Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Stairgate for occasional use

(11 Posts)
onlyruth Thu 03-Sep-20 11:12:51

Now my DGD is nine months old and crawling, I really need to invest in a stairgate. But obviously I don't want one up all the time, as she's only here once every week or two.

I need one that a) doesn't screw in and b) is really quick and easy to put up when it's needed.

Any recommendations?

quizqueen Thu 03-Sep-20 11:25:05

Any stairgate which doesn't screw into the wall is not going to be very safe as a temporary fixture could just be pushed out. Mine, screwed into the wall 37 years ago, has become a permanent fixture as it swings open to lie flat against the wall on the landing and I barely notice it's there.

onlyruth Thu 03-Sep-20 11:31:24

I need one for the bottom of the stairs initially. And there's nowhere for it to lie flat, so it would be very visible and in the way.
Which? magazine tested many stairgates and some of the pressure fitted ones are best buys. They are quick to say if any product is unsafe.

FlexibleFriend Thu 03-Sep-20 12:01:18

I have several baby gates for the dogs and mine are Lindam they are all pressure fit and all are pretty immovable. My 19 month grandson who is extremely strong tries hard to move them and has never managed to budge them an inch.

LadyGracie Thu 03-Sep-20 12:09:19

We had two pressure fit ones for our GD, we never had any problems.

onlyruth Thu 03-Sep-20 12:48:30

LadyGracie

We had two pressure fit ones for our GD, we never had any problems.

Thanks. How long did they take to put in place each time your GCs visited?

FlexibleFriend Thu 03-Sep-20 13:05:41

5 minutes maximum.

kittylester Thu 03-Sep-20 15:18:18

We have always had Lindam (?sp) pressure fitted ones for our children. In fact we are still using one lot for the grandchildren.

You can get extensions for them too.

I would recommend putting a thin piece of card between the ends and any painted walls though. We have a red wall with a big white piece in a prominent position because we didn't.

Niobe Thu 03-Sep-20 15:34:43

We have a Lindam pressure fit one too and absolutely no problems re safety or marking the wall. It takes a few minutes to put up and take down.

onlyruth Fri 04-Sep-20 18:57:15

Thanks everyone. I'll invest in a pressure one for downstairs for now. I had a chat with my daughter today, and the one she has is a pressure one and has so far been good.

Grannynannywanny Fri 04-Sep-20 19:13:45

I had 2 Lindam pressure fit gates and they were very secure. The area where I used one on the landing was a little too wide for the standard fit. But was easily remedied by a Lindam extension kit which added another 3 bars.