister's GC's called my mother GeeGee and she absolutely detested being called that

I always called my grandmothers Granny

GagaJo Fri 30-Aug-19 11:37:11

I was 52 when I became a grandmother. But I thought granny was the best of a bad job. Gaga is a huge improvement, my clever little chick!

goldengirl Fri 30-Aug-19 11:41:58

I'm Grandma and quite happy about it. The other grandparents are Nanny and Nana. I quite like Nonna which seems to be around these days. Bit late for me though.

Farmor15 Fri 30-Aug-19 11:56:47

Swedish is a fairly literal language, from the little I know. Mother’s mother is mormor and father’s mother farmor. I think nearly all grandmothers are called either of those names. Actually easy for small children to say.

Now you know where my username comes from?. I like being called farmor, but I’m also Granny to my non-Swedish grandchildren.

tanith Fri 30-Aug-19 12:08:52

I was Nanny to my GC for many years but as they grew up they now call me Granny mostly, one of the Grt GC calls me Gaga which is fine too I've no preference as long as they call me lol

ninathenana Fri 30-Aug-19 14:27:57

I wanted to be nana and until oldest was about 3 that was what I was called then he started calling me nannie and his brother followed suit.
I don't like granny, that was what they called my mum.
DH started out as ranran as oldest couldn't pronounce grandad DD and I said that it would stick but he is now grandad.
Confusing as other GP's are called the same.
My friend has one set of GC that have pet names for her and her DH other GC call them grandad and grandma

LullyDully Fri 30-Aug-19 16:42:20

Quite happy being grandma like my mum and her mother before me. The other grandmother is also grandma but the kids put our first names after to stop confusion if needed.

Never thought one name was posher than another.. Neither have I ever understood why grandmas are older and more prone to knitting than nannies.

Maybelle Fri 30-Aug-19 17:35:04

I am Granny to my DGS. I was going to be Grandma, but his other grandmother is Grandma and I didn't want to be Grandma Belle.

I love being Granny and cannot wait for him to start speaking and call me.

ginny Fri 30-Aug-19 18:16:30

I’m quite happy to be Nana to 3 year old DGS and now Nan to ,17 year old DGS. I didn’t want to be Granny or Grandma. However as both the little one and the older both tell me they love me I don’t really care what name they give me.

PepsiMX Fri 30-Aug-19 18:16:37

My ILs call each other mummy and daddy infront of our kids hoping they will copy them. Thank God they havent, i dont want to share being called mummy

CocoPops Sat 31-Aug-19 05:28:56

Well, I'd like to b called Bl**dy Marvelous but I'm just Granny.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Aug-19 06:36:50

I think granny or gran sounds so old I always think of an old fashioned lady with a shawl when the word granny comes up I have a very fun loving modern friend who is Grandma I think that’s awful too very ‘poesh’
what’s so different between grandmum and grandma ( I don’t personally like either)

I was Nanny and now Nan suits me just fine I had a nanny and a granny but granny was old and just sat in her chair nanny was the one that took me everywhere I had a grandad and a Hossie ( his name was Horace)

Bugbabe2019 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:46:07

I’m going to be called ‘mam’ it’s quite common in Wales. It’s short for ‘mamgu’ ( Mamgee) A lot of people also call their mothers mam as well

Pix5 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:46:46

I hate grant or granny. They sound old and wrinkly. I think it's up to the individual.

Bugbabe2019 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:47:20

Oh and my grown up sons call my mother ‘the big G’ ??

Bugbabe2019 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:48:01

Or Gma ?

Skweek1 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:48:44

We had a Grandma (MIL), Grandpa (FIL - his new partner was younger than me, so insisted on first name!), Grannie (my mum)and DH's grandparentts were Grandma and Grandpa to DH, but DS couldn't get his tongue round Grandpa, so they were Grandmama and Grandpumpa.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 31-Aug-19 09:52:48

I'm Tatty to my three now adult GC. Their partners also call me that.

Hellsbelles Sat 31-Aug-19 10:00:24

I knew a lady who was mummum to her gc . Apparently it meant mum's mum !