Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandparent Advice Greatly Appreciated!

(92 Posts)
Pudsy2019 Tue 05-Nov-19 14:32:15

Hello Grandparents,
I am new here and at my wits end so am looking for some friendly honest advice. I am not a grandparent but a mum and to be honest the reason I am asking for advice from you knowledgeable people is because I am trying to see things from a grandparents perspective because I feel very stuck at the moment.
I apologise in advance for the long post and will greatly appreciate any thoughts or advice as I am genuinely at a loss because I am trying to avoid conflict and hurt!
I am married with 2 children (a stepson and a daughter). My MIL is quite vocal at times and I feel also pushy with her opinion at times but I have always shaken it off to keep the peace.
I have been in my stepsons life from a very young age and my now husband had to go through the court process to gain access. 6 years down the track we are in a really good place with shared custody and a good relationship with my stepsons mum.
My MIL is Gran and she was initially very vocal about how my husband should fight for access etc as she felt hurt as she wanted to also be able to see her Grandson.
I then fell pregnant with our child and we welcomed a daughter, there was instances where she made some real nasty comments that I personally felt were out of line but I did not retaliate.
My husband has not had a strong relationship with his mother from underlying issues from growing up but still takes the view of 'it is still my mum'
I am very close to my family and we see them regularly, they pop in for a cuppa, say hi to the kids and have an excellent relationship with them.

Now this is my dilemma that I am struggling with. I feel like my in-laws think my family is 'too involved or intrusive' which both myself and husband do not have an issue with....we love the fact that they make an effort to see the children, treat my stepson the same and pop in for a chat. I have a very close relationship with my mum and I feel my MIL resents this but it's my mum and we are close! Without sounding rude I am never going to have that same relationship with her.
From the outset MIL always tried to make it sound like she needed to be 'invited' to which I replied in a nice manner....don't wait for invites because that won't happen....family has an open invite, you are basically welcome to call in whenever, you can call to see if we are home or just call past...no invite needed. We live about a 10 minute drive away.
A few years down the track and we have seen no real effort unless we initiate it. This frustrates my husband.
Despite finding my MIL hardwork and she does have sly digs in the things she has said, I would NOT block her from seeing her grandchildren.
The issue that I do have is that she plays my husband and I and now I don't know what to say without being hurtful.
On the rare occassions we do see them (probably see them maybe 8 times a year), she always makes comments about wanting to take them out for the day which really irritates me...the reason being is she tells me what days she is free and how she wants to spend time with them so it all needs to fit in with her....but because she does not make any effort to see them on a regular basis and does not appear to have any interest in calling in to see them at home it really makes me feel like she just wants to see them on her terms, to suit herself and parade them for the day with a big doting Gran sticker on then hand them back until she wants to repeat it all again when she sees fit. This really irritates me and I don't actually feel comfortable sending them off for the day....she took my stepson once and her comments made it clear it had been about her and not.
NOW I do not want to start a grandparent war or insult any Grandparents and I would NOT have an issue with her taking the children out for the day....but I feel like she should spend more time with them first to actually get to know them better....call in, see them etc, then maybe take them to the local park, then if we see some consistent effort we have no issue with a day trip to the fun park etc.
Am I being unreasonable to think this? Do you think it is fair for me to say you need to actually bond and build a relationship with them first before you can just take off for a full day?
I am now in a position where she has asked me to ask my stepsons mum if she can take him for the day (I know what the answer will be as she does not think highly of her).
I feel like I am going to look like I am just trying to be difficult or too protective but I am genuinely not, I just want her to see the children in their home environment so they have a better relationship before full day trips are planned.
I have more I can add but will leave it as this for now.
Thank you for reading this far and I genuinely appreciate anyone's thoughts on how I am viewing the situation and how I should handle it. I do not want to cause upset or hurt but at the same time I need to think of my children and what I and them may or may not be comfortable with.

Summerlove Thu 07-Nov-19 11:27:42

I normally agree with most of you points hithere but this,

*Step mom doesn't want anything to do with MIL (I dont blame her) but she lets offers her child as sacrificial lamb - what a shame. That child deserves a better mother
It is unfair for her to drop the responsibility of her child having a relationship with your MIL on you and dh.*

It’s NOT the child’s mother’s job to ensure that son has a relationship with her former MIL, it’s the child’s fathers job. It’s his mother, and he has visitation time.

Re “pop-ins”, it sounds like your MIL, wants you to stand on ceremony for her and properly invite her each time. She wants to be chased.
That said, I do think that in addition to having your open door, you should invite her now and then.

I won’t comment on “alone” visits, only you can decide if you’re comfortable.

Hithere Thu 07-Nov-19 12:40:58

Summerlove,
Re: stepson visits - I agree with you, I did not express myself properly in my post.

Pudsy2019 Thu 07-Nov-19 12:54:10

Thank you everyone. I know different people have different views and I respect that but thank you for actually all being polite and respectful to me also, even when your views are different.
Just to clarify a couple of things to several points.
1. She has only ever taken my stepson out once. That was when she made it such a painful event...complained about no pushchair despite him a fantastic little walker and he was well out of a pushchair...and no she is not poor, but asked for the money for her and his entry fee to the theme park. It was her 'idea'. We hadn't asked her to take him there.
Secondly, the one time I asked her to look after our daughter who was still relatively young, the reason I asked her to stay home with her was because it was only for a few hours, was wet and windy, my daughter had been under the weather and we were travelling a few days later and I just wanted her to be as well as possible for travelling. When she purposely said 'I can't just sit in doing nothing' that was her way of totally dismissing my request. I was actually a bit gobsmacked as I would of thought sitting in and spending quality time with your grand daughter wouldn't exactly be classed as 'doing nothing'.

