Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Rule of 6

(51 Posts)
SpecialK57 Tue 22-Sep-20 14:36:13

Please can anyone explain to me why children in Scotland and Wales are so different to those in England in regards to the spreading Covid 19 that in the former countries they have been exempt from the rule of 6 but in the latter they count as part of the total number. It seems an incongruous differentiation and one that is making the current restrictions even harder for larger families in England who have to choose between grandparents if they are a family of five or split their family in order to meet with anyone if they have 4 or more children.

Nannan2 Wed 23-Sep-20 12:03:53

*Meant some KIND of control?

Sparklefizz Wed 23-Sep-20 12:27:06

"^We have to do something to stop this virus as it is KILLING people!^"

... and not only killing people but leaving thousands of those who've suffered with very long-lasting nasty and worrying symptoms, including post viral fatigue.

I caught a horrible virus in 1989 and have suffered the after-effects ever since as I had post viral fatigue which then became M.E. I am still terribly fatigued and have to go back to bed every day and it has been 31 years and I was young back then. I had to give up all the sports I enjoyed, can no longer dance, go on shopping sprees, drive distances, travel, or do all the things I used to take for granted. I also lost my job. And these side effects can happen at any age, even with teenagers who think they're invincible.

Perhaps people will consider this, even if they think they are unlikely to die from Covid. M.E. has ruined my life.

LynneH Wed 23-Sep-20 12:27:14

It’s largely because so many people were complaining that they couldn’t understand the rules. This is for simplicity, and to emphasise no exceptions

Stella14 Wed 23-Sep-20 12:36:06

To quote a meme that is going around. In England
*7 children can’t gather together to feed the ducks,
But 30 plus men can gather together to shoot and kill the ducks*

123kitty Wed 23-Sep-20 12:50:37

I think we all want the Rules to suit our own situation (for me 6 people together is ok, but 10 would be better, whereas my sister needs the number to be 12) somebody had to make a decision, let's just stop moaning and try to make this work.

Buttonjugs Wed 23-Sep-20 12:52:58

They need to take kids out of school! It’s madness, every child in school is from a different household and they’re mixing with each other every single day, we already know they are superspreaders. It doesn’t matter how many households can mix while kids are at school. What single event happened just before the second spike began? I rest my case.

allule Wed 23-Sep-20 12:56:48

I can see the argument for having a United Kingdom policy, but in the present setup, this would mean "everyone do what Boris says", and some parts of the country have the opportunity to use their own judgement.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 23-Sep-20 13:08:43

I read the list on Gov.UK that shows all the restrictions. Amongst them in the Meeting People Safely section is one that says:
Indoor organised sport for over 18s will no longer be exempt from the rule of six.
Why then, can exercise classes of more than 6 still carry on?

4allweknow Wed 23-Sep-20 13:45:30

Iltte some people think infection control is via a spray bottle. If it can't be dealt with by a packet of wipes or a squirt of a spray then it's up to someone else to deal with. As to children rules in different part of the UK given the numbers being sent home to isolate they should be included in the rule of 6.

mcem Wed 23-Sep-20 13:52:16

I think Scotland's policy of 6 people from 2 households made far more sense than 6 individuals from 6 households!

By the way I don't buy into the suggestion that different parts of the country should "not be allowed" to decide for themselves on the rules needed.
Do you seriously believe that WM should have the right to cancel policies of the devolved nations? In the face of their attempts to grab back powers, I am thankful that BJ and co have not had the final say over my life, as Holyrood's decisions have been more rational and logical.
Please believe that the UK is now united in name only.

ExD Wed 23-Sep-20 13:53:29

If you were in 'charge' how would you deal with it?
I don't mean what would you have done last March - how would you deal with it NOW, with the situation we have at the moment?

Pittcity Wed 23-Sep-20 13:53:50

A friend's grandchild is upset because "six of us live here so Santa won't be able to visit!"

SpecialK57 Wed 23-Sep-20 14:26:03

Normally I spend pretty much most of every day with my daughter and her family as does my husband when not at work. We are in effect a single household except that 2 of the group sleep under a different roof. We don't mix much with anyone else but if we now want to see each other together we are breaking the law. Surely though this carries significantly lower risk than meeting up with several different groups of 5 during a single day which currently is permitted under the rule

PamelaJ1 Wed 23-Sep-20 16:44:42

Pittcity

A friend's grandchild is upset because "six of us live here so Santa won't be able to visit!"

