Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Not seeing my grandchildren

(14 Posts)
Nana18 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:02:37

I haven’t seen my 2 grandchildren for over 5 months ...our son is going thru an acrimonious split ....and his ex-partner won’t let the children see us.. it is so difficult...any tips..hope?.. or anything..?

B9exchange Sun 01-Sep-19 17:19:39

I really feel for you. Try to remain friendly with both sides, despite the acrimony, never take sides. You could try sending DiL the occasional text saying that this must be such a difficult time for her, but that if there is any way you can help, to let you know. When things settle down she may be glad of the odd babysitting session as she is on her own.

Perhaps you son might be able to briing the children over on one of his access visits. You might be able to get letters or books to them that way. I'm afraid all you can do now is bide your time and be there for the whole family, not easy I know. flowers

Nana18 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:30:55

Thank you..my son has not seen his children either..
the ex keeps trying to involve the Police (unsuccessfully ..but disturbing)..if we contact..
kind of know we have lost them now...

Gonegirl Sun 01-Sep-19 17:34:51

That is dreadful. I am so sorry for you. sad

I hope it all gets sorted officially soon and then you are able to share your son's access time. flowers

Nana18 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:41:43

Thank you...feels a bit better talking about it...

Septimia Sun 01-Sep-19 18:16:21

Just make sure that your son gets the right legal advice and help to get appropriate access to his children.

I've heard of someone who has had to re-fight the legal battle several times - he gets access and all goes along OK for a while, then the ex objects to something and it all starts again. Very hard.

But he'll be able to show his children, when they're older, that he made the effort to be in their lives. I think that's important for them and him.

EllanVannin Sun 01-Sep-19 20:10:34

Unless there's a court order in force your son has every right to see the children, even bringing them to see you.

paddyann Sun 01-Sep-19 20:20:32

there has to be a valid reason why he isn't allowed access.my Ex SIL is a nightmare but he still has access to his two children ..sadly he fought for it and then doesn't bother actually seeing them!

Tangerine Sun 01-Sep-19 21:56:29

If your son gets access, will he bring them to see you sometimes?

Do you think he'll get access?

Hithere Sun 01-Sep-19 22:12:37

Has your son tried to go to court to be able to see his children?

Nana18 Sun 01-Sep-19 22:44:45

Still to go to court..

BradfordLass72 Mon 02-Sep-19 01:12:12

Five months is early days....

Things DO resolve themselves (it took us 5 years) and the courts usually allow access to fathers.
Don't be scared by police even if they visit, they have to do their job. Just stay calm, say nothing derogatory.
Have hope flowers

Hithere Mon 02-Sep-19 02:14:12

Why is it taking your son so long to go to court?

MovingOn2018 Tue 03-Sep-19 07:25:26

the ex keeps trying to involve the Police (unsuccessfully ..but disturbing)..if we contact

Under what grounds are the police being involved?