Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What to be called

(131 Posts)
blue60 Thu 29-Aug-19 18:59:13

An aquaintance of mine is to be a new grandmother next year.

I congratualted her, and we got talking about what she will be called by her grandchild. 'Grandmum' she said.

I haven't heard of that one before. Anyone else heard of or are called by this name?

gordh123 Sat 31-Aug-19 22:47:54

My grandchildren call me Grandma and I love it.
Can`t do nanny as it`s a paid job

LizaJane24 Sun 01-Sep-19 16:28:53

I agree with misadventure- hopefully my grandson (18 months) will decide what to call me. I had a Nan and don't feel we can use that (my daughter called her that too) She still has two grandmas so I can't be that so he has two grannies at the moment. Just started talking and first attempt sounded like Nanny, so will go with that- his attempts at his auntie are yilly- (Lizzie) and Noni ( Naomi) so am looking forward with interest to what he decides.

Bekstar Sun 01-Sep-19 17:38:37

My mum was Grandma for her first 14 grandkids, but then my DS changed that to Granny for no aparant reason he also changed Grandad to Granda with an emphasis on the "A". Now a few if them use the same.

absthame Sun 01-Sep-19 20:07:19

At first my first gc called me bob, my short name, but changed it to grandad, my wife has always been Nana, unless they are laying it on, in which case it's nannan. The ggc all call me grandad or dadadbob, my wife is still nana, it was never our choices of names, all of the children slipped into them.

Nansnet Mon 02-Sep-19 04:36:30

I'm Nannie, with an 'ie', and very proud of it! My mum & MiL were both Nannie to my children, which changed to Nan, when my children were older. Both of my GMs were Nannie/Nan to me, and so were both of my great GMs. Strangely enough, I don't get paid to be Nannie, and neither did any of mine! They are/were just those lovely ladies we mostly adore, who show us lots of love, kindness and cuddles, amongst many other things. I don't see what difference a name makes, or why some people have to be so critical/snide about what other GMs are called. Just be happy with whatever your GC calls you, and thank your lucky stars that you have them!