Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

I don’t know how to handle this, help please

(111 Posts)
muffinthemoo Sat 19-Oct-19 21:29:52

Hello ladies. I wonder if I might bring something to you for some advice. I have a bit of a tricky situation on my hands and I desperately do not want to do the wrong thing.

My BIL who is very dear to me has been in a relationship for about a year with a lady who has a very small child, the same age as my middle one. The relationship has progressed very quickly and they are living together as a family.

My little ones are very fond of this wee girl (let’s call her Isabel, I don’t want to use a real name of course) and she of them.

My MIL is making a strong effort to be inclusive of and accepting of Isabel as a family member. The situation is delicate as my BIL is still not allowed to parent Isabel or direct her although she often is in his sole care. As a result, my MIL is not identified as a ‘granny’ or he as a ‘dad’. I don’t have any views on this either way as Isabel is not my daughter and it is not for me to pass judgement on how BIL’s partner manages these relationships. Isabel’s birth father has never met her or been in her life and I realise this is a difficult situation for her mum to navigate.

I would absolutely definitely never willingly or knowingly do anything to endanger these relationships.

Here is my first trouble. It seems minor but the situation is very eggshell-y and I’m not sure how to proceed. DH says he doesn’t know what to do and wants me to handle the issue. My MIL over the years has tended to keep all of the kids’ christmas and birthday presents at her house for them to play with there. I have at times felt uncomfortable with this but have never made an issue of it.

However, Isabel has been using these toys/furniture etc when she is at MIL’s, both when she’s there alone and when all the little ones are there together. My eldest two (aged four and three) have been strictly instructed about sharing, so they do share with her, but have recently cried after some visits because “my granny gave [toy] to ME and now Isabel just takes it”. There have also been a few items that Isabel has taken home and that my children have noticed are missing.

The second issue is that MIL has taken down all pictures of DH and some of my children and replaced them with pictures of Isabel. The children have noticed this (it was absolutely not drawn to their attention) and have asked why this has happened. They have asked if they have to share their granny with Isabel and whether she is Isabel’s granny too. I have basically flannelled them with vague answers but am not sure how to approach this. She does not call BIL dad or anything like that.

The third issue is that BILs partner and I parent a bit differently. This is in no way a criticism of her. I am probably too strict and old fashioned in my approach to be honest. However I am strict about good manners and good behaviour when out or when visiting. On our last visit together to MIL’s, Isabel threw furniture, toys and food, and pushed my youngest (just turned one) off a ride on toy that MIL had purchased for him. Isabel also frequently wets “for attention” (according to her mum, I don’t make any judgement) and removes her clothing in public. At my youngest’s baptism, she had to be removed from mass for doing this and also for hitting my middle child.

My girls are questioning why they are corrected/not allowed to do things that Isabel is allowed to do without correction. I would add that my MIL is quite willing to correct them but Isabel not at all (again, this is a difficult relationship and I completely understand her position).

The wee ones are all fond of one another and we ensure they meet up regularly. This good relationship is really important to me and I don’t want to do anything to damage it.

How should I handle my children’s questions/reactions to all the above? I am desperate not to say the wrong thing.

Tillybelle Mon 21-Oct-19 14:54:09

Anthea1948 Yes! smile

pinkquartz Mon 21-Oct-19 15:02:29

*Tillybelle

i do agree with most of what you have written but not the keep a secret part about their Granny.
Children do tend to just say stuff and it will not help the set up at all if the DH finds out what his wife has said about his mum.

either tell the kids you don't know ask your Granny or tell granny she needs to talk to the kids to explain as they are confused.
I would never tell any child anything to keep secret.

JENMA Mon 21-Oct-19 15:27:10

When my two girls( now grown up ) had friends round I often suggested they ask the guest what she would like to do and hopefully they would all enjoy dong it together. They did say why do we do what our guests want but when we go to hers we have to do what they want. I simply said they have bad mannered mothers. They understood and have grown into lovely mothers themselves.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 21-Oct-19 16:54:48

I agree that children should learn to share toys when playing together, but a toy that has been specifically given to Johny should not be appropriated and taken home by Jeanie, especially when Johny has always been told that toys given him by Granny stay at Granny's house.

You really need to take this issue up with your children's grandmother. If she refuses to see your point of view, I would tell her that the children are upset by the things she is allowing Isabel to do, so you will not be coming around when Isabel is there for the next while.

There is no reason at all why you should not gently correct Isabel if she hits or pushes one of your children. Tell her nicely, "Isabel dear, we don't push each other".

I have never in all my 50 years experience of children heard of a child who took off all her clothes to attract attention, I would tell her promptly to put her clothes back on at once so she doesn't catch cold.

Wetting herself deliberately , I have heard of, and of children who wet themselves when distressed or angry. Are you sure she is doing it deliberately? Whatever the reason, pop her into dry pants and make as little fuss as possible.

