Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Paternal grandmother decided she wants grand son on weekends

(28 Posts)
Val65 Sun 09-Feb-20 13:04:25

The problem is my daughter is autistic, she was put on the spot , by her sons grandmother to have him at weekends, normally that would not be a problem, but she only comes round for his birthday and Christmas, and that is in the same month , then she expects him to go with her 2 months later , she did this last year , he went and I had to go with him as I am his main carer , he is struggling at the moment, he is being assessed for autism just like his mum , he said to me after her last visit , can you come with me , I said do you want to go , he said no , I was just wondering if he should go , he has nothing to do with his dad , he walks past him in the street , he held him once after he was born that was it .

M0nica Wed 11-Mar-20 15:37:52

Grandparents have no rights of any kind at all. So the child's mother decides when and if grandparents see the child. The grand parents have no rights whatsoever to demand to see him.

If the child is autistic then it is essential that his interests come first and anyone looking after him fully understands his needs and special requirements.

You do not mention his father, Is he still involved in his life. I would go and talk to Citizen's Advice or a solicitor to be absolutely of your daughter and grandsons legal rights , so inappropriate care by this other grandmother, which may harm the child is strictly limited .

Sandmb Sun 15-Mar-20 11:10:30

That’s true there are no grandparents rights but there is rights for the children to have grandparents in their lives so definately get advice. Don’t give up otherwise they will miss out on your relationship with him and him with you