Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Bad behaviour

(55 Posts)
Alypoole Thu 09-Jul-20 22:50:41

We’ve recently begun helping with our 2 grandsons again. They are 6 and 3. They’ve never got on terribly well but their behaviour at the moment is really concerning. They bicker constantly, play very aggressively and find it extremely difficult to concentrate on anything for any length of time. Manners have gone completely- constantly reminding them about “please” and “thank-you”. When I read how everyone seems to be delighted with seeing their grandchildren again I just feel very concerned and quite depressed about the whole situation. The 6 year old and I were once SO close but .......not anymore. Has anyone else experienced this?

gustheguidedog Fri 10-Jul-20 10:07:03

Good Morning Groans and Grumpads, hope you're all well and exercising your `Giggle Muscles` with the `Little People`
It seems tragic @Alypoole that your grandchildren are misbehaving whilst they are at YOUR home. Do they act in the same way at home?
Ask YOURSELF if perhaps this enforced lockdown has changed YOU, is it YOUR fault they behave in this way.
My Grandbubble is nearly 2 but he realises that Grumpad needs extra help and so instead of the normal `Look at me` kind of thing he actively comes and shows me things in a `tactile` way

Nanniejc1 Fri 10-Jul-20 10:24:56

We have 4 children & 8 grandchildren but 2 of our grandsons have always been badly behaved,cheeky with no manners at all,they just grin if we try to tell them off,they are aged 8. & 5 ,neither parent believes in discipline so they do just as they like .We are both nearing 70 & really can’t put up with their behaviour so dread it when we know they are coming round to see us.Its a nightmare at family get togethers because the rest of the family feel the same.I think it’s up to the parents to teach children right from wrong & fear as they get older they will be the ones telling their parents what to do.We just don’t want to spend any time with them because of their behaviour.They are both very spoilt & ignore what is said to them.I feel sad because because they are our grandchildren.Its easy when children are very young to teach right from wrong but I realise for parents it much easier to let them do as they please.

Aepgirl Fri 10-Jul-20 10:46:40

I think blaming lockdown is unfair. ‘Please’ and ‘thank you’ are words that should just trip off the tongue, and I don’t understand why their parents haven’t reminded them of this. I think they need to know that being with grandma is fun and lovely, but that it is important for them to be nice to you.

moggie57 Fri 10-Jul-20 10:52:14

Maybe the need grans guidance.they been stuck in lock down.they not sure what is right or wrong .most kids are confused/angry/upset.just be your usual self and dont let do as they like. Things will smooth out.my gr son is angry that he cant come up my home to play.mum is back at work anf they been at school a month now.so why cant they be here with nanny? Slowly does it and that day will come .the virus is still here.

triccull Fri 10-Jul-20 11:22:05

Don’t know if other Grans are in my position, I am sole carer for my GS, who has lived with me for 3 years.
He is 18, diagnosed as high functioning Asperger’s.
I am 81, @ although disabled, usually active, drive & independent, but we have been cooped up since early March, I have not coped well with lockdown, & feel I’ve been very impatient with him,

ReadyMeals Fri 10-Jul-20 11:27:48

Nanof3 I can see the instant solution for your situation staring at me out of your post - your DH is short on patience? Let HIM settle them when they start getting out of hand. You might find his approach stops you needing to play peacemaker so often. Kids can be amazingly peaceful when an ogre is in danger of being disturbed smile

Hetty58 Fri 10-Jul-20 11:30:24

I brought up my grandson until he was ten. I've found that with my children (and grandchildren) the following tactic works well. Rather than getting angry, look really sad and disappointed. Say 'The way you're behaving makes me feel so sad. I really wanted us to all be good friends and enjoy ourselves' etc. That hits home!

Saggi Fri 10-Jul-20 11:48:12

Same here... my grandson 13 and granddaughter of 8 were oh so close ! Now after three months... they are at each other’s throats all the time ...and my daughter is a children’s counsellor!! Until I pointed out that 13 year old boy and 8 year old girl are not really gonna be on the same page for another 10-15 years! Of course Covid hasn’t helped with all its restrictions , but the age gap added to the gender difference doesn’t help .

Nandalot Fri 10-Jul-20 11:57:50

I am with others here that say lockdown has had an effect on the children. DD, as a single mum, locked down with us and and her 9 year old twins. As the time has gone on we have found them harder to settle to home schooling, harder to encourage to do anything active and more prone to outbursts. DD’s fellow parents are reporting the same phenomenon. It is perfectly understandable; they are not having the same physical activity, mental activity and social interaction that school provides. In addition, my DGC had swimming once a week, two sessions of gym and one of them had football training and a match at the weekend, an an outlet for their energies and social interaction there too. I can assure
you it is not lack of discipline but just the very strange circumstances we are living in.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 10-Jul-20 12:02:15

There is a big difference in children between the age of 6 and 3, so can you split them up?
Maybe one of you concentrate on doing 6 yr old things and the other on gentler 3 yr old stuff?
One is still very young and the older one is at school and is now a ‘big boy’.
I’m sure they would appreciate doing different things with you rather than be lumped together as 2 boys.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 10-Jul-20 12:03:47

I would quietly insist on please and thank you and whatever else used to be the norm, excuse me (if they pass wind or burp) without making an issue of it.

Their bickering and agressive playing, I don't think you can just ignore.

I would sit the two boys down when they come and before this starts and tell them that you don't like to hear them bickering, so will they please stop it.

What sort of things are they bickering about? Can you get either child to tell you why he is cross with his brother?

When a game gets too aggessive, stop them and do something else with them.

Agressive behaviour can be so many things, but obviously they can't be allowed to hit each other or throw things.

