Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

My friend is already interfering!

(51 Posts)
Nanananana1 Wed 23-Dec-20 17:46:53

I have been a grandmother for a total of three days now and my friend has already told me what she thinks I should be called, what names she doesn't like for my GD, what gifts I should buy her and what life is going to be like with a new baby in the family! I am starting to get a little curt with her but want to include her in the fun as she absolutely adores babies. What line response should I take without hurting her feelings?

Nanananana1 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:00:02

Love that last one! Territory is an appropriate word. I am becoming very territorial about my new GD already! I have calmed down a bit now and will let the dust settle before including her in any more detailed news. Luckily she only has Facebook access to my son and he is very good at the 'arms length' approach.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:02:42

Just say it's not up to you, the new parents could have preferences.
Congratulations by the way, you now have the best job in the world!!

Aepgirl Thu 24-Dec-20 11:03:05

A lovely smile and a nod of the head.

Mollygo Thu 24-Dec-20 11:11:53

Congratulations on your new GD.
Just smile and nod about the names. You could always have a pad and pencil ready to collect her suggestions for gifts - looks appreciative, but if she’s sensitive she’ll see it as sarcasm. It’s Christmas -try and let it go.

Buffy Thu 24-Dec-20 11:29:51

She is just excited and hops to share your experience.

Moggycuddler Thu 24-Dec-20 11:32:16

Some people just get a bit over excited or over invested, and don't realise they are actually interfering and being annoying. She does probably mean well and has no idea her enthusiasm is crossing a line. She sounds like a decent friend in many ways, so please don't be too hard on her. Just say, as others suggest, that it will be upto the parents and not you. Or say kindly that you'll think about her suggestions.

25Avalon Thu 24-Dec-20 11:43:52

Congratulations. Can’t you just say to your friend that’s a lovely idea but I’ve already decided to be called ......., the parents have asked me to buy so and so andI must go along with their wishes, the choice of name wasn’t mine but either I do quite like it or I’m getting used to it, and just agree yes everything will be different with a new baby but it’s early days and of course it will be what the parents want.
Be assertive but kind.

Caro57 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:54:46

Is she a real friend?!

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:59:53

Ignore it all, like we were told to do at school. She’ll soon get bored. Congratulations on becoming a granny?

Namsnanny Thu 24-Dec-20 12:09:08

Smile, ignore, change the subject!
Pretty much what others have said I think.
Dont loose a friend over this.

If you find you have to reply say something like
'Well I'm not the parent so I'll let them decide'
Congrats and enjoy the new gc

Alioop Thu 24-Dec-20 12:09:55

Just let her rattle on. Congrats on your new granddaughter.

Jillybird Thu 24-Dec-20 12:18:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nightsky2 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:30:07

She is just overexcited for you I’m sure. You don’t have to take any of her devise but you will want to talk (a lot) to her about your new GC and she will be all ears. Whatever you do go along with whatever the new parents want even if you don’t agree with how they do things. As someone else has said just nod and smile and none of ‘ this is how I used to do it’ and all will be fine. Congratulations.

Tweedle24 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:42:22

Congratulations on your new granddaughter.

As others have said, smile and ignore. She can only interfere if you let her.

earnshaw Thu 24-Dec-20 13:02:24

i think thats classed as new parent syndrome. i remember when my daughter was tiny, my husband would not let anyone touch her if they hadnt washed their hands

Ellet Thu 24-Dec-20 13:52:51

When my GD was born 3 years ago my good friend was so excited and always (even now) refers to her as ‘our Granddaughter’. I don’t mind in the least. I rather like sharing her with my friend who has no grandchildren.
Be kind to your friend, just let her rattle on, it matters not to the baby or parents.

Dianehillbilly1957 Thu 24-Dec-20 14:00:21

Smile and agree and then do your own thing!!

Tolaton21 Thu 24-Dec-20 14:34:47

Just smile, nod & then do exactly what you want to do or say xx
Congratulations x

billericaylady Thu 24-Dec-20 15:24:49

I would tell her gently with a smile on your face that you are more than capable of making decisions...if u "allow"her to do it now she will only get worse ...

hulahoop Thu 24-Dec-20 15:29:33

Keep smiling .Congratulations on becoming a grandparent ?

BusterTank Thu 24-Dec-20 15:30:50

Just tell her opinions are like bottom holes , everyone has got one . Or if you want to be slightly more polite tell her each to there own .

beverly10 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:37:16

Most females regardless of becoming or have become mothers , can and frequently do, find it difficult not to get involved one way or another when hearing of a new/ impending birth.What name/s have been chosen the most frequent question Dealing with the 'well meaning' without offending is not difficult My remedy being and always will ''that I will be leaving name choosing to the new parents.'

Sewpolly Sat 26-Dec-20 16:44:49

Sounds like she is excited for you.

Franbern Sun 27-Dec-20 10:08:40

My bestie was someone I first met when we were pregnant with our first babies. We were very, very different, but over forty years we developed that companionship. Did sometimes fall out for a few weeks here and there. As we grew older and both by ourselves our friendship developed, despite our many differences.

One of my daughters (A Psychologist) tried to tell me that she was too dependant on me, and could not understand that I had as much dependancy on her being dependant (does that make any sense to anyone else).

When our children grew up and left us, we knew far more about each others children (bad bits and well as good bits) than anyone else and always had someone to telephone to phone to have a moan to). Indeed, for the last year or so would always have a daily chat over the phone each evening.

We remained so very different in so many ways,but ten years ago she died and I still miss her very much.

So, Nanananana1, listen to her and ignore what she says, and just be grateful you have a friend to share your joy in your new status.

Nanananana1 Sun 27-Dec-20 17:06:18

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and support. Somehow knowing that this is an age-old problem does make it easier to let it go! The name has now been chosen and when I told my friend she just said 'she is a lovely baby'! It will take her a while to get used to it! I am sure we shall continue to meet up (when we are allowed) and as she does love babies I shall share all the good bits with her. Go Gransnet, you have been wonderful