Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

My grandchild will be 2 weeks old before I see her

(148 Posts)
HeatherTee Fri 03-Jul-20 10:09:49

Hi - I know that many of you will wonder what’s is so bad about that’; especially if you have grandchildren born at further distance ie. Australia. But that is the issue - we are talking Northern Ireland.
My son and his wife are expecting the birth in about 3 weeks and they are adamant that they want no visitors (even close family) for the first two weeks. Now that lockdown has eased somewhat, we were planning on getting over there as soon as we could. When they gave us this news I couldn’t help feeling very hurt. It’s bad enough that we have to cope with the fact that our daughter in laws parents live only a 45 minute drive away. I am fully expecting that they will not be able to resist a visit albeit very short. Basically, I feel jealous of the other grandparents already and recognise this isn’t good for anyone if I don’t learn to deal with it. Any advice is very welcome.

Curlywhirly Fri 03-Jul-20 13:38:21

Each to their own - I had visitors as soon as I came home with the baby and we were pleased to show him off. Having visitors did not stop us in any way from bonding with the baby; to be honest, I was glad of the visits, especially once my husband went back to work after a week. Most of my visitors were only too pleased to help me and it gave me a chance to have a shower and sort myself out whilst they watched the baby.

HeatherTee Fri 03-Jul-20 13:39:08

Thank you for your very valuable comments - all of them. Of course we need to be extra careful and we have agreed we will isolate for those two weeks before travelling. We are taking what we feel is the safest form of transport (ferry) so we have the option to go on deck. We are not staying with my son and daughter in law, but booking self contained accommodation (not a hotel). Our intention of course is to see our grandchild, but also be ‘on hand’ should they need anything. And yes indeed, jealousy will just tear us apart. Thank you once again for help getting my head sorted ?

Hithere Fri 03-Jul-20 13:42:27

It doesnt matter that you are self isolating before trip.

That effort is cancelled and meaningless the second you put your foot out the door and go on the ferry and your accommodations.

HeatherTee Fri 03-Jul-20 13:46:09

I suppose my point is, that we are respecting my son’s wishes.

Hithere Fri 03-Jul-20 13:58:13

I commend you for respecting your son and dil's wishes for the 2 week wait.

Enjoy the visit!

GrannyLaine Fri 03-Jul-20 14:53:22

How sensible they are to make their wishes known ahead of time so that there can be no misunderstanding. It's such a special time that they can never have again as they learn to be parents to their precious new baby. I can understand your longing to see your new grandchild, but your patience will pay dividends flowers

Callistemon Fri 03-Jul-20 15:49:03

Hithere

It doesnt matter that you are self isolating before trip.

That effort is cancelled and meaningless the second you put your foot out the door and go on the ferry and your accommodations.

Yes, it is. You need to self-isolate for two weeks after getting there.
I wouldn't be rushing to cuddle a new baby if I'd just travelled on public transport of any kind just at the moment.

Is it possible to do that?

NotSpaghetti Fri 03-Jul-20 20:07:07

Callistemon, presumably the mum too - whose immune system will be lower. I believe it takes a while to get back to "normal" after being suppressed during pregnancy.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jul-20 20:12:16

I didn't know that, NotSpaghetti!

Bibbity Fri 03-Jul-20 20:57:47

Agree with above. If you want to get near them. And actually love them and prioritise their health over your desperation you need to go there. Isolate for two weeks and then see them.

TanaMa Sat 04-Jul-20 09:09:16

Heavens above there are far worse things going on in the world than worring which set of grand parents are going to see a new baby first! I thought 'no visitors' meant NO visitors. Still if that is all you have to worry about - lucky you!!

Jen60jen Sat 04-Jul-20 09:14:17

Try to focus on looking forward to when you will see your grandchild, get them to post lots of pics on line and destract yourself with getting a little basket full of goodies for them all to take. I can still remember the first two weeks of babyhood, sleepless nights, just feeling like a zombie, and not really wanting any visitors, it can be scarey being a new mum and dad. I expect they just need that first two weeks to get into a routine. Once you go over you will be left to babysit and get loads of cuddles?

Frankie51 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:18:32

They perhaps don't want visitors straight away because of the current situation. The pandemic is still going on and we all have to be careful. I think they are right to want to bond together as a family, visitors are very exhausting. Respect their wishes, and push back the jealous feelings. The other parents love their grandchild just as much as you do. It's not their fault that they will probably see the child first. You will be part of the child's life when things get back to normal. I have three grandchildren in Canada. I ring them weekly and see them once a year and we have a strong bond despite the distance. Just be patient. We've all had to go through painful things this year and we will get through. I do know how you feel, I would have been in Canada this week with my grandchildren, but it will be next summer now. But I'm not the only one and that helps in an odd way.

Arlean Sat 04-Jul-20 09:18:34

I know exactly how you feel, I look at grandparents & think, I wish I could see or be with my Grandchildren, I haven't seen mine for three years due to lies told by social workers.

Esmerelda Sat 04-Jul-20 09:20:01

For the sake of your sanity (and future relationship with your son, daughter in law and new grandchild) STOP feeling jealous and START feeling glad for them all ... although you may find that the other grandparents don't get to see the baby any sooner than you do. You are creating a problem that doesn't exist.
Above all, remember that this is not your baby!

