Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Sleepovers (question from DIL)

(95 Posts)
Daisy79 Fri 04-Dec-20 04:16:38

Hello all-

I am trying to see things from my MIL’s point of view and reading here has been very helpful.

I am still struggling with a particular topic and was hoping some kind grans would be willing to share thoughts.

My DS is 9 months old. As a covid era baby, it’s been a difficult road. Many feelings have been hurt as we try to keep our child safe and healthy, and as we try to follow government guidelines.

One particular topic that has caused a lot of grief has been pressure from my MIL to babysit (and, in particular, to have our baby sleep over).

I expected to accept more childcare help before our baby was born, but between covid, her constant pressure, and concerns about what I’ve seen in her childcare of our niece, I’m very hesitant. The few times we have left him in her care for a few hours (at her insistence), it has been very stressful for both my husband and me. Our son has been quite cranky upon returning home and we found his sleep was disrupted for multiple days after. Her home is very loud and she has stated she doesn’t feel naps are really necessary (despite our clear explanations that our 9 month old MUST nap at certain intervals).

Her pressure to provide childcare has intensified and she is especially getting pushy about wanting to have the baby overnight. I am having a hard time understanding the insistence and running out of ways to politely say no.

I am a stay at home mom and my husband currently works from home. We don’t go out much due to covid and we take turns running errands. I want to make my MIL happy and feel included, but we don’t actually need any childcare help at this time and I am not comfortable with being away from my child overnight.

Could anyone please share their feelings on the insistence to have overnight stays (just the baby, without us there)? This seems like a common pressure and I am trying to understand it.

Thank you!

GrauntyHelen Fri 04-Dec-20 10:17:04

Just say no overnight childcare is not something we or our child need at this time End of

poshpaws Fri 04-Dec-20 10:17:52

OceanMama

Maybe your MIL needs you to be more direct? You said you've run out of ways to say no nicely. Maybe she's one of these people who doesn't get hints and needs to be told things straight?

It sounds like you have allowed your MIL to pressure you into doing something with your child that you aren't comfortable with. It causes stress. The baby will pick up on this stress in his parents. You do not owe your MIL any particular grandma experience. She has had her turn with her children. Now it is your turn to make decisions about how you will raise your child. You can say no to anything at all. If MIL gets upset or reacts badly, that is for her to deal with. It doesn't mean you have done anything wrong.

A nine month old needs his parents more than anyone. Tell MIL, "Thank you for your kind offer. We don't need childcare at this time but will let you know if we would like your help." When it comes to overnights: "Thanks for the offer but we prefer to wait until he is older before we do something like that." Or, since you've already been doing them, "We have found it difficult to have our son away from us at such a young age and have decided that we will not do it again until he is much older." Any objections, just tell her it's what you've decided as his parents. She doesn't have to agree or like it.

MIL doesn't have to have your baby overnight or for childcare to feel included. She can visit during the day and read him books, help feed him if that is something you are comfortable with, take him for walks (with or without you, depending on how you feel about that), go on outings with you both, come for lunch in the weekend. She doesn't need to have alone time with him. If she is not happy to accept what is offered, this is not your problem and you don't have to correct it.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I see a young mother who is doing things she is uncomfortable with to please her MIL when there is no need for you to cause yourself this stress. Your baby, your way. No-one else gets to make those decisions. Anyone who doesn't like what you decide, including grandma, will just have to get over it.

What do you think is best for your baby? That should inform your decision, not what is best for MIL.

Exactly this.

Phloembundle Fri 04-Dec-20 10:19:03

He's too young for a sleepover, and the fact she said she doesn't feel naps are necessary means she will do exactly what she wants when he is there. No way!

NannaGrandad Fri 04-Dec-20 10:22:24

Until you feel comfortable about leaving your baby with mil don’t do it. He’s your child and your responsibility so you have to make the decisions on his behalf.
We look after our grandchildren at any opportunity but only with their parents blessing.
As for naps, noise etc. that’s a definite deal breaker. If she can’t follow your rules she can’t look after him I say.

