Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Moved house to help with GC care

(29 Posts)
maydonoz Sun 05-Jul-20 21:04:35

Hi all We moved house, myself and OH just about 2 yrs ago in order to help to care for GD, this was at our DS's request and we were happy to do so .
We just got settled in time for DIL to return to work.
Since then GC2 has arrived so we will be busy for some time!
It has been a very positive move for us to a nice, rural area.
I wondered if many of you GNs have done the same and if it has worked out for you.

Grandmabatty Mon 06-Jul-20 08:05:47

I downsized 18 months ago and moved area to be closer to my daughter and son in law. She was pregnant at the time and the understanding was I would help with childcare. It has been fine. I live five minutes from their house, my new area is nice and very handy for shops etc, I have lovely neighbours and my smaller house is so easy. All of which makes it a joy to help look after my grandson. I'm going there today.

Sofa Mon 06-Jul-20 10:09:00

I moved several years ago to be closer to my two sons, DIL s and their young families. It was not easy as I sold my house in the north and moved to the much more expensive south. However it has worked out very well and I have often helped with childcare. I have settled well and made many new friends.

GrannyMosh Mon 06-Jul-20 10:20:05

I upped sticks and moved from my home in the northwest of England to Osnabrück, nearly 4 years ago! At the time, I had a 13-month-old granddaughter, whom I had not seen for 6 months, and who used to look at me with an expression that said "Oh lord, here comes the old witch again!" I now have another granddaughter, aged nearly 3 and a grandson just 4 months old, and it has been the greatest blessing to be around to help my son and daughter-in-law, and to watch their children grow and thrive. I have my own self-contained flat on the ground floor of their house, but the door is always open for the girls to come and go as they please, which has, I think, been especially useful while their kindergarten has been closed during the current crisis. I have never regretted the move, which was always planned for a few years' time. The referendum result re Brexit brought things forward, and I am so glad it did!

GrannyMosh Mon 06-Jul-20 10:21:27

I should add, I am no longer the 'old witch', and have a very close and loving relationship with all 3 children!

silverlining48 Mon 06-Jul-20 10:34:28

A move to a different non English speaking country is very brave GrannyMosh. Glad its going so well.

jaylucy Mon 06-Jul-20 10:44:28

So lovely to have a positive post on this subject.
May you and your family have a continuing happy and peaceful , fun life !

NanaPlenty Mon 06-Jul-20 10:51:02

I’m glad to hear your positive messages as I want to move to another county to be near my daughter and grandchildren - as it’s more expensive there it will involve a downsize so I feel just a little apprehensive. Sound like there’s a lot to be gained from it.

nipsmum Mon 06-Jul-20 10:55:25

I moved house 15 years ago today to be nearer my daughter because I had been very ill and there was the possibility I may require some help in the near future. My elders granddaughter was 18 months old at the time. I moved from a small town in central Scotland further north to a city on the coast. Its the best thing I ever did. I now have 3 granddaughters 16 13 and 10. I live 3 miles from them, nearer the sea. I have a little bungalow no garden to care for but a large communal area around the 7 houses that I share it with. At 79 my health is better now than its been for years, I have 2 small West highland terriers and shops in walking distance as well as the ,North Sea. Moving here was definitely beneficial to me and hopefully my family feel the same. I'm just waiting for my daughter and middle granddaughter to come for a chat and a cup of tea. What more could I want or need. I feel very fortunate every day.

songstress60 Mon 06-Jul-20 11:03:02

I cannot understand why people move to be near their grandchildren. You have a life of your own and to me some families use their older relatives for free childcare.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 06-Jul-20 11:11:23

When we moved to Harrogate 25 years ago we left our DD's in Aberdeen (I had a flat there for them to live in). Within 2 years they had both found jobs down here, which has made life so much easier all round. Have to admit there was no thoughts of GC then, but they have no regrets coming here!

Patticake123 Mon 06-Jul-20 11:16:25

We moved three years ago from the Midlands to the South. I have no regrets whatsoever. I see my daughter and her family regularly, albeit through glass at the moment, but having family close is wonderful and making an effort to meet new people and make new friends has been a very positive experience for us both. Good luck!

BlackSheep46 Mon 06-Jul-20 11:16:35

Hooray for families ! If we're fortunate enough to have them then get close enough (geographically) to enjoy them. Those darling babies all grow into grumpy teenagers (even though they will still appreciate you really from behind the scowls, the greasy locks and pimply faces !). Enjoy them while you may.

Hawera1 Mon 06-Jul-20 11:38:41

I envy those who it has worked. Do.bear in mind that you can move and uproot your life then your children might relocate. Ours is talking of moving countries after we moved here. Only covid is stopping them. It will.break my heart as I'm not well enough to travel.

maydonoz Mon 06-Jul-20 11:40:52

Nanaplenty I would say "go for it", there is everything g tobe gained, "what goes around comes around" and all that.
Songstress 60, families help each other, I'm sure most of us "used" our families for childcare when they were little. We lived abroad when our 3 were little and many times I had to leave our kids with my MIL and SIL as I had to rush out on a call out. She also never accepted money but we also helped her alot when needed so none felt indebted to the other.

