Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Playing the waiting game (grandchild due)

(86 Posts)
Newbiegran Sun 12-Jul-20 09:43:26

I'm a soon to be (and anxious) first time gran. Due date was 11 July - DD had sweep on Thursday and is booked for induction (routinely; midwife said prob wont get that far) on 23. July. She's 200 miles away and I am thinking and wondering about her constantly. She was born 8 days late and I recall my mother really annoying me by ringing up every day asking Have you had it yet? Even though I promised I would call as soon as it happened - so I am very loath to get in touch with DD (we use Whatsapp fairly regularly) as I guess she is waiting too. I find myself constantly checking my phone, worrying if she is OK .. any tips on how to handle this waiting game (especially at a distance?)

Sunlover Wed 22-Jul-20 12:02:12

I think waiting to hear when your daughter is in labour is worse than doing it yourself!!

Newbiegran Wed 22-Jul-20 12:55:36

It totally IS worse than doing it yourself (and that was hard enough!) They broke her waters about four hours ago and she was due to give me an update two hours ago (re infection test results) but no news - I can only assume no news means she is too busy to get back onto WhatsApp (amazing she could go on WhatsApp at all at this time. I remember having a big corded telephone on a table wheeled in to me when I had her, 31 years ago) This is an agonising wait

SueDonim Wed 22-Jul-20 13:55:25

I was beside myself when my dd had her baby a couple of years ago! It really took me by surprise because I hadn’t felt that way when my Dils had their babies. I’d been concerned for them and hoping all would go well, but when my dd was in labour, it was a visceral reaction from me. The relief when the phone call came....

Fingers crossed for you, Newbiegran!

Luckygirl Wed 22-Jul-20 14:29:19

All 3 of my children were 10 days+ overdue. Very frustrating, especially the first time when I thought I might be pregnant for ever!

Keep up the WhatsApp - but do not ask THE question!!! Just jolly chit chat.

Please let us know what brand of baby appears! smile

Newbiegran Wed 22-Jul-20 14:38:22

Oh I know it will be a boy - just really anxious as the hours go by - not heard from her since 9.30 am (now 2.30 UK time) and I find myself saying to myself the things I know expectant mums hate - why hasn't she had it (him) yet? And all manner of worrying things- why is it when statistically it is far more likely to be OK that we worry about the more unlikely possibilities?

Lizbethann55 Wed 22-Jul-20 15:01:29

You do realise that every gransnetter is glued to this post and desperately waiting for your next update!. Thinking of you, your DD and the little one! Much love. Xxx

Jane10 Wed 22-Jul-20 15:08:03

Lizbethann55- so true. I keep checking for news!

vickya Wed 22-Jul-20 16:17:55

first child, induced, but pethadine smile, took from 8 a.m to 1.a.m next day and episiotomy
But she is fine now. She has 2 kids and is 47 and working from home

Newbiegran Wed 22-Jul-20 16:19:02

LOL! Well the latest is that the dad's mum, her partner's mum has messaged me on WhatsApp saying isn't it exciting! But she has four children and three grandchildren already so I expect she is going to worry less than me anyway!
She heard from her son around midday when he sent a brief message saying "slow and steady. It's getting there"
That was four hours ago though -how slow are these things!!

Jane10 Wed 22-Jul-20 16:22:30

Can you go and start a lengthy job eg emptying all your cupboards to clean them out? The minute you're busy doing that there's bound to be happy news.

123kitty Wed 22-Jul-20 16:25:28

I know we're all different but I was induced and had my DS without even needing gas and air, it was all over in a few hours. By the way I'm the most cowardly person I know when it comes to pain. So try to relax. You'll soon be enjoying cuddling your new little one, it's worth the wait.

nexus63 Wed 22-Jul-20 17:56:57

my first grandson was due on the 12 feb last year by c-section same day i was getting a cancerous tumor removed, problem with hospital and she had to wait till 13th, we texted back and forward asking each other how we were doing and talked on facebook, i could not see him till he was 4 weeks old, due to him having breathing problems. just send you daughter a message to say you are thinking of her and you are there if she wants to chat. good luck and hugs when the little one arrives xx

Newbiegran Wed 22-Jul-20 19:04:28

Ok update at 7pm UK time- via her partner via his mum - she is going in for possible assisted delivery (I assume that's forcept?) or C-section. I am assuming she is too tired to push or baby is getting tired.

SueDonim Wed 22-Jul-20 19:12:08

Hope the baby is with you soon! Xx

B9exchange Wed 22-Jul-20 19:38:04

Really hoping for good news soon, you must be shattered with worry yourself. I am sure by tomorrow you will be on cloud nine!

Moth62 Wed 22-Jul-20 19:41:13

On tenterhooks here with you, Newbiegran!! As I’m sure are many others. ?

Grannyben Wed 22-Jul-20 20:37:17

Really hoping your daughter gets a move on ?. I'm going to bed at 10

Newbiegran Wed 22-Jul-20 20:47:39

I literally don't know what's keeping them - nearly two hours since they said assisted delivery or c-section! I would have assumed there was some element of urgency in there ...

Jane10 Wed 22-Jul-20 20:48:44

Poor girl. She's had quite a time of it. Hope it's all safely over soon.

Bluecat Wed 22-Jul-20 20:54:40

Waiting for news really feels worse, in some ways, than going through it yourself. You can't help imagining and guess what is happening.

I have been through it seven times and the last one was as bad as the first!

Hang on and try not to worry too much. Easier said than done, I know.

Newbiegran Wed 22-Jul-20 21:07:53

I'm on the wine now LOL ( I don't actually approve of drinking to calm nerves but - desperate times!!!)

SueDonim Wed 22-Jul-20 21:14:02

:paces up and down hall: :lights another cigarette: ???

Newbiegran Wed 22-Jul-20 21:24:17

It's the wine that did it!!!
Boy 9 lb 5 oz by Ventouse - all well - mother exhausted!
Time for bed!!

Newbiegran Wed 22-Jul-20 21:26:50

And a big Thankyou to everyone who has really kept me going. I shall start being part of this community nowsmile

Lolo81 Wed 22-Jul-20 21:28:33

Congratulations!