Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Baby shower in Canada that I can’t be there for, what is the right thing to send?

(40 Posts)
Pogle Wed 12-Feb-20 21:17:29

I will be flying over to meet my new grandchild in May, and had been planning to bring various gifts with me then, but have just been invited to a surprise baby shower for my d-in-law by her sister. This will be in a fortnight, which I obviously can’t get to. I am not sure, having never experienced a baby shower, what would be the best thing to do. Any advice gratefully received!

gillybob Wed 12-Feb-20 21:21:13

You’re not Prince Charles in disguise are you Pogle?

Sorry . Just wondering . hmm

Pogle Wed 12-Feb-20 21:59:55

So that’s why I keep talking to plants...smile

Urmstongran Wed 12-Feb-20 22:11:05

gillybob ? that was witty!

CanadianGran Wed 12-Feb-20 22:29:55

Any nice outfit or blanket will do. Sometimes people will chip in for a group gift such as stroller or car seat, especially if it is a first child. You could ask the sister if there is such a gift planned. Another idea would be a nice plate/cup set, perhaps ordered on line and delivered to the house.
The Bay is a popular department store that delivers.

tanith Wed 12-Feb-20 22:39:20

How weird to invite you when you obviously won’t be going. Just send a gift as the others have suggested.

GrannyLaine Wed 12-Feb-20 22:40:51

If you are unable to attend the baby shower, do you need to send a gift? I think in your position I would perhaps wait and take gifts as planned when your grandchild arrives.

NanaandGrampy Wed 12-Feb-20 22:43:14

I think it’s lovely that you’ve been invited even though they know you can’t attend . It makes you feel thought of and part of it - we always do that in our family .

I’d send something to keep . A beautiful photo frame, a photo album or similar . Or because of the distance a voucher and a thoughtful card .

Callistemon Wed 12-Feb-20 23:03:15

Be careful about sending anything at all - it's supposed to be a surprise!!

Ask her sister what would be an appropriate small gift and send it to her, not your DIL or you will let the cat out of the bag.

I wouldn't send anything, buy what they need when you go over in May.

Summerlove Wed 12-Feb-20 23:31:29

I think it was sweet they invited you.

I’d likely just send something small

Maybe from amazon.ca or toysrus.ca

MissAdventure Wed 12-Feb-20 23:41:46

Pogles Wood.
Oh, I loved that!
It was my favourite programme.

Pogle Wed 12-Feb-20 23:45:29

Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated and really helpful.

Callistemon Wed 12-Feb-20 23:46:43

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A SURPRISE BABY SHOWER

Sorry to shout but if Pogle follows the above suggestions and sends a present to her DIL it won't be a surprise

notanan2 Wed 12-Feb-20 23:58:07

Speak to the organiser and ask if theres any nice extras you can pay for for the party: extra baloons/pastries/decorations/activities.

I would probably contribute to the cost even if I couldnt go, and chip in for group items, then bring my own personal gifts when I visit

notanan2 Thu 13-Feb-20 00:05:26

Maybe a bump painter or caster
Depends on your relationship with DIL and how much you want to treat her

rosecarmel Thu 13-Feb-20 00:22:33

After the shower you can ask her to go online and pick out something she didn't receive but still needs-

Summerlove Thu 13-Feb-20 01:48:56

Callistemon

No one suggested she send the gift to mom to be.

I’m sure we all assumed she’d send the gift to the organiser.

No need to shout

Txquiltz Thu 13-Feb-20 02:39:45

There are so many lovely story books in the U.K....filled with fantasies and beautiful illustrations. While the story might be found in the US, the illustrations are just so plain! Send a wonderful book to be read to your GC and I would have no doubt they will learn it was a "special" gift from you. ??

Starlady Thu 13-Feb-20 04:03:07

Congratulations on your comint GC, Pogle! Bet you can't wait for May! Hope your DIL has an easy delivery!

I definitely think you should check with DIL's sister before buying anything to try to avoid duplicates, etc. I hear some parents today have a baby registry, so you might want to ask the sister about that. And yes, of course, if you send a gift, do send it to the sister for the reason others have said. You don't "have to" send anything since you're not attending, but maybe just a small token and then still bring your other gifts when you visit.

Callistemon Thu 13-Feb-20 10:16:59

Summerlove I have never shouted before at all but no-one seemed to be listening and kept suggesting sending a present.

Actually, just carry on.

Callistemon Thu 13-Feb-20 10:17:39

Ps and no need to be bossy Summerlove

Summerlove Thu 13-Feb-20 15:41:46

I was certainly no bossier than you were?

You “shouted” down well meaning posters for giving their opinions and advice. No one suggested that a present be sent directly to the DIL.

A quick warning not to do so would have been better than “shouting” that we had all advised her poorly

Granny23 Thu 13-Feb-20 15:50:19

A much appreciated gift (that I sent in similar circumstances),
was a 'Baby Book'. It was the kind that you fill in with birthdate, weight, innoculations, etc. It had a section for listing presents received and another for scan and 1st photographs. I still have just such a book from 50 years ago when DD1 was born and gave one to both DDs when their babies were nearly due,

GrannyLaine Thu 13-Feb-20 15:58:05

Play nicely now.
Callistemon makes a valid point and I didn't perceive it as shouting down others opinions.

My youngest daughter (who is pretty forthright and doesn't yet have children) was invited to a friends baby shower and commented incredulously '"So they have a party where I'm expected to take a gift and then the baby is born and I take another gift...... because the baby has arrived. I think I'll pass on the baby shower"

V3ra Thu 13-Feb-20 19:03:27

I think it's lovely and very considerate that your daughter in law's sister has invited you to the baby shower, rather than leaving you out.
You should definitely join in the fun, even though it's from a distance.
I'd suggest a present with a definite English/British theme, eg a Peter Rabbit toy.