Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Picking up DGD from school

(11 Posts)
Antonia Fri 25-Sep-20 19:30:45

When schools went back, DH and I have been picking up our DGD from school twice a week.
Now my DD has said that she may do all the pick ups after half term.
This would be devastating for us. Our lives have almost completely stopped. We don't go anywhere, so seeing our DGD is a lifeline.
It's true that we have health issues, and probably DD is only wanting to protect us. I can see her point, but we would still be very upset if we couldn't see her. Opinions?

MissAdventure Fri 25-Sep-20 19:36:42

Will you still see your granddaughter if you don't do the pickups?

I'm not sure it's healthy to slot her into the role of being a lifeline, so perhaps look at other things you can do.

Antonia Fri 25-Sep-20 19:45:17

We don't know if we would still see her. This has only just been mentioned.
We have two other grandchildren, but in another part of the country. We haven't seen them since January.
We don't do very much else. I have an online class, but otherwise we stay at home, as we have been doing since March.

cupaffull Fri 25-Sep-20 19:54:16

Maybe it's a tentative attempt at sounding you out as to whether you might prefer to give up?
The R rate is rising exponentially so they might be concerned about risking your health
Perhaps they feel they're taking advantage and that you wouldn't necessarily speak up?

LadyBella Fri 25-Sep-20 19:59:37

I know how you feel. Seeing my GC is the highlight of my week. Now they're growing up I know I'll soon feel redundant. Why does the time go so fast! I'm sure, even if you don't pick up your DGD from school, you will be heavily involved with her life for many years to come. Grandparents are vital to young children as I know only too well.

Madgran77 Fri 25-Sep-20 20:07:01

Talk to your daughter. Ask why she is thinking if changing arrangements and listen to her. Then talk, not in terms of a lifeline. Talk in terms of how much you love seeing your GD, how you treasure the lovely relationship, so you are wondering how you can all keep that going when you are no longer picking her up weekly. Maybe arrange little visits, face timing, send little parcels or letters etc. Talk to your daughter and work it out together.

Antonia Fri 25-Sep-20 20:17:21

Thank you for all your replies. We have been texting with DD and have agreed to continue with picking her up. We will closely monitor cases in our area and let her know if we feel the risk is too great.

Madgran77 Fri 25-Sep-20 21:31:06

Glad it is sorted flowers

Antonia Sat 26-Sep-20 03:26:04

Thank you Madgran77

Furret Sat 26-Sep-20 05:02:19

Also Antonia download the new NHS app. if you can. We pick grandchildren up from school and observe simple rules.

Antonia Sat 26-Sep-20 05:08:14

Thanks Furret we both have the app.