Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandchildren moving house - distraught

(69 Posts)
GranJan60 Mon 22-Feb-21 12:58:06

Have regularly looked after GC now 8 and 6 since birth and done best to support DS and family. DIL now fancies living by sea so they intend moving away - both freelance jobs.
Feel devastated to think about losing them - I am a very anxious driver and the family have a busy social life so usually don’t have much time for visits here.
Lost job a couple of years ago and main social/volunteer thing curtailed by Brexit/lockdown. Have become worried about going out and generally feeling worried and down. Can’t concentrate on any activities or think what to do next. Any advice please?

sanders Tue 23-Feb-21 16:05:02

Hi i now just how you feel as my daughter and her little family are all moving away this summer and i have looked after my gc for the last 3 years (3 and 1 years old)
I'm really sad about it but have tried to put on a happy face and think its their life and i shouldn't hold them back .
Its going to be lovely to visit them in their new home and make new memories with them all. I am not fond of driving but the thought of visiting them will keep me going ...plus i will have a lot more time to enjoy other things like my online art course ,knitting and watching my fave tv programmes in peace! got to be a bonus lol. And with yesterdays news you may be able to start your volunteering sooner than you think.I also am a volunteer but make phone calls to vunerable lonely people and it is so satisfying. I've also have made a lot of friends this way. Age uk is a good way to start this if its something you would like. Best wishes and i hope it all works out well for you.

Cagsy Tue 23-Feb-21 16:21:05

It is so difficult to see them go but as others here have said they need to strike out and make the lives they want for their family. 5 years ago DD SIL and two oldest DGS sold their house, bought a motorhome and took off round Europe and N Africa for a year, I just knew as we waved them off that they were very unlikely to ever come back and settle here again. I was right and she now runs a small farm in rural Spain, the boys are fluent in Catalan and Spanish and although they don't have much money they have a great outdoors lifestyle and have made lots of friends. This pandemic has been very difficult, we had to cancel 3 attempted trips over there last year, the oldest DGS was 12 when we last saw him and he'll be 14 next month and I so want to see them all, not quite sure when we will. She's anxious about her Dad (my ex) who is mid 80s and has cancer and lives alone, although my oldest DS lives near and visits his Dad regularly with our other two DGC. I've got friends with part of their family in Australia and no idea when they'll be able to see them - it's stopped being ' a small world' hasn't it? I do hope you find a way of finding things in your life to make you happy and then you'll have lots to talk to them about and they'll look forwards to your visits. Do take care flowers

earnshaw Tue 23-Feb-21 18:46:40

i guess, as always, there are two sides to this, i do feel for gran though, its a total wrench when family, especially children, move away, some would say its selfish , they are obviously thinking of the future though

LAJ56 Tue 23-Feb-21 18:48:18

Hi. Having two grandchildren living in New Zealand who moved there when 3 & 8 I maintain contact with FaceTime and trying to visit each year. Due to Covid not seen them since 2019. Two other grandchildren are 300 miles away from me so not seen them since last June.
I know you will be feeling very sad and worrying about keeping contact but technology makes things easier. When you do visit it will be for longer times and you can plan things to do together.
If not wanting to drive book and enjoy a train journey. X

Joyfulnanna Tue 23-Feb-21 19:03:24

I feel your anxiety. It's the hardest thing to say goodbye to regular time with your GC as you are local to them. You must look after your mental health and don't look too far ahead. Just concentrate on making memories with the GC now. Think of the loveky holidays you'll have in the future going to visit and talk to the parents about that, to put your mind at rest. Be grateful you have had them close for so long, many don't. At least you won't have to get on a plane to see them. Keep upbeat too about their move, as they are probably feeling excited about moving to a new place. Feel for you though through this..

