Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Preparing an almost three year old for the birth of his twin brothers

(34 Posts)
Thoro Fri 11-Sep-20 18:12:27

Love Gransnet but have never posted before! I’ve got a 2 yr old GS who I look after at least one day a week. DS and DiL are expecting twin boys in January when GS will also be turning 3.
My request is ideas for activities/ideas to prepare GS for the arrival of his two brothers.
And any grandparenting tips for twins! No twins in either side of the family so a total surprise (shock!). I live fairly locally having moved to be a hands on grandmother- so this is a wonderful challenge ?

Riggie Sun 13-Sep-20 09:15:26

I think working with the larents and following their wished is the way to go

Volunteer77 Sun 13-Sep-20 15:29:54

My son was nearly three when his twin brothers were born and they were premature. I got a present from them for him. I didn't breastfeed for long so he helped me with bottle feeding them propped up well with cushions. It was a busy hectic time but they've grown up to be lovely young men with families of their own

quizqueen Sun 13-Sep-20 15:38:49

Perhaps you could sleep over at their house rather than taking your current GS away from his family home so he doesn't think he's being sent away. Definitely get baby dolls/blankets/bottles etc. for him to play with and take the twins out for a walk in the pram/pushchair so mum can have cuddle up times with her first baby.

Purplepoppies Mon 14-Sep-20 12:51:35

No experience of twins but there is a wonderful book called 'Little Monster Did It' that may be nice for your 3 year old dgs. Its beautifully illustrated and tells a story of a new baby in the house.
Congratulations ?

Jang Mon 14-Sep-20 18:47:33

I had a four year old and was expecting twins.. spoke to him about it a lot no books around to help explain to him.. he got upset when he couldn't visit me/us in hosp, but was very proud of them peering into peoples prams and saying "just the one baby we had two". I breastfeed and arranged to do the twins at same time so my hands were free to read to him.. his grand parents helped a lot with visits and days out for him,then we left twins with granny and took eldest for a short break alone... All very balanced and loving children so they are! Twins are hard work so accept give as much help as possible -but what they want not what you want is my best advice.

Grannyjacq1 Wed 16-Sep-20 19:32:52

We have 3 sets of twins in the family. Plenty of helpful advice has already been given by other gransnetters, but a tip on the practical front: make sure the twin buggy fits through the front door! Sounds obvious, but you'd be amazed how many don't. My daughter (who also had a 5 year old when the twins were born) set up a 'multiples' group after the twins were born for families in the area with twins and triplets, meeting every week for coffee, chat and play, and this was a great source of support - not to mention trading of 2nd hand equipment! Probably not possible at the moment because of the CV.

Callistemon Wed 16-Sep-20 19:44:08

We have 3 sets of twins in the family

How lovely!

Rainwashed Wed 16-Sep-20 19:56:28

Good point about checking the size of a double buggy Grannyjacq1.My friend checked the measurements in her house, only to find it didn’t fit in her car!
I know she had to be very organised with twins .
Congratulations OP.