Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Volunteering as a 'Grandma'.

(9 Posts)
Chrissie555 Tue 23-Feb-21 12:11:36

Hi, everyone,
I'm wondering if there are any schemes matching up someone like me, aged 61, grandparent of one, with families with young children who may be without grandparents. I would love to be more involved with young children. I have 2 current Enhanced DBS checks for other volunteering that I do and have worked in community health care all my life.
All I can find in searches are the adopt-a-granny schemes rather than the other way around.
I would be very grateful for any info. about such schemes in the Lincolnshire Wolds area.
Thanks.
Chrissie.

AGAA4 Tue 23-Feb-21 16:39:09

Is there a Home Start there. They always need volunteers to help with young children in struggling families.

NellG Tue 23-Feb-21 16:44:28

I don't know of any, but it's a fantastic idea.

Redhead56 Tue 23-Feb-21 16:54:06

What a lovely caring person you are to volunteer for this kind of work. I hope you can find a local scheme you can get involved with.

Chestnut Tue 23-Feb-21 17:49:08

It would be wonderful for kindly people with no grandchildren to be linked to little ones with no grandparents. Both would benefit but only if the relationship could be sustained. It might require some 'matching' process to ensure both are compatible and are likely to keep the friendship going.

welbeck Tue 23-Feb-21 17:56:02

schools often want people to listen to children reading, so maybe that could be a way in.

Missfoodlove Tue 23-Feb-21 18:46:01

There was a similar thread last week.

Foster Grandparenting
Hi - Is there such a thing in the UK? I have searched the net a little for more info but all seems aimed at the US.
I don't have any children of my own by choice which I've never regretted but I would love to be a grandparent. I do still work pretty much full time but free at the weekends. Any ideas? I'm also married and my husband too would like to be involved. I'm 52 and my husband is approaching 50.
Thanks.

I responded with details of the Independent Visitor scheme for children in care.
The O P didn’t have the courtesy to respond to any of the responses.

I was an independent visitor for some years and loved it.

Here’s a link but your local children’s services will run a scheme.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiB0ZmC1YDvAhV4QkEAHRBiBbcQFjAEegQIARAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.barnardos.org.uk%2Fwhat-we-do%2Fservices%2Fnational-independent-visitors-network&usg=AOvVaw0GaxXBZpg9cs0hwzM7rqas

Sarahjane001 Mon 29-Mar-21 14:34:15

I too would be interested in such a scheme. Im a new grandmother who has been denied access to my grandson by my daughter in law. I never thought about being a grandparent before but now with the extreme hurt I feel from the behaviour and actions of my daughter in law I would love to be an active and involved grandparent for a child or children who do not have this relationship in their lives. Im 58yrs young. Please if anyone knows of any such scheme please tell.

keepingquiet Mon 29-Mar-21 15:48:11

Sarahjane001 me too! Now things are opening up again I would love to get involved in something like this. It seems a good way to focus the love we have on those who would see it as genuine caring with no agenda.