I would think these two have just been thrown together too much during the lockdown. At their ages, a gap of 3 years is simply enormous.

I clearly remember how exasperating I found my three year younger sister when I was six.

Could you do something with them, like baking and not leave them to play with each other too much.

Don't involve their parents. In your home, the children should do as you ask them to.

sparklingsilver28 Fri 10-Jul-20 13:36:45

Nannyme: Have you not heard of "terrible two's"? No surprise most mothers do not escape the experience.

pamdixon Fri 10-Jul-20 13:57:04

My 2 grandsons used to bicker and fight the whole time. Now they are very nearly 14 and nearly 11 they are getting on so well which is lovely to see. Lockdown has cemented their friendship as far as I can see. I expect its an age thing if younger ones are bickering and uncivilised frankly! I've seen the boys and their mum (my daughter) a couple of times recently, and the boys have been absolutely charming and a joy to be with - suddenly rather mature!
So do not despair those of you with younger grandchildren.

Hithere Fri 10-Jul-20 14:14:27

Terrible twos and even more terrible threes - huge personalities bundled in tiny kids

Hithere Fri 10-Jul-20 14:29:45

OP
I think you also have unrealistic expectations how 3 and 6 year old kids are supposed to behave.

What concentration span do you think they should have?
More than 15 minutes doing the same thing is a miracle for them.
At these ages, kids get bored easily and change activities very frequently. It is normal.
Their daycare had intervals of 30 minutes before they changed to another activity and 15 minutes of those 30 minutes were invested on setup and cleanup.

My two daycare age daughters also "bicker". My youngest annoys the oldest to no end. Oldest complains the youngest does not leave her alone and steals her toys but when the youngest is doing her own thing, the oldest misses her sister and there we go to being annoyed again.

The youngest flies off the handle at the most minimal "infraction" - the cup is yellow instead of pink!

They push each other and their moto is "what boundary can I challenge"

It would benefit you immensely if you read a book about child development.

I am side eyeing big time the statement of "not being so close to the 6 year old". I am worried you are putting your bond with the gc first instead of doing what's best for them.

Lucca Fri 10-Jul-20 14:45:20

“ It would benefit you immensely if you read a book about child development.“. Not sure that is really necessary !

“I am worried you are putting your bond with the gc first instead of doing what's best for them.” I think that is jumping to conclusions and as ever wanting to blame grandparents/parents.

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 14:47:38

Hithere

Terrible twos and even more terrible threes - huge personalities bundled in tiny kids

Oh yes.
The thunderous threes can be even worse.

I expect they are full of energy too, the older one not being at school. Can you take them to a park yet, take a ball, let them run around and use up some of their pent-up energy playing instead of in squabbling.
The 6 year old and 3 year old ae at different stages of development and the 6 year old will be missing friends of his own age group. He'll relate better to them than a little brother who may be annoying.

Ps and Qs need reminders in a calm and pleasant way.

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 14:49:22

cabin fever
Precisely, Lolo81!

sparklingsilver28 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:05:28

Have children’s rights overtaken discipline? When WW2 broke out, and like many mothers, mine left alone to raise three children (4, 3, 1). She never raised her voice or smacked either my elder brothers or me. She just looked in a certain way and you knew you had gone as far as was permitted - no ifs or buts. Move on 70 years and what a difference. Just before lock-down one experience in a local Building Society, four young children, all in recognisable local private school uniform, ran shouting and screaming while clamouring in and out of the window display. Their mothers waiting in the inevitable queue quite indifferent until one queue member indicated her disapproval. To which the supercilious mother retorted “it is not our fault if everything in here is so slow”. To which she responded: “no, but it will be your fault when one of your children falls through the window”; and added “I suppose its Nannies day off is it”.

Alypoole Fri 10-Jul-20 15:50:30

Hithere I am a retired infant school teacher and have a good understanding of young children’s concentration spans especially little boys. They have a huge garden with trees and streams and we take them to the nearby woods to climb and run and build. However I am also well aware that the 6 year old would benefit from reading his reading book at some point during the day as well as playing with Lego, making and doing, drawing, cooking and generally having a bit of a rough and tumble.

Lucca Fri 10-Jul-20 16:23:34

Alypoole

Hithere I am a retired infant school teacher and have a good understanding of young children’s concentration spans especially little boys. They have a huge garden with trees and streams and we take them to the nearby woods to climb and run and build. However I am also well aware that the 6 year old would benefit from reading his reading book at some point during the day as well as playing with Lego, making and doing, drawing, cooking and generally having a bit of a rough and tumble.

Well said Alypoole.

Hithere Fri 10-Jul-20 17:48:37

The world has changed dramatically since WWII, at all levels.
The challenges, society, culture, expectations, parenting styles, childcare guidelines, etc., everything.

Romola Fri 10-Jul-20 18:03:54

I think it's true that brothers with a 3-year age gap often quarrel and fight. My SiL's mother told me that she used to have to put her 2 boys one each end of the passageway and sit on a chair in the middle to keep them apart. And one always had to sit in the front of the car with her in the back with the other, or all hell would break loose.
Now my DD also has two boys with the 3-year age gap. They do fight, but in a way lockdown has made them dependent on each other and they (mostly) get on okay.

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 18:07:07

Sorry, but I can't help then, Alypoole.

The DGC with whom I have more contact are a bit older and have been much better behaved and nicer to each other since lockdown. Perhaps they realised they only had each other for company as having a friend round is not allowed.
Their parents were both working from home and fairly strict on manners anyway.

Just keep persevering; I hope things get back to normal again soon.

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 18:07:51

X post Romola and a similar situation.