Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Struggling with Son living abroad

(104 Posts)
Jojo1515 Sat 07-Mar-20 21:25:33

I'd appreciate advice on going forward please?
We moved abroad when our son was a baby. We didn't get on with our families and for our marriage to survive, we had to leave. A job opportunity came up and the move was the best thing we did. It gave our children a relaxed upbringing. A great education and most importantly, two happy parents. Roll on to the end of our sons education and having met a girl online he moved back to the place of his birth. He is now with a new partner and they have a daughter of their own. He has a good job and is very close to his new partners family. He visits us maybe once a year and we visit him. His new partner is lovely and they are a lovely couple together. But we know he is settled where he is and will not be returning home. From being close to his siblings growing up, its like they are now strangers. Our extended family are smug that they have him back! We are struggling knowing we don't see him much or will be a big part of our Grandchilds life. We skype but it's not the same.
Please help.

Debz7172 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:06:51

Hi Jojo. I can totally understand where you're coming from. My youngest son left home nearly two years ago to travel and teach in China. He did manage to come home for 3 weeks last Sept and we had a wonderful time. We video chat at least two times a week, which is amazing considering the 8 hour time difference. I know that if he does ever come home he will only come bavk temporarily as he wants to travel the globe. I've resigned myself that this is the way it is and I'm so proud of him to have the courage to do, but i also miss him tremendously, unfortunately my husband and myself can't visit him as I'm on medication that is currently banned in China and we wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. We live in a very rural part of Cornwall and there are not many opportunities here for the up and coming. My eldest son also lives in Sheffield so we don't get to see him much either, he is settled with his partner and is unlikely to return to Cornwall, but he is hapoy with his choices and has an amazing job where he is also very happy.

Focus on the fact that your on is happy and making a wonderful lif for he and his family, its hard especially if you're very close, I'm extremely close to my youngest son. Try to push the extended families views away as these negative feelings will hurt you and treasure every moment you get to see and speak to your son. Good luck.

Qwerty Sun 08-Mar-20 10:08:31

My son, DIL and DGD moved to another country, only for a year, but I know it is difficult. They are back now, though still 200 miles away so we don't see a lot of them. They now have two children and a baby on the way. We do have two daughters and four other grandchildren who all live fairly close by. All three adult children got on well as children though they are very different. The two girls hardly see each other nowadays, both have two children and work full time. So even though nearby they aren't a big part of each other's lives. We see the local GC regularly, childcare, which is lovely. Their parents we only see fleetingly but in a crisis everyone comes together. No solutions just pointing out that everyone's lives are so busy nowadays one just has to appreciate the good times and find other activities and people to fill the gaps. Good luck.

Davida1968 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:09:17

JoJo1515, I am sorry to say that you will simply have to learn to live with this. Our DS (only child) & DiL have lived overseas for over twenty years. Now there are two DGC, too. We communicate as often as we can, and I am very grateful for all the modern technology (Skype, etc.) which makes this easy. Annual visits have helped a lot, but sadly the current coronavirus issue means that we haven't booked to go over this summer. When I get sad, I remind myself that they are having a wonderful and happy life - and isn't that everything we hope for our children?

jura2 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:11:05

Depends very much how far 'abroad' ...

we would have never moved away unless we could hop on a plane or train, or the car- and be back with DDs and GCs in 1 day. And we kept a small property there too- so we can always go back in an emergency. So are you in the EU or on the other side of the world?

Pelican Sun 08-Mar-20 10:14:10

Jojo, my son and his family moved to USA last year, and I empathise with how you feel. It has been very difficult, I have felt depressed at times, but you will adapt, make the most of technology, it’s not the same but makes them feel so much closer. I have started letter writing (not done for a long time) to my granddaughters, with stories and pictures, stickers and other stuff for them to craft with. I receive paintings and crafts from them, so still have those treasured paintings. We play games across FT, have made gingerbread together at Christmas. Thankfully I have a lovely DIL who encourages this. As grandchildren are only 3 and 18mths conversations are patchy, I makes me smile when 3 year old tells mum and dad she has not finished chatting yet, or says she has finished and switches off FT. With time difference it has been difficult to talk to son and dil without gk around, which I miss.
We have been to visit them and plan to go again in April, hopefully they will come to UK to visit again soon. Think they plan to make the move permanent, secretly hoping they would return, but would not say this to them. Someone said to me when they made the move, be proud you have given them a good, supportive life, they are confident to make the move and rise to challenges.
Visit your son and his family.
Last year we probably saw more of family, staying with them for 2 x 2 weeks, we probably would not have seen them so much in UK, it condenses our time together, is hard to leave, having a flight booked to see them again makes it easier. At least I am not counting the days til we will be together again.
Am retired now and taken up new and old interests. Wishing you all the best.

