Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Struggling with Son living abroad

(104 Posts)
Jojo1515 Sat 07-Mar-20 21:25:33

I'd appreciate advice on going forward please?
We moved abroad when our son was a baby. We didn't get on with our families and for our marriage to survive, we had to leave. A job opportunity came up and the move was the best thing we did. It gave our children a relaxed upbringing. A great education and most importantly, two happy parents. Roll on to the end of our sons education and having met a girl online he moved back to the place of his birth. He is now with a new partner and they have a daughter of their own. He has a good job and is very close to his new partners family. He visits us maybe once a year and we visit him. His new partner is lovely and they are a lovely couple together. But we know he is settled where he is and will not be returning home. From being close to his siblings growing up, its like they are now strangers. Our extended family are smug that they have him back! We are struggling knowing we don't see him much or will be a big part of our Grandchilds life. We skype but it's not the same.
Please help.

Callistemon21 Sat 31-Dec-22 13:40:03

silverlining48

Rainbow suggest you start a new thread as this one is already 2 years old.

I think it might be a good idea too, because Rainbow's worries are not just those of a parent/grandparent missing their family who are happily settled overseas.

Rainbow are you in constant contact?

MawtheMerrier Sat 31-Dec-22 17:49:59

It’s never easy but with modern transport and a bit of luck you could hop on a plane or train, or the car- and be back with DCs and GCs in no time . Somebody I know keeps a small property in this country for visits or (even) an emergency.

Callistemon21 Sat 31-Dec-22 22:33:43

MawtheMerrier

It’s never easy but with modern transport and a bit of luck you could hop on a plane or train, or the car- and be back with DCs and GCs in no time . Somebody I know keeps a small property in this country for visits or (even) an emergency.

Good idea.

DH's cousin and her DH have a property in France but a flat in the UK so that they can stay in their own place when they visit family here. They drive to and fro.
It's not like the journey to far flung places, however.