Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

DD going away

(4 Posts)
silverlining48 Mon 23-Sep-19 21:38:14

It will be hard work but you will miss them when they go. We had our 14 month gd for 6 days while her parents were away. Plan something for every day, preferably go out if you can to break up the day, visit the park, also any friends or other family nearby, find out if there’s a toddler group locally ( you sit there while they play with the toys etc). Lots of fresh air should make them tired, and if all else fails put the tv on. Don’t worry, all will be well.

Septimia Mon 23-Sep-19 19:40:48

I found it helpful when I had my pre-school DGD all day to have lots of activities planned. It didn't matter if we didn't do all of them, but it meant that I wasn't searching for things to keep her occupied.

I always included going out - for a walk or to the shops - as getting ready adds to the time that the whole thing takes. Certainly getting out somewhere they can use up some of their energy might help. A new comic or crayons was useful to provide interest on return. We also used to take a picnic lunch into the garden when the weather permitted.

Some cooking or some arty crafty activity was useful for me, too.

Do you have any friends or relatives who could cope with a short visit which might also help to break up the time?

You will obviously know the things that the children like to do much better than me, but my initial comment about planning stands - have stuff ready to use and break up the day with different activities. Try, too, to get them to have a quiet time if you can!

If you're anything like me, it'll seem interminable, but it'll cement your relationship with them.

BlueBelle Mon 23-Sep-19 18:35:58

My words of comfort are everything comes to an end each day will be ticked off I had my baby granddaughter when she was 18 months while her mum and dad went to Cuba I went to their house in Europe She went down with an ear infection and me not really knowing the place very well had to find doctors etc however we got along fine and she was well by the time they returned I was on my own and don’t drive so it was a bit of an ‘adventure’
At the other end of the scale my other daughter is going away this weekend and leaving a 16 and 18 year old at home I will not be staying with them but ‘keeping an eye on them’ I m dreading it ?

Lizbethann55 Mon 23-Sep-19 18:28:15

Hi. Have followed discussions for ages but this is the first time I have started a discussion so here goes. I have two darling grandchildren that I love beyond measure. I am blessed in that they live literally round the corner. Grace is nearly 4. She is clever, funny, adorable, self willed, determined and bloody minded. Tom is just one. Walks everywhere and never stops. Both are utterly exhausting and never sit still for a moment. We have them for a full day once a fortnight and Grace sleeps over the night before. We also have them fairly often on other days as well. So far so good. Why am I telling you this?. Next week my DD and SiL are going to America for their 10th anniversary for 6 days and leaving the babies with me and hubby. And I am dreading it. I have taken some leave and DH is trying to work around around it. They will be in nursery for a couple of days, but we will have them most of the time and neither of them sleeps. I know it's not for long but, oh dear!!!! Any words of comfort and encouragement would be so welcome! The other GPs live a long way away so can't help. Thank you