annep1 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:14:14

It gets easier but never easy. I will always be so very sad that my children don't live in the same country. I think to myself how many years have I got left of being able to enjoy visits. I'm not well enough to visit much and they rarely visit. One week a year amounts to seeing them 5 weeks in the next 5 years. I will never have them dropping in for a quick chat and a cuppa. I will never have Saturdays shopping with my daughter.. I just get on with my life and try not to think about it. That's all the advice I can offer.

Madmaggie Sun 08-Mar-20 10:17:41

If your extended family are being smug (& therefore cruel) about "having him back" then surely that proves your initial move away was the right thing to do. Rest assured that no matter where he is in the world he will always be your son & you his mum. The parting just has to be endured and you will put a brave face on because you love each other. I do understand. thanks

Minerva Sun 08-Mar-20 10:23:46

I understand but we just have to get over it. I used to visit and so did they but I can no longer make that journey, nor afford to bring their still expanding large family over here. I hate that there is a set of cousins who don’t see the two other sets who are close to each other and most of all I hate not being there for them when illness or accidents occur. But it is what it is and thank goodness for the Internet with all its faults. My advice would be to keep busy and be glad that they are happy.

GreenGran78 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:29:59

Jojo, all you can do is learn to accept the situation, which isn’t easy. Four of my five children emigrated to Australia, between 8 and 21 years ago. My daughter and her two children divorced, and came back, and are now living near me. When we went over for my daughter’s wedding, last November, my GS decided to stay, and live with his father, at least for a while, but he may settle there.
I am going back in April, for the arrival of my son’s first baby, but it may be my last visit. It breaks my heart to think that I may never see them again ‘in the flesh’. It’s very expensive for a whole family to fly here, and I am 80, and the journey gets harder to cope with.
I just give thanks for computers, and the chance to have regular chats, especially with my 3-year old GD. She often chats to me while she eats her breakfast. It means that I get to bed late, but I love it.
So, Jojo, all I can repeat is that you have to gradually get used to the situation, visit them, if you can, and chat to them as often as possible. It grows easier, over time.

red1 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:33:51

its tough when someone moves away.I think its a process that you go through,a sort of grieving process,with its associated stages.My son moved to where his wife was born-'you lose a son when he gets a wife' I definately went through a range of thoughts/emotions, Im at a stage now that next year Im going to live near them,the thought of the move makes me dizzy,but i want to be near them.It is different for everyone really.good luck

mariella22 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:43:00

Hello . Help ! My son and family moved abroad last month. I am very happy for them as ot is a great opportunity for them all. The problem is I would like to facetime. I look dreadful on the screen and don t know how to position the ipad? I seem to be looking sideways at the screen and startled confused. Have you any advice ? Thank you

jura2 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:47:54

If an adult child lived too far to visit often - I would not go and stay for longer than 2 weeks with them, at a time. I would rent a place nearby so I could stay longer without being 'a burden'. I say this because my parents used to come and stay for 3 weeks at a time, and it was hard work. They always broke up their stay, when they were still fit enough- and go away on a couple of days on a trip to visit some place- so we could all get a 'breather'. We do the same for DDs- and never stay more than a few days without giving them - and us- a break. They do the same when they come here- and do their own thing every few days.

Dillyduck Sun 08-Mar-20 10:48:51

Stop dwelling on this, enjoy a good life with your husband. Sometimes you have to let children fly the nest then fly home again. I had 3 great years working in Australia but the call of home in the New Forest brought me home again, appreciating it so much more.