Do you know Isabel's mother at all? If so, it would be best to try and have a word about what goes on when Isabel is at your MIL's as I gather the child's mother is not present.
Start by saying that you really want all the children to get on with each other, but the different way your MIL is treating them is causing friction and ask her advice on dealing with it.

Your children's questions should be fairly easy to answer: No, Granny is not really Isabel's granny, and no, you do not know why Granny has taken down their photos and only has Isobel's about. And, no, you are not going to ask Granny about it, as she may do as she wants in her own home.

It is fairly common for children to have toys that are kept at their grandparents, so no point in making a fuss about it, as long as the toys stay there.

It takes a village to bring up a child, so stop pussy-footing around this wee girl and ask her nicely to adhere to your standards when she is playing with your children.

If your BIL mentions the matter tell him honestly what the problem is.

Ooeyisit Mon 21-Oct-19 16:54:58

I voted leave and would do do again and again . My reasons are many and I would need a day to spell them all out .My flagpole and flag will be up before the 31st and I can’t wait to see the back of that dreadful blue flag which will by then have a star too many .Thats another load of EU money gone on replacing the hated flag

Ooeyisit Mon 21-Oct-19 16:55:57

Sorry wrong post , that will set the remainers going .sorry

Tillybelle Mon 21-Oct-19 17:56:29

pinkquartz. Yes you are right. Secrets are a very difficult issue and best not used at all even as I had intended here as a little joke in a very light-hearted way. I think I was being influenced by the simply lovely weekend i was so lucky to have with my grandchildren who all get on so well and if I were to say "Uncle Grant is a bit weird but it's a secret so don't tell him, he thinks ping pong balls are baby cabbages, but don't say anything". the children would all giggle like mad until one of them, usually "F", would almost certainly say to uncle G "You are Weird!". Anyway, I agree, this not allowing presents to be taken home isn't an appropriate issue to try and make a little light-hearted joke about. I was just trying to think of a way to handle it to make it less painful for the poor children who seem to be punished for being good!

Perhaps I might just say openly, if she were my MIL, "That's weird! You give a present to my children than take it back from them at home time. Then you let another child take their present away. Anyone would think you don't really want to give my children presents. It's not as if they have done anything wrong. They share nicely. They don't push the baby off her ride-on toy..." But that would probably set the cat amongst the pigeons. Maybe its time the cat was among the pigeons? This MIL seems to do whatever she wants irrespective of how it upsets her grandchildren. I think it is time she knew she upsets them. I would want to question this woman about what she is doing to her grandchildren. There's a part of me that's so angry for poor Muffin's children and poor Muffin who cannot even say to her DH that her MIL is not being fair to their children for fear he will become aggressive. This is a very disturbing situation.

I presume that Muffin's DH and her BIL are brothers? Could Muffin's DH talk to his brother about Isobel's treatment of the other children? Or is not safe for Muffin to talk to her DH about this, even concerning his brother?

There are lots of lovely bits of advice on this thread. I like grandtanteJE65 above and agree "stop pussy-footing around this wee girl and ask her nicely to adhere to your standards when she is playing with your children." It is as important for your children as it is for Isobel.

I realise the wetting issue can be seen as tricky but I did know in the past two little girls who would deliberately not use the loo or potty and would wet their pants at exactly the most difficult moment. It has been known as a behaviour children use for attention. If I remember correctly, girls were more inclined to wee and boys more inclined to no.2 to get attention and boys would do it to a later age even up to 6. Bed-wetting is totally different.

MissAdventure Mon 21-Oct-19 19:20:12

Well, perhaps someone could look at why a little 3 year old, left in the sole care of a man who isn't her dad, and isn't allowed to direct her, in the company of people she doesn't know might be wanting attention?

All 3 year olds push, shove, and aren't keen on sharing.

Usually though, they have someone who loves them to guide them in the right direction; its a shame this little girl seems to be lacking that.

luluaugust Mon 21-Oct-19 19:35:14

muffin I well remember your posts of last year. I am thinking "Isabel" is an only child who has had mummy all to herself. Suddenly there is man who gives mummy lots of attention and then a new gran and other small children she has to share things with. Its not difficult to see she has had a lot to cope with. Equally your children are expected to share their presents, not like the ordinary toy box many grans have. It would probably be a waste of time trying to sort it out with your MIL so how about chatting to the other mum. You could explain, as best you can, some of the ups and down with your either very eccentric or very cruel MIL. She might be grateful for the warning!

natasha1 Tue 22-Oct-19 00:06:01

I fell for you, and think.people making out the wrong things I understand that you are wanting to answer your childrens questions, a year of.being I'm 'isabels' family seems quite a.long time, could you not sit down with your, husband, mil, bil and partner just over coffee nothing formal and and let them know your children are asking questions and you aren't sure how to address them, hopefully a year from now all will have sorted itself the children will be a bit older, and as you say they all get on.
Good luck.x
Ps no a few kids who will take their clothes off at this age, it won't continue for ever.