Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

6 Year Old Grandson Out of Control

(40 Posts)
pinkym Mon 08-Mar-21 18:04:54

I just don't know how to advise my DS and DIL, their 6 year old son is making life a misery for them and his 8 year old sister. Last week he climbed out of his bedroom window onto the porch roof (quite a jump down, doesn't bear thinking about) they were alerted when he called out to a passer by to knock on the door to get his Mum & Dad. Today, he's come home from school, gone upstairs put a bath bomb down the toilet and poured his Mum's Clarins lotion over his bed sheet. He constantly takes personal possessions like watches and hides them then can't remember what he's done with them. Nothing seems to be off limits to him. No matter what they try, early bed, no treats, no ipad before bed, nothing seems to bother him. He might cry at the time, but within minutes is misbehaving again. We're all at a loss as to how to get through to him. I should add that he generally gets good reports from school on his behaviour and trying hard in lessons.

trisher Tue 09-Mar-21 15:18:07

He sounds a real handful but a loving and active child. I'd set up a reward system with clear guidelines about what is and isn't allowed, and with a simple request that if he gets an idea about doing something risky he talks to someone about it first. If he manages this (and it's possible he may not) try not just condemning hs ideas out of hand but discussing safe ways he can do things. You could do a star chart with a big reward at the end of any week when he manges to keep to the rules. But I fully admit it might not work.
You could also set him challenges, do physical things with him and experimental things.
Had we not been in lockdown I would have suggested enrolling him in a youth organisation like cubs, or getting him swimming lessons. Could he perhaps put up a tent in the garden and build himself a camp? Has he got "The Dangerous Book for Boys" ? He's a bit young but some of the projects in there might interest him www.amazon.co.uk/Dangerous-Book-Boys-Conn-Iggulden/dp/0007232748/ref=asc_df_0007232748/?hvlocphy=9046781&linkCode=df0&hvptwo&psc=1&psc=1&hvnetw=g&hvadid=310991231187&hvpone&hvlocint&th=1&hvpos&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl&hvqmt&tag=gransnetforum-21&hvtargid=pla-565724266703&hvrand=11568738588346444957

BlueBelle Tue 09-Mar-21 15:47:04

Goldeneye No No No the thought of a psychologist for a 6 year old boy with high energy levels is horrendous I couldn’t disagree more
The child sounds perfectly normal, awkward, a good bit naughty, pushing boundaries and full of unused energy maybe a bit jealous of the 8 year old maybe totally fed up with lock down, a bit young to mess around with friends ...an enquiring mind and hands and legs that need physical stuff to do
He will mature into an intelligent being who will find a niche whether it’s travelling the world, in the services or a gym instructor he may calm right down and be a financial advisor
but I doubt it I have one very active grandson who is now working his way up in the renewables industry doing awful stuff including heights out in the wild weather that I can’t bear to think about but it suits him

Tire him out Once lockdowns over start him on some physical activity clubs he s just the right age

Nanananana1 Tue 09-Mar-21 16:36:09

All children are different and maybe expecting him to 'be a certain way' isn't right for him. He might be lively, inquisitive, energetic and even bored. He may need more structured activities with guidance and support rather then 'go and play'. My eldest boy was 'lively' to say the least, had no learning difficulties he was just one of life's balls of energy and still is (at 35). Yes they are hard work but worth all the effort you can muster to keep them interested with challenging and engaging things to do. He settled down by age 10-ish to painting model figures and collecting things (like boys do) so all is not lost. Good luck with your bright young thing he could turn out to be the one who shines!

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 16:38:40

Has he got "The Dangerous Book for Boys" ? He's a bit young but some of the projects in there might interest him

I was trying to remember the name of that book to suggest it, thanks trisher.

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 16:49:47

Some children can be hard work, it doesn't mean they need to see a psychologist.

Scientific experiments can be fun and some could seem rather 'naughty' to channel his mischeviousness eg exploding apples, volcano eruptions etc

trisher Tue 09-Mar-21 16:57:05

Great minds think alike Callistemon!!!

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 17:00:43

I'm remembering DGS at that age, he's 13 now and much quieter!
Children are so restricted at the moment and in fact more restricted even during normal times.

happycatholicwife1 Tue 09-Mar-21 18:22:51

ADHD maybe?

trisher Tue 09-Mar-21 18:42:11

When my brother went to secondary school age 11 he used to impress me if we were left in the house by ourselves by recreating science experiments. He blew and exploded bubbles using a gas tap, showed me how custard powder sparkled when you sprinkled it on a gas flame and blew the lid off a custard powder tin. I thought it was incredible. If he did it now would people think he needed treatment?

pinkym Tue 09-Mar-21 20:36:32

I think a lot of you have hit the nail on the head. I truly don't think he has any sort of "condition", he certainly loves investigating and experimenting. Talking to my other DS today and he said the bath bomb down the toilet was the sort of thing he would have probably tried just to see what would happen, so maybe there is a bit of a gene in there! I'm thinking the book might be a good idea for him, by the sounds of it, it would really appeal to him. A lot of what he does is typical of an energetic archetypal boy but some things, like pouring Mum's Clarins lotion on the bed are just so naughty and purposeless. I do genuinely believe he will turn into a decent young man, but it's awful to see my DS and DIL practically on their knees at times with trying to keep him from completely wrecking the house and their possessions.

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 20:39:39

trisher

When my brother went to secondary school age 11 he used to impress me if we were left in the house by ourselves by recreating science experiments. He blew and exploded bubbles using a gas tap, showed me how custard powder sparkled when you sprinkled it on a gas flame and blew the lid off a custard powder tin. I thought it was incredible. If he did it now would people think he needed treatment?

I did have a school friend who blew off some fingers making fireworks shock but he was much older, at grammar school.

I had a chemistry set and remember experimenting with a toy stove I had, which melted.

So science experiments should be supervised carefully!

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 20:40:15

I may try the custard powder experiment

Okdokey08 Tue 09-Mar-21 22:49:21

Can only repeat some of the advice as a bit similar to my grandson ADHD, mild autism. Hope you get the support and answers your looking for.

sparkynan Sat 13-Mar-21 20:24:52

He sounds like my nearly 8 year old GS, he was always hyper active from the minute he could walk, poor sleeper. Often sitting downstairs at 5am... He talks non stop and every thing has to be done in his order. We had straps put on our upstairs windows to stop him climbing out, he takes things to pieces and often hides thing.. I remember when he was 6, he managed to open our back gate and walk through an alley past several houses and knocked at the front door.... I nearly had a heart attack. Back gate now has several bolts and padlocked... He has been diagnosed with ADHD. He is highly intelligent and understands thing very quickly. I love him to bits, but he is HARD work.. bless him.