Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Hating the inappropriate name

(174 Posts)
onlyruth Sun 20-Oct-19 13:48:43

Before I start, it's absolutely down to my daughter and son in law what they call their child. I'm very aware that there are whole areas of being a grandmother where I have to back off and not interfere. But I'm struggling with this more than is sensible and I need to get my head straight.

The name that they're planning on giving their daughter, due soon, I hate. And it's raised some eyebrows when my daughter's been asked by other family members, but again, people have tried to bite their tongue. I'm sorry that I'm not saying what it is, but I'm terrified that if my daughter googled it, that she'd find this post (so please don't speculate and type any guesses in your responses).
The connotations of the name (think stripper/prostitute) are such that I simply can't imagine using it to a tiny innocent baby. People's reaction has been to instantly ask what they'll call her for short - I imagine that like me, they're hoping they won't have to use the full name. But they don't have shortened version that they're considering.

Has anyone else felt this way? Do the connotations disappear once the baby 'becomes' their name? Has anyone actually been brave enough to say 'I think this is going to be a difficult name for your daughter to grow up with'? So far the connotations have been only lightly mentioned to them by another family member, and they've not seen a problem.

It doesn't help that some people, though privately thinking it's weird, have to their face said "oh what a lovely name!"
I suppose I want somebody brave (but not me) to be honest!

Anyway, do I try to bite the bullet and use the whole name, or shorten it myself into my pet name for her?

BlueBelle Sun 20-Oct-19 14:49:53

It’s actually now thought of as meaning ‘a strong woman’

I wouldn’t worry so much it’s not an unattractive name and has an easy derivative as long as they are happy with it knowing it’s background Go with it the baby will make the name hers not as bad as I was expecting

notanan2 Sun 20-Oct-19 14:52:06

Oh if its the Tom Jones name, its not uncommon at the moment and is perfectly acceptable. I know a baby D and a preschooler D its fine. Its popular right now

Loislovesstewie Sun 20-Oct-19 14:54:52

I didn't think it was the D name but another one entirely ( and not Mary either).

Urmstongran Sun 20-Oct-19 14:57:47

I don’t read the Bible so Googled ‘biblical name prostitute’. 4 names came up. None of them would have any particular meaning to me and I expect it’s the same for the parents-to-be and others.

MissAdventure Sun 20-Oct-19 14:59:32

I'm thinking of another name, which is lovely. smile

Nannarose Sun 20-Oct-19 15:00:37

OK, I have known a similar situation , and this is my suggestion, as you are mother / granny.
firstly check it's not because of a much loved aunt of baby's father!

Quietly say something like:
I think this is a lovely name, but I just want to check that you have listened to the words of the song and know the Biblical story it's based on.

The 'pop culture'reference is quite an enduring one, especially as it's sung as a football song (can't remember which team) and they have been asked to stop using it because of its violent lyrics. You might even be able to bring that up, saying 'well, I hadn't quite realised, but this team have been asked to stop singing it.....'

By saying you personally like the name, you have pre-empted the idea that you are interfering.

It is astonishing to me how so many people just don't listen to song lyrics: the situation I was on the fringe of, I said to a friend of the parents 'have they listened to the song?' He said ' they say they have, but they only really know the hook - I'm going to make sure they listen to it all'. They did, and changed their minds. That was another pop song, but one that has endured a long time.

They can always use it as a middle name, so the little girl can use it when she's older.

I am also assuming that dad is conversant with British popular culture. For instance, for a long time, very few girls in Britain were called Lolita or its variants, but that didn't extend to Spanish / Latin culture.

Urmstongran Sun 20-Oct-19 15:02:26

Gosh this is like a guessing game now - Can we ask for 50/50 otherwise I might have to phone a friend!

If it bothers you & you think the girl may get teased about it in the future I’d mention it casually to the parents as in ‘did you know ..’. Once you’ve flagged it up to them, it’s over to them if they choose to use it. I’m sure the gorgeous girl will melt your heart and she will grow into her name!

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 15:03:30

It’s actually a lovely name, and only older people perhaps wouldn’t like it.Young people and children won’t think anything wrong about it.
Common names now are:Alfie, Elsie, Ruby, Fred, George, Harry, Lily.I don’t like any of them, but children think they are just fine.

onlyruth Sun 20-Oct-19 15:07:56

I'm reassured that some of you know people with the name, and with no problems. I'd honestly not come across it anywhere in real life!