GrannyAnnie2010 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:49:01

It's hard to begin with. For me, personally, I found that it's a shift in the mindset that helped me deal with it. You just have to "train" yourself to see him as being miles away and therefore a hug or a crack at a quip isn't going to be instant. There isn't any one way to deal with this, but with time, you just get used to it. I missed the giggles and the high fives with mine - still do, but I now smile at the memories.

mariella22 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:49:49

Thank you Jura 2 . Good advice

MarieEliza Sun 08-Mar-20 10:52:29

I feel sorry that you’re in this situation. I have a son and a daughter living abroad and between them there are 6 grandchildren. It’s all very well giving logical answers such as saying that young people make their own lives but emotionally it leaves us in a sad space. It’s the emotional side that needs a space to process. I have spoken with others and taken ‘time out’ to think and work through my emotions without trying to put a ‘logical’ solution into the emotional space. This takes time and lots of patience with ourselves. Hope you feel a little happier soon

icanhandthemback Sun 08-Mar-20 10:56:00

One thing that struck me about your upset is that your family whom you left is "smug." If I were you, I'd try to get that out of your mind and, if you can't, seek help for working through this as time has obviously not healed your wounds.
One of our jobs as parents is to give our children wings to fly. If you don't, you end up with unhappy adults who are unable to cope, end up in co-dependant relationships, suffer from anxiety and a host of problems that go along with those scenarios. You have obviously done a sterling job in bringing your son up to fly so feel good that he soared to new lands rather than escaping like you had to.

Dinahmo Sun 08-Mar-20 10:57:00

JoJo1515 Your son visits you once a year and you also may visit him. This is more contact than many people have who live in the same country. As others have said there is Skype and Face time and no doubt your GD will visit you when she is old enough

Guineagirl Sun 08-Mar-20 10:59:44

I don’t know how to help really it must be hard though. My daughter lives three hours away and she sees her new partners Mum and Dad more than us now. They are very nice people and I am happy she has them to depend on it was a worry when she was on her own

grandtanteJE65 Sun 08-Mar-20 11:05:34

I was the one who moved away, and it was difficult for my parents and at times I missed them very much too.

You miss your son and his family, and I am sure he misses you too, though he may not want to admit it.

Try to focus on the positive things here: you visit him and visits you and you get on well with his partner.

This being so, you are in a position that all the gransnetters who don't get on with their DILS will envy you.

I know this probably doesn't help much, but today there is skype, e-mail and facebook plus all the other modern media.

In the 1970s I sometimes waited a week for a letter from my mum and was certain something was wrong before it came. You at least don't have to contend with that,

Guineagirl Sun 08-Mar-20 11:05:54

red1 hope you do, id love to move nearer too it has been suggested very daunting though as prices are higher than here so would have a bit of a gap of price.

annep1 Sun 08-Mar-20 11:09:42

Greengran78 I do feel for you , and everyone else missing families.

missymazda Sun 08-Mar-20 11:37:42

I completely understand that your children must make their own lives but I’ve seen some rather unkind responses to this post. I’m in a very fortunate position and both my daughters are just around the corner, I would be so sad if they made the decision to move away whilst understanding why. FaceTime is a lovely way to stay in touch or Skype or even old fashioned letters. I hope you find ways to cope with the distance, don’t feel you are wrong to feel this way it’s only natural.

millymouge Sun 08-Mar-20 11:44:53

A very dear relative told me once that “you keep your children by letting them go”. Over the years I have found that to be so very true.

jura2 Sun 08-Mar-20 11:50:18

I always had massive respect for my parents who never ever made me feel guilty for living abroad. In the 70s- the UK was a very far place- with massively expensive flights. I visited them twice with a baby and a toddler, by train... a massive undertaking before EuroStar.

They loved coming to visit, and they always came for Christmas as we could not travel due to OH's job.

Whenever I said I felt guilty for not being there for them, as they got much older (they were fit as fiddles, mum into her 80s and dad into his 90s) - they always said they were so happy I had a wonderful life, with a great man and family. I will always be so grateful for that- as I have so many friends whose parents made them feel bad all the time about 'abandonning them' etc.