Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Granny dressed in brown? Not this trendy Granny!!

(37 Posts)
Corryanna Thu 06-Aug-20 20:37:09

I've just read, with some disbelief over on the Grandparenting page (title next to Gransnet Forums above this board) that Grandma is lively and trendy whereas Granny is old and wears brown! I'm Granny as I saw lots of my Granny while growing up, my children spent much more time with their Granny, whereas their 8 years younger other Grandmother called Nana (her choice tho she had no time for any of her 7 grandchildren and her own chidren didn't like Nana either - maybe that's why she chose it?) was no fun to be with.
My boys' Granny always wore a skirt but that didn't stop her! She went up the high slide in the swing park to show the youngest one what to do, hooked up her skirt and wooooosh! safely down she went! She baked with them, played water games with them and guarded them with her life. If I'm half the Granny she was (and my own Granny) I'll have happy Grandchildren!

shysal Fri 07-Aug-20 10:07:11

I used to be Nanny, but now they are grown up I am Nan. I have always thought that Grandma sounds rather straightlaced and old fashioned, which is definitely not me! I like to dress in colour, brown doesn't suit me.

Jane43 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:14:02

I only had one grandmother who was Gran to us. My Mum was Nan to my two boys and I was always Nanny to my first three grandchildren but the two youngest insisted on calling me Granny, I don't know why. It makes no difference to me, I’m still the same person.

Teetime Fri 07-Aug-20 10:28:34

I am Nanna. My grandmother was Nanna and so was my mother to my daughter. It just followed on and I prefer it anyway. DS maternal grandmother likes to be called Grannie so it works out fine. Neither of us wear brown, no judgement just doesn't suit us either of us we both like colours.

henetha Fri 07-Aug-20 10:38:58

It's impossible to generalise. We are all different!
I'm Nan to all my grandchildren, or occasionally Nanny,
or even Nannykins sometimes!
I'm considered very modern, slightly hippie, slightly bonkers, by all of them.
I never wear brown. I like bright colours.

Westcoaster Fri 07-Aug-20 11:22:31

As a young child I had 2 great grandmothers, both called Grandma so I have always associated that with being really aged!
I was actually quite shocked/horrified when a young friend told me her mum (still in her 40's at the time) had opted to be called Grandma.

We are Gran and Grandad. smile

BBbevan Fri 07-Aug-20 11:48:47

We are Grandma and Grampa. DH had a Granny and Gramps, and I had two Grandmas. One Grandma O, the other Grandma M . I cannot remember any of them wearing brown. Black perhaps. All except Grandma O were sprightly and played with us a lot.

MiniMoon Fri 07-Aug-20 12:07:56

We are Granny and Grandpa.

I certainly don't wear brown! I remember my own Granny very well. She wore skirts but not brown ones.

I thought that my Nana looked fabulous in the blue coat and hat that she wore to church.

LullyDully Fri 07-Aug-20 14:35:00

I remember thinking brown was very smart at some point in my youth. However it doesn't suit me despite being more than happy to be called Granny. ( collectively we are known as G and G.)

Lexisgranny Fri 07-Aug-20 16:13:39

I was once asked if I minded my grandchildren calling me Granny. I replied that I didn’t care what they called me, and in any case if it was good enough for the Queen..... ps I don’t have a single brown item in my wardrobe, yet I used to have some when I was much younger - odd!

AGAA4 Fri 07-Aug-20 16:22:31

I had to wear a brown school uniform so I haven't worn brown since. I am Nana to my 6 grandchildren and it doesn't matter what you are called it is how you interact with them.

Fernhillnana Fri 07-Aug-20 16:36:37

My dad was always Poppa to all his grandchildren. It was the name the first one could manage!