Atqui Sat 04-Jul-20 09:21:39

Jane43 Fri 03-Jul-20 Jane43 Fri 03-Jul-20 10:50:56
“. I would advise you to appreciate from the start that the maternal grandmother will always come first. “
This is a very sweeping statement. Even if the new birth mother has a close relationship with her own mother , this does not necessarily mean that as a grandparent she will come first.My daughter treats both sets equally and fairly.

Soniah Sat 04-Jul-20 09:21:54

I felt the same with my first, didn't want any family to come for a couple of weeks until I felt confident, it's about them and the baby, not you. Sorry if that sounds harsh and I do understand you will want to see the baby asap but stay away until invited or you could spoil your relationship for good

helsbels6 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:29:31

I saw all my grandchildren within hours of their birth, I was very lucky.
But they all live very close and I could visit and leave when they wanted me to or when I wanted to.
I remember coming home with my first born to find my parents literally on the doorstep, I would have liked to get in the house for a few hours just the three of us and when the next three came along they were being wonderful and childminding the older ones so hubby could bring me home. It really is a no win situation, I would have liked time alone with the new baby and the other children.
They also lived 120 miles away so they couldn’t come and go for short visits, maybe offer to stay in a local hotel and just call??

Witzend Sat 04-Jul-20 09:31:57

Not surprising that you feel upset, OP, but 2 weeks will soon be gone - do enjoy your first cuddle! And many congratulations on your new little grandchild.

Even before Covid was a factor, if MN is anything to go by, many new parents are now very precious about anyone, even grandparents, visiting for the first couple of weeks, or even a month, in case it interferes with their ‘bonding as a little family’. More often with first babies, though - I suspect that most aren’t nearly as fussy with 2nd or subsequent babies.

I know some visitors can be a pain, esp. if they’re the type who come empty handed instead of bringing meals, or just sit there expecting to be given cups of tea, but such people can usually be tactfully put off.

I’m so glad my dd was never precious about it - rather the reverse. We were there within hours after all 3 of hers - last was born in early January and it was only just over an hour before dh and I, plus the two little elder Gdcs, were enjoying cuddles in the hospital.

It was very hard not being able to see or cuddle the wee new one for so long during lockdown though.

BlueBelle Sat 04-Jul-20 09:33:24

Yes be patient lady, you have a lifetime of visits with grandchildren and they are just that, grandchildren, not your children and you need to go by what the mum and dad want All seven of my grandchildren were born overseas my first born was in NZ I didn’t see her till she was toddling, the second one in NZ was about 8 months old and they have a Nan and grandad in the next road ? no point wearing myself out with jealousy My kids were all older starting families so I d waited and waited.for the news
The ones born in Europe were all three weeks old when we first met it’s not a given right to be there at the beginning
The couple need there own time together to bond with the baby and settle themselves without other generations getting on board so soon
I had my first born all alone in a foreign country she was 18 months old before my parents met her but they had so much involvement as she grew up, with my second mum took my first one for a weeks holiday and the third one mum came up on a coach to help for a week I didn’t have any in laws or others visit I was sitting on a ring with mastitis no thanks, best left alone

Libubs Sat 04-Jul-20 09:35:50

My first grandchild was born on the 4th April, I didn’t get to see her until a couple of weeks ago and then wasn’t allowed to hold her until last week. My daughter was so anxious with all the COVID restrictions. Was I upset? A little, if I’m honest, but I had to respect their decision. I finally got to hold her last week...and it was so worth the wait!! (3 months of waiting, I only live an hour or so away)
In all honesty, I think having a couple of months with no visitors has been wonderful for them. The baby is happy and settled and the dad is doing a fantastic job of looking after both his wife and the baby. Visitors, however well meaning may have disrupted that.

Have some patience, keep a smile on your face...this is about them, not you. When you get to finally hold that baby it will be worth everything.

CassieJ Sat 04-Jul-20 09:47:20

Gosh two weeks is nothing. I am going to have to wait at least 18 months before I see my grandchild that was born in February this year due to distance and flights being cancelled.

Respect the parents wishes. This is their baby, not yours

Gingergirl Sat 04-Jul-20 09:52:23

As a grandparent I know where you’re coming from but really....if it was me, I wouldn’t be going. Just because it’s a baby we’re talking about, why is it ok to hold it...what happened to social distancing...I would be waiting for a definite invitation (even if there was no covid). Just because a baby is born, to me, that doesn’t give us as grandparents an immediate right to descend on the family. And yes, if some people on here can’t relate to what you’re saying, it may be that they have grandchildren they haven’t seen for many months and have little prospect of in the near future. Gently does it.

NotSpaghetti Sat 04-Jul-20 10:02:42

I don’t go with the equally and fairly phrase.
There is something here implying rights and services.
No offence intended Atqui but who decides what “fair” is and “equal” isn’t always right either.

Dressagediva123 Sat 04-Jul-20 10:02:47

Hang on in there - you may find they change their mind when the baby comes along - my daughter said the same thing but the when baby was born she couldn’t wait for us to go .
If not then you will get there soon enough and forget who got there first - it’s tough but lots to look forward to