If the children are all asleep in bed they aren’t counted.??‍♂️?‍♀️
The fairies will make sure ?? knows when it’s safe to visit.

CarrieAnn Wed 23-Sep-20 16:50:21

We think my husband had Covid just before last Christmas as well,he was really poorly and felt like the end was nigh,his friend was like it to.I wouldn't like to see anyone this poorly again.If everyone had done as requested,and I know a lot of us did,we wouldn't be in this situation again.

Franbern Wed 23-Sep-20 17:01:57

gilljack68

Brilliant article in the sun today written by Deborah James who is living with incurable bowel cancer - in it she states -"That in the UK 500 people die of cancer every day with another 180 from heart disease. 430 are killed by flu daily in the winter while 214 lose their lives to dementia. The longer this goes on, the more people will die. Not from Covid but from cancers, heart disease, stroke, mental health problems and other conditions much more deadly than coronavirus. In July, experts predicted we could see up to 35,000 extra deaths from cancer as a result of the pandemic. At the time some thought this was a stretch but it is becoming more and more clear it could be just the tip of the iceberg. Last week flu killed ten times more people than coronavirus - FLU and it is still summer!! We need to find a balance. Let's hold on to the fact that the vast majority of people who catch Covid will be ok. Coronavirus might be scary, and it might have spread like wildfire but chances are you will survive. Cancer isn't so kind - and 1 in 2 of us will get it! "

gilljack68 - glad you have shown these figures. although most will just ignore them. Death was only invented with this Corona Virus - and if 20 plus people die a day from that we have a national neo-lockdowm.

Always have ignored the usual 450 per day who die every day, all year, every year (except in years when it gets much worse) from flu.

The current corona virus health service is not treating so many people with very life-threatening illnesses.

I am struggling to understand the fear of one particular virus

Illte Wed 23-Sep-20 17:06:00

Yup, that's the trouble 4allweknow.

Intelligence and self control - zero

People either seem to be wilful or stupid ?

BoBo53 Wed 23-Sep-20 17:06:13

If we are still allowed to meet up as sixes at Christmas (unlikely I know) we thought that we’d got it sorted. Youngest son whose girlfriend is working plus eldest son, his partner and our granddaughter 2 + 1 + 3 = 6 right - no wrong cos new grandchild is due on 15th December so unless over ten days late will make 7 and we live in England!

Aepgirl Wed 23-Sep-20 18:24:50

Whatever the rules in different parts of the UK, you can’t please all of the people ........

MrsRochester Wed 23-Sep-20 20:35:11

Pittcity

A friend's grandchild is upset because "six of us live here so Santa won't be able to visit!

Do people have no imagination?

vegansrock Thu 24-Sep-20 04:54:45

The rule of 6 in England makes no sense as it can be 6 people from 6 different households in any combination, indoors or out, so you could have many more contacts over a short period of time than if the number of households were restricted as they are in Scotland, I don’t know who came up with that idea, but I’m guessing it wasn’t a scientist.

stewaris Thu 24-Sep-20 06:38:31

mcem That's not really true. I had an appointment to get my legs waxed last night. Emailed the beautician and she said as long as I was happy then I could still keep it. The mad bit about it is she works from home, need to go through her house to get to the room, and that's allowed but if she was mobile she wasn't allowed to come to my home. However, my mobile hairdresser is allowed to come to my home. This is Scotland and makes no sense whatsoever.

mcem Thu 24-Sep-20 07:40:46

Not sure how your comment relates directly to my post and not clear what's untrue!

sparkynan Thu 24-Sep-20 08:12:50

What ever rules the governments put into place, someone will complain. Just reading through all the gransnets comments, makes one realise that. Can you imagine if all the gransnetters had to make the rules. You would never agree.
Whilst I feel deeply sorry for anyone with a life threatening illness or a relative who has died. (of which I'm one, having both parents and my brother died) Humans were not meant to live forever. If we did there would be no point in having children!
PS: I do take all the precautions to stop spreading the virus, and I have downloaded the test and trace app from the NHS and I have a I Phone 6s.

stewaris Thu 24-Sep-20 19:32:54

Sorry mcem I have no idea either. Must have had a bit of a senior moment after a very long day at work or I answered someone else's post to you. I guess that would make 2 senior moments.