Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandchild’s sex will be a surprise

(34 Posts)
DillytheGardener Sun 09-Feb-20 11:10:00

Like the title really, my Son and DIL are keeping the gender of their bub on the way a surprise and will find out at the birth what they will have.
Initially I was disappointed as I wanted to find out and buy some special heirloom pieces, but now I’m actually quite excited that we have to wait to know.
I’m crossing fingers for a girl as I had two boys, DIL and son also hoping for girl, but we all just excited for the new member of the family and hoping healthy and happy.
Is this a new trend? It was all pre birth gender reveals with my friends GC recently perhaps going back with old fashioned surprises now!
I asked dil what she wanted for baby in terms of outfits, and she said she doesn’t mind, baby can be a ‘mash up’ of everyone’s tastes! Her only request clothes be fire safe and natural materials. I’m babbling but I’m very excited!

Baggs Thu 13-Feb-20 07:18:07

It's never a surprise. It's always a boy or a girl.

If anyone asked me whether I wanted a boy or a girl, I said "Yes".

Grammaretto Thu 13-Feb-20 07:45:52

Congratulations Dilly when's it due? (not exactly of course but you know what I mean!)

We didn't have routine scans back in the day but when my #4 was expected, I was older and opted for an amniocentesis. I was asked several times if I wanted to know, after 3 boys I guess they were anxious to tell me it was a girl but even my GP threw the notes into the bin so he would forget.

My reasoning was, if I'd been told I was having another boy I might have been a tiny bit disappointed but when the baby arrives you are meeting this new life for the first time and you are not disappointed. I was extremely surprised as I didn't think we did girls in our family. Girls are rare on DH's side.

Your story Julia's is very sad,

Grammaretto Thu 13-Feb-20 07:50:46

Baggs grin

DD didn't want to know the sex of her baby but her brothers took bets!

CassieJ Thu 13-Feb-20 09:57:52

My 4th grandchild is now overdue [ due last weekend ], second child for the parents, They haven't wanted to know the sex of either child. So a lovely surprise still awaits.

I like the idea of not finding out the sex. I had my 3 eldest in the 70's and scans couldn't tell the sex then. Had my last child in 2000 and could have found out, but didn't as I wanted a surprise.

Grammaretto Thu 13-Feb-20 10:40:02

CassieJ
Hope all goes very well. How exciting.
I don't think there'll be any more DGC for us now. though you never know We'll have to wait until the DGGC!

MummoCreamer19 Thu 07-May-20 00:17:14

It’s exciting for it to be a surprise. Nowadays it really seems as if the expectant parents either want to be surprised or know the sex but keep it to themselves. Congratulations though, that’s very exciting and being surprised is another reason to be even more excited.

Grannynannywanny Thu 07-May-20 08:18:37

Both my AC and spouses chose not to know in advance and it all added to the lovely excitement on the day.

When dil was in labour her midwife said she felt excited as it was 2 years since she’d delivered a baby that the gender was unknown.

I think for some now it’s social media driven. 12 week scan posted online, the gender reveal, the baby’s wardrobe have all been seen months in advance.

My daughter’s friend 12yrs ago decided to have a 3D scan and send it to both sets of parents.

They excitedly spent 18 weeks preparing for their grandson and the new arrival was a girl ! So the scans certainly aren’t 100% accurate

Jane10 Thu 07-May-20 08:34:38

Another grandchild is always exciting. Just one pedantic thought though - you can't buy an heirloom. It's by definition something that is inherited from the family not just bought. You could buy something that, in time, might be passed down the family.
Sorry to be so snippy!