Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What should Great Grandparents be called?

(90 Posts)
millie58 Wed 13-May-20 07:11:21

When my children were young, my husband's parents referred to my husband's Nan as Great Nan when in discussion with my children and they were known as Nan & Grandad.
Now that I am a Grandparent myself, they refer to themselves as Nan & Grandad as well. I have a bad relationship with them and am unsure whether this is just clouding my thought on this matter or whether this is quite normal? Please help!

Elrel Thu 14-May-20 00:30:31

My grandmother said to my toddler daughter ‘You can call me Greatie’ sand we all did.
As a GG myself now I tried to be Greatie and was very careful not to refer to myself as Nanny in case the grandmother thought I was assuming her role. My GGD calls me Nanny and nobody minds at all.
I like a teenage GS calling me G’ma.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 14-May-20 01:35:24

I'm not a gran, but a friend of mine is called Gangsta Gran by her grandchildren (from a David Walliams book?), which I think is delightful! And before you ask, she is not a gangster!

welbeck Thu 14-May-20 01:51:01

reading this has reminded me that when i was very young i assumed that my mother's first name was Martha, because we called her Ma. it was not.
i was referred to simply as the child, which i thought was rather unfair and imprecise, as i had older siblings.
i had to make an effort to answer to my given name when i went to school aged 5+
one day by chance recently i saw an old film from the 40s, where an older sister comes in and says where's the child.
and suddenly i felt as if i understood them, too late.

Pixxie7 Thu 14-May-20 06:26:27

My grandchildren call my mother granna.

barbaranrod Thu 14-May-20 07:57:16

i have rather a lot of grandchildren (14) and great grandchildren (15) ,my grandchildren have always called Nan and grandad ,but my eldest great grandaughter did not want to share the name Nan ,with her mummy ,so we became grandma and grandad ,and so it goes on so to the grands we are Nan and pap and to the greats we are Granma and Grandad ,seems to work for us

Aurora76 Thu 14-May-20 08:27:09

My mum was known by my granddaughter as grandnanny a name she loved. I am nanny or Nan. I think all families decide and are comfortable with.

Tabbycat Thu 14-May-20 10:05:49

We only have one grandson. My husband and I are Granny and Grandad. The American set are Grandma and Grandpa. He only has two great grandparents - my mother who is Great Gran (or GG for short) and GG Jane, again in America. My daughter asked me first what we wanted to be called, before she asked her in-laws. However, he is only two, so he may choose different names for us all ...

Naty Fri 15-May-20 02:54:11

I wasn't lucky enough to know my great grandmothers. I'd say give a different name if you like:

Nana
Nunny
Granny
Grandmamma
GG
Greatma

But really...none of it matters. Focus on your relationships.

Scentia Fri 15-May-20 08:00:06

Big Grandma and Big Grandad

Celeste22 Sat 16-May-20 09:19:12

My dad was Papa s when he became. A great grandfather he became Papa Bob

Lolo81 Mon 18-May-20 04:28:39

As a child I called my great grandparents Granny and Pop the same as my mum. When my children were born they called their great grandparents the same names as I used for them so Gran and Papa (surname) as they were lucky enough to have 3 great grandparents when they were little. I was never confused as to who any of my grandparents were and neither were my kids. The quality of the relationship is more important than a name in my opinion, just focus on your lovely grandchildren and try not to overthink this! All the best.

millie58 Thu 11-Jun-20 21:36:44

Apology for the delay in replying. Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question, it is appreciated.

Joyfulnanna Thu 11-Jun-20 22:19:00

I like narnie, that's so cute?

Joyfulnanna Thu 11-Jun-20 22:20:16

Someone I know calls their great grandma "greaty gram"