If it's actually becoming popular right now, all the better. I'm glad I posted this - you're making me see it a bit differently.

onlyruth Sun 20-Oct-19 15:09:45

...and yes, re: the age thing - I know my Mum and my much loved 90 year old aunt are going to be horrified by the name! And they've both reached the stage where they don't filter!
I really hope they don't say anything to upset my daughter, when they meet the baby.

BlueBelle Sun 20-Oct-19 15:17:31

I think Tom Jones sang about a D and J so not sure which one we are talking about now

notanan2 Sun 20-Oct-19 15:20:20

I know one J (bit older). Its not popular, but IMO has sort of been reclaimed in a feminist way, as in women that were called witches in the past were actually wise women/healers/midwives/activists.

I dont think it'll ever be as popular as D but it is not "bad" in fact there are songs reclaiming it as meaning strong wise woman who the patriarchy tried to put down so..

notanan2 Sun 20-Oct-19 15:22:45

Its a heroine in folk songs.

Anyone using J as an insult these days would be seen as very old fashioned

onlyruth Sun 20-Oct-19 15:24:27

It's the D one!

notanan2 Sun 20-Oct-19 15:27:09

Well then. Its very "on trend" / "now"

I dont think people will be hmm about it, especially not from the childs generation.

P.s. I just asked my girls if they know who Tom Jones is, they don't.

yggdrasil Sun 20-Oct-19 15:54:03

So no-one is actually saying the name? :-)

J was a Phoenician princess in the 9th century who married Ahab, the prince of Israel. Eventually, they ruled as king and queen. J continued worship the nature god Baal. The Yahweh prophet Elijah despised such actions and they were the ones who wrote the 'fake news' in the Bible, about a woman who was probably a good wife and queen.
There are several possible diminutives if you want to use them.
(Elijah was the guy who called a troop of bears to eat up some boys who had been mocking him)

Greenfinch Sun 20-Oct-19 15:54:59

I used to teach Chinese girls.When they arrived aged 11 they came with an English name chosen by themselves or a relative.We had a Gladys and an Ivy and even a Barbie but the most difficult was Windy.We explained that this might not be appropriate and perhaps she might like Wendy but ,no, her aunt had chosen it and so Windy she remained.It was surprising how quickly we all got used to it.

blondenana Sun 20-Oct-19 15:57:29

I wonder if the name is the same as my next door neighbours have called their last baby,also a Tom Jones connection, from what i gather it is becoming very popular,and it was a very popular song in the 60s
I don't know if this name has sexual connotations though,i have never thought about it,
Must listen to the song

NotAGran55 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:01:54

The D song is also the Stoke City football ⚽️ song .

Sara65 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:05:30

If it’s what I assume it is, I think it’s quite sweet. But I would still point it out tactfully in case your daughter is unaware.

Three children and six grandchildren, I’ve heard a lot worse over the years.

blondenana Sun 20-Oct-19 16:24:28

I had to google the name and i didn't even know she was a prostitute,i only knew it as as song, never even heard the name before TJ song
I wouldn't worry ,i bet the baby's parents don't know the history of it either
One of my great grandchildren is called Josie, and i hate it,also reminds me of used to be friend
I haven't been able to say it yet,but she's only a baby yet
Maybe call the baby by the first letter of her name and add ee,as a pet name,if it's the one i'm thinking it is smile

Eglantine21 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:26:01

I think the song and potential teasing is more of a problem than the biblical reference.

The bible story was written from a Jewish point of view. To their enemies she was a mighty heroine!

And if you listen to the words of the song she did nothing more than prefer another man to the abusive stalker who killed her......

DanniRae Sun 20-Oct-19 16:31:17

If it's the name I am thinking of I really like it smile

Eglantine21 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:33:09

Oh unless it’s the J song.......

BlueBelle Sun 20-Oct-19 16:38:47

Oh the D name oh that’s fine I very much doubt if that would be connected with prostitution with today’s generation
When I used to hear the song I never really thought of it as connected to prostitution I really wouldn’t worry about that one too much
I thought it was going to be worse