Helen657 Fri 04-Dec-20 10:32:05

Your baby, your choice. You need to make it clear to your MIL that you’ve no need for sleepovers. My children didn’t stay over at my MILs - although a truly lovely lady, she preferred to do her own thing rather than what I asked her to do when my DD was only a baby. DH backed me up completely from the start & more so after a couple of incidents he witnessed (one which infuriated him & there were very harsh words between him and MIL).
Be polite if you can, but be firm xx

B9exchange Fri 04-Dec-20 10:32:16

I remember your last thread when you were asking the same thing and got the same replies. You need your husbands support, just firmly say 'no'together. You don't need to give reasons, don't allow it to get into an argument, just be firm. Practice a bit of role play between you it it helps!

inishowen Fri 04-Dec-20 10:49:18

I would tell her you don't want to let your son stay overnight as you would fret and wouldn't get any sleep. Its your baby, your rules. Dont let her pressure you into anything. Just keep saying no!

NemosMum Fri 04-Dec-20 10:49:44

NEVER leave your child with anyone, or in any situation you feel 'uncomfortable' about. You just need to be firm (but polite) with this lady. She has no rights over your child. I had a similar situation with my first MIL, but I didn't give in. PIL had a small but very aggressive dog, and MIL was blind to this. She also had the notion that it was 'normal' to leave one's young child overnight with its grandparents just because they like the idea, but not in my book, it isn't!

rowyn Fri 04-Dec-20 10:51:04

I think it's really weird that MIL wants him overnight. I can appreciate that gran would like to visit her new grandson, or even look after him for an hour or so whilst you have your hair done, for example (if lockdown allows!) but why is she so desperate to be responsible for him when he is - or should be - asleep for most of the time.

I would regard that as a warning sign that she wants possession. If you give in now it will only escalate. He is YOUR child, and even relations only have visiting/cuddling rights if YOU wish. She needs training , just as much as your son will, but in both cases with YOUR rules.

Toadinthehole Fri 04-Dec-20 11:02:25

grannynannywanny, yes, I can see that in your case. It was the best thing in a difficult circumstance. I was more relating to the pleasure side of it, there’s never any need to do it. What would have happened in your circumstances, if you simply weren’t safe to take care of your grandchild, as my parents and in laws certainly weren’t?

knspol Fri 04-Dec-20 11:30:38

I agree with comments by Ocean Mama but I would also add that it's your DH who should be saying these things to his mother or else somewhere down the line you are going to be blamed for being unreasonable, selfish etc. you name it! Your child your rules and his mother his responsibility.

ayse Fri 04-Dec-20 11:33:32

Although I helped to look after my grandchildren from day one and provided childcare for them twice weekly after age one, I didn’t have them for a sleepover until they were about three.

I agree with other gransnetters, your child and your choice. Just do what is most comfortable for your small family. Grandparents need to comply with the parent’s way of looking after their child until the child is older and like routine until they are grown up enough to manage change.

As others have suggested, it’s time to be more direct and just say no.

Teddy123 Fri 04-Dec-20 11:38:20

I'm a MIL and wouldn't, especially at this difficult time, even contemplate asking to do an overnight babysit such a young baby. I understand your feelings. Some MILs are so worried about being left out that they become ridiculous.

I think you need to be totally honest & blunt in the nicest way possible. Or get your partner to deal with his mum!

I did a lot of childcare for my eldest grandson from 8 months to school age but only did overnight on two occasions when he was older, at his parents request.
Both were a bit of a disaster....

Your child, your decision ALWAYS! I hope my DIL is honest with me otherwise I'd never know if I was treading on her toes.

Enjoy your little one. Time flies ?

MuttiTai Fri 04-Dec-20 11:43:11

Heavens, where to start. I think that OceanMama is really en point and her advice is sound. I am a first time GM and my DGS is twenty months old. Unfortunately my daughter now finds herself as a single parent and works four days a week. I was her birth partner which was a (gruesome) privilege and I am on hand in the same city to support her as much as I can. The amount of support I give is driven by her. She’s the mother and has her way of organising their lives which I fit in around. Your MIL is so out of order in so many way that I wonder what her underlying problem is? Anyway that is for her to deal with and not for you to bend yourself around. Polite and firm and if that doesn’t work she runs the risk of alienating you and perhaps not seeing her grandson at all!! I see her as manipulative and selfish in this matter. You have my sympathy .

grandtanteJE65 Fri 04-Dec-20 11:43:23

Sleepovers! Really! No nine month old baby can possibly sleepover at his gran's.

If things were normal right now, and you and your husband wanted a night out, then your MIL could stay in your home for the night to look after the child. You would be there in the morning when he woke up.