Yorki Tue 23-Feb-21 21:22:56

Granjan60... I really feel for you, but your catastrophising, your going to miss them that's natural, but things move on, your lucky to have had those years with your grandchildren, many don't get that privilege. You can visit them via bus /train or coach, if your son / daughter in law can't accommodate you at their home, book into a hotel or holiday lodging close to where they live and treat it as a welcome break, it gives you something to look forward to. And as someone's already stated, your grandchildren will not forget you, when they're older they may chose to move nearer to you. Try think of the positives in this, your concentrating too much on the negatives, which is bound to bring you down, anxiety is an awful thing to suffer from, but look at alternative positive thinking, to help bring your stress levels down.

Yorki Tue 23-Feb-21 21:32:59

I agree with Hannahlouiseluke... Don't follow them to their new home, it will look a bit obsessive unless they have expressed the wish for you to join them.

Caligrandma Tue 23-Feb-21 22:02:20

Wowsa, thats painful. Lets acknowledge that for a minute. First, you are going to feel extremely sad about this and unfortunately, that feeling may be with you for quite some time. There is no easy answer and a fair bit of heart ache associated with that. Short of packing up and moving there yourself. Our adult children do all sorts of things without thinking of the consequences to grandparents. In reality, it is their lives and their childrens lives. They probably don't give it too much thought of the devastating impact it has on you. This is where your friends come in. You are going to really need to carve out a new life for yourself. That's going to take a little time. Your friends are going to fill up that void and give you an outlet to be devastated in. Your adult children are not going to want to hear it. They actually have no problem with it and since most that do this in the first place don't think about your consequence they probably aren't going to now. Expect to be very heart broken. Plan on 3 or 4 trips a year. Get a job to pay for those trips. Find something you like to do. Take classes, meet new people who are in your age group that you can share with. Its going to be a good year of heartbreak and there is only so much you can do. Allow yourself to cry, allow yourself to have some sleepless nights, allow yourself to accept the unhappiness knowing its just a process to go through. Fill your time with other interests and visit them 3 or 4 times a year. Maybe they will miss you and come back.

LadyBella Tue 23-Feb-21 22:18:23

Lots of people are having dreams in lockdown so that may be all it is. Also, properties near the sea are very expensive compared to elsewhere. I moved all over the place when I was young but came back to live near my parents because I always thought of the area as home. Forty years later I'm still there. Things change all the time. Your family haven't gone yet and may never go. But if they do and they'd like you near them then I'd go if you can. I do think you should speak out and say how much you will miss them. It's not being needy. It's being honest. I bet it'll all work out fine for all of you. Try to take each day as it comes because things often work out totally differently to what you've worried about.

FunOma Tue 23-Feb-21 23:28:52

GranJan I understand your pain. I would feel the same. The best you can do it to try to stay in touch with them, by regular phone calls or face time, maybe by writing and sending notes, even if they perhaps are not old enough to be write much themselves. I bet they would love hearing from you.
Other than that, try to take up an interest/hobby that you would enjoy.

SylviaPlathssister Wed 24-Feb-21 09:22:16

Unfortunately I didn’t live close to any of my grandchildren. ( but I have just moved to be near them) But I looked after one of them, when their mum had PND. I washed, cooked, cleaned and looked after them all, for months.( Husband in a high powered job) I was up at nights feeding the dear baby.. Even at 3 in the morning I loved her and used to say’ I love you so much’
They are now nine and when they see me, they fling themselves upon me. They won’t forget you and the warmth and love you gave them.
Try and relax. There is only one life and this is it.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 24-Feb-21 10:11:39

I understand how you feel, but I think there are two problems, at least here.

Your grandchildren moving away will be a wrench certainly, and there is not really much you can do to feel better about that.

In your place, I would find out whether travelling by train or coach to visit will be possible. If that is not possible, perhaps a few driving lessons as a refresher course might be a good thing.

The other problem I suspect is lockdown blues - we are all affected to some extent by now.

Is there anything you could feel tempted to do as a new hobby or interest until it becomes possible to be out and about again and perhaps return to some kind of voluntary work?