4allweknow Mon 06-Jul-20 11:51:44

I would love to move to be near my GC. However which one would I chose? One lives in the north of UK and the other on the south coast. I couldn't afford a property in either area. Often joke with DIL in south I could maybe manage to buy a garage!

CrazyGrandma2 Mon 06-Jul-20 12:03:11

We moved 8 years ago to be closer to our daughter and grandson, at their suggestion. We had lived in the same place, though different houses, for 40 years. A difficult decision but turned out to be the best thing we ever did. A few years ago son and wife also moved here and now have their own child. Life is good. We all have our won lives but mutual support is always at hand.

cc Mon 06-Jul-20 12:17:15

We're hoping to do the same for my (single) daughter who is intending to adopt, not to provide regular care but to be there as a spare pair of hands when required. It may develop into something else over time, but in the meantime it has given us the impetus to sell the house which is much too large for us in any case.

Sugarpufffairy Mon 06-Jul-20 12:33:12

I moved away from my DCs. I found that my only purpose was to render assistance to them such as child minding house cleaning etc. I realised that the only conversation they had with me was what time drop off/pick up or when I was to arrive at their houses.
I am a grandmother not a childminder or a domestic.

Happysexagenarian Mon 06-Jul-20 13:45:32

We did the opposite and moved away from our AC and GC. I did not wish to become a convenient childminder, and I felt they needed to be more independent. It has worked for all of us. We see them when they visit us, we don't visit them as we can't be doing with long motorway trips now. It hasn't affected our relationships with our GC who really look forward to coming to us, and as we're not chatting frequently there is always plenty to talk about and news to catch up on. Sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder.

LadyBella Mon 06-Jul-20 13:48:42

My DD moved nearer to me when her son was born. So I have spent over 12 years looking after my GS and it has been wonderful seeing him grow up and being able to spend more time with him than I ever could with my own children because I had to work. I am sure you will have many wonderful years to come and they will be some of the happiest you'll have ever known. This is my experience.

Greta8 Mon 06-Jul-20 14:14:01

Last year we moved to be near our daughter and son-in-law and our new grandson. When she goes back to work I will be looking after him two days a week. We now live about half an hour from them rather than an hour and a half. We have exchanged one lovely rural area for another lovely rural area in a large village with many amenities. Pubs, village shop, fish and chip shop, and quick and easy bus route to our nearest city. We took the opportunity to change the type of house we have and instead of our country cottage with a huge garden we have a spacious four bedroomed modern house with a small garden. It is an absolute joy to be able to see them so regularly (apart from the lockdown period obviously). We still live our own lives with our own hobbies, but it has been wholly positive. Our neighbours are lovely too. I feel much more secure here as our life is simplified, but with family support working both ways! It has worked out amazingly well - our first year's anniversary of the move is later this month and it feels as though we've always lived here. We're very fortunate.

Jean1010 Mon 06-Jul-20 16:28:21

I would move in a heartbeat to be close to my Daughter and Grandchildren, she would really appreciate the help as she has to rely on her MiL who is a carer and is still working full time. I don’t have any other close family left locally so have no ties to my current location.
My problem is that my DH will not entertain the idea of relocating as he has friends he sees socially a couple of evenings a week and he has two sisters and nieces and nephews living locally.
Whilst we all get really well these are not the people that will look after us in our old age, that will fall to my daughter I suspect.
My advice to you would be to go, and have family close at hand should you need them.

Legs55 Mon 06-Jul-20 22:30:21

I moved to be closer to my DD 5 years ago, I was widowed 7 years ago. I had one DGS who I saw infrequently as we lived 70 miles apart.

My DM lives 300 miles away, she is 91, I moved 250 miles from DM when my DD was 9 years old, she's 40 this yeargrin

Since moving to Devon I now have another DGS, I see my family most weeks. I visit DM twice/three times a year but we speak daily.

Best move I made to be nearer DD as I may need care when I am older, I've made lots of friends, live in a lovely Town on the edge of Dartmoor but within easy reach of the coastsmile

CocoPops Tue 07-Jul-20 01:53:18

All my UK friends said I would be making a huge mistake to emigrate abroad , " You will just be an unpaid child- minder, you will miss England etc etc" but I followed my gut feeling and took the plunge when I retired. Now I live a 10 minute walk away from my daughter, son- in -law and grandchildren and help out when required which is not as often as I would like now that now the kiddies go to school! I enjoyed settling into a beautiful country with friendly people. I joined various activities and made new friend and found some volunteer work. It probably took me about a year to really understand the mindset here ( different values and priorities) . All in all it was quite an undertaking but certainly worth the effort.