With regards to the stepmum situation....yes she could talk to us about seeing him when he is in our care or actually see him frequently when he is in our care but for some reason she wants to take him on outings when he is NOT in our care and wants us to try and facilitate that.

We do offer 'invites' from time to time, we haven't just sat silent. The only time their is any real form of communication is if my husband initiates it. There is zero communication from MIL's end....no phone calls, no texts etc, no nothing.....and then I have been told by another family member 'she cries because she can't see her grandchildren'!!!!!!! We are HERE....10 mins down the road, we have never said your not welcome or can't see them.
Maybe I should have put more in my original post but I didn't feel it fair to just go straight out pointing out all her what I find 'odd'... (and no offense meant as it may not be odd to others) behaviour.
You have all helped with your input and I feel a lot more settled in my own mind that I am not a monster of a DIL by thinking she needs to work up to me feeling comfortable to let her take my children out for the full day when she has given me the impression she wants it all or nothing.
Thank you again!

Pudsy2019 Thu 07-Nov-19 13:39:14

Also I guess the more questions people have asked and points they have raised brings other things to the forefront on my mind....it can be hard to put so much into words. I am in no way perfect and don't claim to be but I have also tried to be accomodating and compromise. As examples,
I will be blunt....she has said and done some real nasty things to me which I have tried to be what I believe to be the bigger person and not retaliate or stoop to her nastiness.
I have tried different 'tacts'. The rare times she has come to our place I have been polite and spent time with her to try and make her feel included then on other occassions i have considered she may well feel uncomfortable if she feels like I am 'sitting over her' so have still been home but said things like 'hey kids, you can show Gran how to play your new game or Gran might like to see your new books, if you ask nicely she might read them to you' then I have made myself busy with washing or even going as far to say 'do you mind if I leave you guys to it while I catch up on some chores'
Another example was mother's day....she wanted us all to meet for a breakfast out, I had told my husband prior to this that all I wanted for mothers day was a breakfast out with him and the kids as our little family. I then said to him that we could then perhaps all meet later in the day for cake at the coffee shop so he could still see his mum and i could see mine. He enforced this and let's just say she was NOT HAPPY, she turned up but it was clear she was grumpy....to the point she didn't even order anything!
I think I just have to face facts that she does not like or respect me....I will be honest and say I did notice a shift in her personality towards me once she realised I wouldn't jump to her every suggestion or comment.....and once she knew my mum was coming in the labour room with me and husband (at the request of both my husband and I).
As the saying goes 'you can't please them all'. At least I know I have tried and stayed polite when I could have just been nasty so I am not going to feel guilty....especially after reading what some other grandparents have gone though.
Thank you all again.

Hithere Thu 07-Nov-19 14:06:30

Pusdy,
You have more than tried to make it work with your MIL and she clearly wants her way or the highway.

If you had a bingo card with "what not to do if you want to be a good mil", she would hit them all.

grapefruitpip Thu 07-Nov-19 14:16:34

She is a manipulative narcissist. You will never " win". Sit down with your husband and agree a way forward.

In the meantime check information on narcissism on you tube, I guarantee it will ring big old bells.

Summerlove Thu 07-Nov-19 14:17:40

It sounds like you’ve done far more than most Pudsy.

Time to let her put some effort in.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Nov-19 14:25:32

Just answer her back when she says things you don't like. Stop pussyfooting around her. Doesn't sound like you've you have much to lose and neither have your children. Stand up to her.

And if she still wants to take the kids off your hands for a few hours, let her.

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Summerlove Thu 07-Nov-19 14:36:06

Gonegirl, why should she send the children off with someone who not only disregards their needs, but doesn’t actually seem to care that they are more than dolls to play with?

Her job as their parent is to protect them from hurt. That includes emotional pain, especially from those who proclaim to care about them.

Why hurt them kids so MIL can feel important? If she wants to spend time with them, she can start by doing it with the children’s parents involved. If she refuses to do that, then she doesn’t actually want to relationship with the children.

Hithere Thu 07-Nov-19 14:52:31

Gonegirl,
You recommend for OP, an adult, to stand up to MIL but still let her have unsupervised access to the kids when those poor kids cannot stand up for themselves.
It makes no sense whatsoever.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Nov-19 15:45:06

I'm sure she would be fine taking them out for a few hours, even if she isn't always dropping in or fussing over them all the time. So long as the kids want to, let them. Might even help the family situation.

agnurse Thu 07-Nov-19 15:55:02

Gonegirl

The problem is that the MIL doesn't really know the children that well, and on the few occasions that she has taken them out, she has indicated that she's not willing to follow the parents' boundaries. That's not a safe situation.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Nov-19 16:03:32

I'm not sure I'd want to drop in on pudsey2019 tbh.

The kids will soon learn to object if they don't want to be taken out by their other Granny.

Summerlove Thu 07-Nov-19 19:31:11

The kids will soon learn to object if they don't want to be taken out by their other Granny.

Why do you always assume the worst about young posters, and jump onside to the “mil is is fine, Dil is unreasonable” side?

Hithere Thu 07-Nov-19 20:25:18

Gonegirl,
The stepson already objects to be taken to grandma to spend the day with her.
So wise for his young age.

Buffybee Thu 07-Nov-19 21:36:05

Pudsy2019, one thing that stood out for me, was that your Mil has spoken to you many times in a nasty and disrespectful way.
You say that you ignore the comments to be polite and the better person.
All you have done is given her more power to insult you any time she wants and she knows that you will just take it.
The best thing that you could do the next time she speaks to you in a nasty way, is to tell her that you won't be spoken to in that way and either walk away with your kids or tell her to leave.
Quite honestly this woman sounds like an absolute nightmare, if it was me she would be long gone.