Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

AIBU to expect birthday cards?

(79 Posts)
Sunnysideup Sun 21-Mar-21 17:20:47

I have three grandsons, 12,13 and 16. I recently celebrated my birthday and received lovely presents from my son and daughter. Usually, my grandsons names are included on the cards their parents send but not this year. Therefore I thought I would receive separate cards from them, after all, they are old enough to buy them themselves. But I didn’t and I feel a bit hurt. Am I wrong to feel like this? I know COVID makes everything difficult but cards are sold in every corner shop and supermarket. Would value your opinions.

Tangerine Tue 23-Mar-21 16:01:42

I used to send my grandmothers cards but it was a different time and things were different.

Mum used to remind me. I think she probably provided the card too and bought the present to which she would have asked for a small contribution.

Once I went to work at 16, it was up to me to be responsible but I think Mum did issue reminders.

I am sorry you were upset though.

welbeck Tue 23-Mar-21 17:48:08

i find this interesting.
am rather surprised that several people have what may be seen as sexist ideas that males cannot be expected to have anything to do with such greetings and furthermore that it is up to the women in their life to do this for them.
one even doing it for a 40 year old son?
now i understand the MN discussion.
one said her MIL handed her a book at her wedding reception. she said, what's this ? MIL: it's a list of all our family with their addresses and birthdays, so you can send the cards. she smiled handed it back, saying, i don't send cards, maybe your son might want it.

Franbern Wed 24-Mar-21 09:26:42

Last year my birthday came just as lockdown was ending, but not completely. I had the most wonderful electronic message. It was very carefully prepared video, which showed ALL my adult children (and their pártners), all my grandchildren, sending me birthday greetings. Although each family did this in the safety of their own homes, a poem had been written to cover all five families, and it looked as if they were throwing a ball of paper between each person. Very, very clever - actually had me in tears. AND, I got the daughter who had made and edited it, to put it on a memory stick for me, so I can just play whenever I need a boost.

WOW, so much nicer than any card and I have it to keep - this involved all five of my children, four husbands./wives and eight g.children aged from 7yrs to 20 yrs, each with their own individual shot.