Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Not able to see our grandchildre. Miss our relationships with him, wife, and children.

(41 Posts)
JeanHarmony Fri 31-Jan-20 17:25:14

Son is behaving very angry and hateful toward myself and my husband. I have looked after 2 of the grandchildren for 4 years each 8 years in all and had lots of involvement and love for them. His anger has been going on for 3 years and getting worse. Before Christmas he returned presents and said he did not what to see us again and not to phone him. We had not seen him for months and had phoned to tell him we want to talk. We keep in touch no matter what. I never imagined in a million years that things would come to this. I feel we have been very good parents. Helping them, out with mortgage, helping with business, did his accounts for 14 years, and being close to his family, dinners, bar b ques, shopping together, walking in the forest. We have 2 other children who have children and we get on well but he won t talk to them either. He tells them how terrible we are.
I try to get on with my life and have family around but I love my grandchildren and I know they miss me and are very sad at not having us in their lives. Have others had these things happen and how do you manage it. I need some friends who understand this situation.

Starlady Thu 12-Mar-20 05:49:28

Sandmb, I'm so sorry you lost access to your 5 GC, and I'm glad you were able to regain it. And that you didn't have to spend as much as if you hired a solicitor.

I'm confused about one thing though. Where were the parents in all this? Did the case actually go to court or were you able to work it out in mediation? I ask this b/c I know some people are able to come to an agreement in mediation and others aren't.

If it went to court, didn't the parents fight you? Are they in an intact marriage/relationship? Did they agree... sigh... that you should not be part of your GC's lives? To my understanding, these are significant details which can impact the direction a case takes. IMO, they are distinctions which a GP needs to consider before taking the legal route.

Starlady Thu 12-Mar-20 05:59:03

"A GP does not need GC."

Hmmm, agnurse, I agree that a GP, generally, is not "entitled" to have access to their GC or to have the exact amount of access that they want. But I'm not sure if any of us can measure another person's emotional needs. As far as I can see, EGPs often feel a void that they can't totally fill even if theyt make sure to have other interests in their lives. That seems to be especially true if they were deeply involved w/ their GC at some point. I get that this isn't a physical/biological need like food or water. But I have no doubt that it can be an emotional need. The parents might have their reasons why they feel they can't respond to that need by allowing access. But that doesn't mean the GP doesn't feel that need.

Starlady Thu 12-Mar-20 06:00:19

*they, not theyt, LOL!

Sandmb Thu 12-Mar-20 12:08:42

Hi yes it did go to court as the parents would not enter into mediation would not speak in any way. The parents in the end to cafcass agreed I should be in their lives but under supervision because they are scared I’m going to run tge parents down. But I can’t be bothered the children are my priority and once upon a time I might of wanted a relationship with the parents but not now. The court have now ordered mediation so we will have to see how that works. The children are most important and the best interest of them is vital. I didn’t do this for tge sake of doing this I did this as I had no other choice if I wanted to be in the children’s lives and them in mine I would much preferred to go to mediation but it seems everything I ask for they said no and now they are doing things I suggested in October but I do agree there is always a lot to consider when going to court but in my case it was the right decision as I’m now going to see them

Summerlove Thu 12-Mar-20 18:25:47

I hope the right decision for you will also be the right choice for your grandchildren. Be prepared, it might not be smooth sailing.

Sandmb Fri 13-Mar-20 10:40:30

Hi because of the parents actions nothing is or is going to be plain sailing but I have to try and at least the children will know in years to come that I loved them and wanted them in my life and me in theirs and it was because of tge parents. Secrets never stay secrets whether it’s 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months or 20 years the children will know that I tried and I loved them lots

elana909 Mon 16-Mar-20 13:27:00

I think all us grandparents deprived of seeing our grandchildren make us go to the ends of the earth to see them no matter the cost or legalities involved. I am seeking mediation today in fact and will continue with courts if necessary. I have read many legal sites that say if you have had contact with your grandchildren for long terms in your life then courts very unlikely would deny visitation of a grandchild. I love my daughter and although she has given her reasons why she wont allow me to see my grandaughter, the reasons have nothing whatsoever to do with me personally. I have text and called so many times receiving the same silly messages of why I cant see her. I am hoping should the courts allow me to be heard they will also see just how unreasonable my daughter and her partner are being. Hopefully upon receiving a letter to meet at mediation they will realize just how serious I am being. I will keep the forum posted with my progress and outcome...

elana909 Mon 16-Mar-20 13:34:38

Sandmb, I'm so pleased for you and your outcome in order to see the grandchildren. No grandmother wants to take family to court but sometimes we have no choice do we really, if after all the begging and pleading has got you nowhere then what choice do we have, congratulations on your results...

Summerlove Mon 16-Mar-20 16:38:33

No grandmother wants to take family to court but sometimes we have no choice do we really, if after all the begging and pleading has got you nowhere then what choice do we have, congratulations on your results...

You do have a choice though. You choose to go to court instead of allowing your children to parent their children.

There are many reasons to make that choice, but it is a choice.

Sandmb Wed 01-Apr-20 16:14:27

Hi summer love. Yes I agree to a point I did have a choice try and see my grandchildren or walk away and never see them again so I felt there wasn’t a choice as I wanted to be part of their lives and me in theirs as they had all been a big part of my life before they was taken. It was like I needed to grieve for the loss of them but couldn’t as the parents was haunting me so I made the choice of going to court and if I had lost when the children get older and they find me and say why didn’t you bother seeing us I can say I tried but their parents got their way and here’s the proof. Going to court isn’t the answer for everyone but my gc was more important so I chose to go to court

Leaannbo Wed 01-Apr-20 22:07:20

@Sandmb My Mil thought like you. I love them so much,I need to be in their lives etc....Took us to court and lost. She swore up and down to eveyone who would listen that my children would want her in their lives. Guess what? They didn't and don't now. Mil got the blame quite rightly when they turned 18 yo. She waited and waited for them to come to her and when they didn't she went to them and got her feelings extremely hurt. She ended up dying alone,cremated by the goverment and no one bothered to pick up her ashes.

OutsideDave Tue 07-Apr-20 17:35:10

Silly reasons?! Your daughter suspects your husband of child sexual abuse and you’ve dismissed her! That’s not a silly reason and the fact that you think it is should hopefully be sufficient evidence for the court that your daughter has made the right call!!!!

OutsideDave Tue 07-Apr-20 21:39:53

Sandmb - lots of ‘me mine my I’ in your statement vs anything that relates to the best interest of your grandkids.

Sandmb Wed 08-Apr-20 19:27:07

Me being in my grandchildren’s lives is in the best interest of the children and I certainly wouldn’t of done it if I thought any different

OutsideDave Thu 09-Apr-20 17:51:25

Why? Why do you think you know better than their parents? Are they not fit parents? What function do you serve that is so essential that only you can fulfill it?