I looked after a godson of about your son's age for one day a week at my place. He was perfectly happy until he woke from his afternoon nap and saw that Mummy wasn't there.

After the first time, I timed his nap to coincide with being ready to wheel him home in his pram when he woke.

But keeping a child overnight unless in a real emergency is just not on at that age.

Tell your MIL that until Covid19 is a thing of the past your child isn't going anywhere at all, and stick to it.

EllanVannin Fri 04-Dec-20 11:50:29

Personally I think MiL's being thoroughly unreasonable and her own common sense should tell her that baby needs his mum and familiar surrounds in order to feel settled-----which hasn't been the case.
I wouldn't be very diplomatic in such a given situation.

Helen2806 Fri 04-Dec-20 12:26:49

We have 5 grandchildren . Our grandson does not like to do overnights with us without his mum, though all 4 granddaughters love it. That absolutely fine, we respect his wishes and his mum’s . We are delighted to have him visit with his mum, and if he changes his mind as he gets older, that’s fine but if not that’s fine too. Grandchild visits are a privilege, not a right.
You must do Santa is best for you and your baby.

sodapop Fri 04-Dec-20 12:30:57

Bit of a sweeping statement there Grandtante of course it's possible for a nine month old baby to sleep at his/her grandparents house. Not everyone is fortunate in having a two parent family, not all young parents are in good health. There are circumstances in which its helpful even advisable for a young parent to have a break and a good night's sleep.

I don't agree with the attitude of the OP's mother in law and the parents need to stop being polite and tell her its not acceptable. Plain speaking is often the only way to get the message across.

Grannynannywanny Fri 04-Dec-20 12:34:39

I completely agree that this MIL is unreasonable and her attitude shouldn’t be tolerated.

However, I disagree with posters who are suggesting a 9 month old baby is far too young to be left overnight in the care of grandparents. I’ve had all 4 of my grandchildren overnight at 9 months for various reasons. They were all content and settled before, during and after their visits.

They wouldn’t have been left in my care if both sets of parents didn’t have absolute confidence in my ability to care for them. When I had them in my care I followed their parents home routine to the letter and it wouldn’t have crossed my mind to stray from it.

I’ve continued to have a lovely bond with all 4 of them. They range in age from 5-12 yrs old. They love to come for a sleepover especially if both sets of cousins can come on the same weekend. They ask to come so clearly haven’t been traumatised by being left overnight when they were babies. No sleepovers now due to covid. My little 5 yr old GS said just last night on FaceTime “Gran I can’t wait to come to your house for a sleepover”

Grannynannywanny Fri 04-Dec-20 12:45:39

sodapop well said.

GreyKnitter Fri 04-Dec-20 12:52:40

I think the thing to remember, as many others have said, it’s your baby and you should totally control what happens re MIL. I have had one set of grandchildren to stay since they were tiny - initially for a night and then for longer as they got older and it enabled us to become very close - but it was always at their parents suggestion. There are plenty of years ahead for MIL to have the little one to stay, and at a time which you and you child feel is right.

Newatthis Fri 04-Dec-20 13:14:33

Your baby your rules and DONT feel guilty. Can your husband put his foot down after all it’s his mother!

Jaye53 Fri 04-Dec-20 13:20:30

Agree with all help ful kind comments on here.and your baby so your rules

Kim19 Fri 04-Dec-20 13:29:02

I'm with Newatthis. Where is your husband in all this? It is, after all, his Mother and he has known her longer than you. You have maternal instincts (lovely acquisition) so put them to full use and do what is right for you and your lovely baby. I wouldn't have let mine out of my comfort zone at that age. He's 51 now and I've tried again but failed this time!!! Be strong irrespective of the consequences. Good luck.

QuiltyElaine Fri 04-Dec-20 13:39:16

I think a frank discussion is in order! I would ask your husband to politely have a word with his mother smile I am a Covid granny for the first time smile she is 6 months and I have only looked after her briefly for a couple of hours at a time Hopefully I'll get to do more once Covid is gone! It's your baby and your rules! I bite my tongue if my son/DIL suggests anything different to what I would do and I always follow their schedule regarding naps/feeds etc. they know their baby smile I can't imagine why your baby would need to spend all night with your MIL? If my son and DIL want to go for a meal etc I will go to them so my granddaughter can sleep in her own bed.