I realise you are finding it hard to concentrate on activities, but I think the way forward is to is to find one thing to do for a short or longer period every day to ease back into things again.

If your family goes ahead with these plans, you will need something new to fill the time that has been filled by the grandchildren.

I am sure you will feel better once you are more active again.

GrauntyHelen Thu 25-Feb-21 00:55:10

You need to build yourself a life

Franbern Fri 26-Feb-21 11:30:45

When my son and DiL told me they were moving two hundred miles away as my sons job was moving there, my first feeling was that I had been kicked in the stomach. Then, they lived less than five miles from me and I saw them a lot.
Then I went to use their bathroom and stood in there looking into the mirror counselling myself. Yes, I would not be able to see them so often, but probably for longer periods when I did.
Yes, they would be able to get a nicer house, probably with lower mortgage in a lovely area
Yes, their future lives were far more important than any feelings I had
Yes, I should be happy for them and support them.

So, I went back downstairs to encourage them with this move.

That was seven years ago - has worked out wonderfully for them (and I have my own room, en-suite) in their beautiful house there. Since then, I have also moved away from that areas, so even if they had not moved I would still be just as far from them.

As for g.children, well usually as most youngsters enter their teens they draw back away from those extended family relationships (quite correctly and normal - part of growing up).

My sister in law had an extremely close relationship with one of her g.sons. He did have some behavior problems and she was the best one to deal with them. When she moved away and was not able to continue seeing him daily he actually cried at school about that (unusual for a 10-year old lad_. She was distraught and, when I told her that within the following five years he would be wanting less time with her in any case - she replied that He would ALWAYS need her. He is now fifteen, and she moans that every time (it was weekly before Lockdown), she visits his home he hardly even notices her being there, as he is busy on his screens!!!

fuzzyfeltnan Sun 28-Feb-21 11:27:42

Hi, I know exactly how you feel, my DD and SiL moved away 6 years ago now. I had cared for both my GC from birth. They moved to IOW which is not far but expensive ferry crossings. I was broken hearted having seen them so much. I was working and not earning much so travel was difficult, their new house didnt have room for me to stay so it was hard. As time has gone on I try to think of inventive ways to keep in touch with children usually by post they love little parcels and letters. In the school holidays the children come over and stay which is lovely and we go over for a week in the summer and stay locally. During lockdown it has been hard not seeing them at all, but I send them short videos of me reading I send letters, parcels, silly jokes etc. As they are getting older I am hoping it will be easier to see them but I cannot deny I have and always will miss them. I also Whatsapp them with photos and messages, silly things that I have heard or basically things we would talk about if we were together. I think accept that you will miss them it’s natural because you love them but then try to think of fun ways to keep in touch, there is alot out there and nothing beats a good old fashioned letter.

Absgran Sun 28-Feb-21 16:06:38

I know how you feel honestly. I have daughter, SIL and 3 grandchildren living in Europe. I had looked after the oldest 2 for about 4-5 years 3 days a week until they moved nearly 5 years ago. I was devastated. Up until last year I visited about 4 times a year often for 3 weeks. Haven’t seen them for a year now! But we keep in touch via weekly zoom calls and messages with the family and eldest granddaughter now 10. They have a lovely life there and seeing all the advantages their new life brings them is wonderful. I feel still very close to them and to my grandson who was born there. I know they miss me as I do them. Can’t wait till I can fly and see them again. Yes get a train to visit when you’re allowed. Meanwhile, it may not happen as many posters have said. Get out and about when you can.

Jeannie59 Sun 28-Feb-21 16:20:43

I am a distant Nanna, with mine in U.S and OZ
Believe me, that distance is far more devastating and with these unprecedented times, I don't know when I will see them again.
But look forward to when I do.

Granny1810 Mon 01-Mar-21 09:59:52

I love the phrase don't borrow trouble. I haven't heard it before, but I do think sometimes I have got into debt!