Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

My son and GD have fallen out with each, has anyone been in a similar situation?

(55 Posts)
Semiruralgirl Thu 01-Apr-21 12:18:15

My elder GD, now 25, has fallen out with my son, her Dad. She refuses to discuss the problem with my son. My son is divorced from her mother a couple of years ago, unfortunately acrimoniously. Up until very recently, GD and mother didn’t get on for many years, she was almost excluded by her Mum. My GD has always been a bit of a difficult child although we haven’t witnessed it particularly (as we live some distance away and don’t get to see the GC that often). She ‘took off’ from home when she was 16 which caused her parents and me great anxiety, but her parents would never discuss the matter with me. (My son was very loyal to his family). However GD kept in touch with me, texting etc, and eventually arrived back home. She is very intelligent and bright, and has recently been diagnosed with autism. However her Mum has (suddenly) started taking an interest in her, previously only seeing her DD once every couple of months, now seeing her every weekend. And just as suddenly GD has turned against her Dad. It almost seems as though her mother might be ‘bad mouthing’ my son to my GD? He is very upset; GD leaves him quite unpleasant phone messages and texts and says she doesn’t want to speak to him again. I don’t want to fall out with her, and so don’t discuss the matter with her, and we seem to be ok. I have always tried to be a support to her, and have never been judgemental. I have suggested to my son that he and my GD go to a family counsellor/therapist - my GD apparently refuses to do this. I then suggested he goes himself to a family counsellor who might help him handle this unhappy situation. The other 2 GC are fine and happy. I wondered if anyone had any helpful suggestions?

Loislovesstewie Sun 04-Apr-21 20:13:49

Caligrandma

Very tough situation. On one level you want to see if you can rectify, on the other level it will be turned on you too. On another level it's simply very bad and evil behaviour to disown a parent and to ignore it seems easiest although what does ignoring evil behaviour say about ourselves. Very tricky. Chances are very high that saying anything ( including calling out evil behaviour) is going to jeopardize GD relationship with you. I would talk to your son. Sympathize with this dreadful D behaviour and ask is there anything he would like you to do. My heart goes out to his kind of suffering. There are no words for this selfish evil behaviour that people feel entitled to these days. I'm sure your son was a loving devoted generous father. I'm sure of it. I would reach out to your son and offer support and ask him what he would like you to do. This is not going to change anytime soon. I wish I could tell these 20 and 30 year olds what the xxxx are they doing. Incredibly narcissistic of the GD. Support your son I say. Be on the side of Christianity rather than the side of evil.

Sorry but I think this comment is incredibly unkind. 'Evil', saying 'be on the side of Christianity' and then saying some of the things you have said. Where is your compassion? We don't know exactly what has happened and can't speculate, offering support is one thing but suggesting that a person is evil is not acceptable.

Eloethan Sun 04-Apr-21 19:50:15

If her Mum is now taking a new, sudden interest in your granddaughter, I expect this engenders quite a feeling of relief and gratitude. The novelty may wear off though, so just continue seeing your granddaughter without getting involved in the situation re her Mum and Dad and things might eventually go back to normal. It must be difficult for you but if you get involved it will only complicate issues.

Caligrandma Sun 04-Apr-21 19:40:58

Very tough situation. On one level you want to see if you can rectify, on the other level it will be turned on you too. On another level it's simply very bad and evil behaviour to disown a parent and to ignore it seems easiest although what does ignoring evil behaviour say about ourselves. Very tricky. Chances are very high that saying anything ( including calling out evil behaviour) is going to jeopardize GD relationship with you. I would talk to your son. Sympathize with this dreadful D behaviour and ask is there anything he would like you to do. My heart goes out to his kind of suffering. There are no words for this selfish evil behaviour that people feel entitled to these days. I'm sure your son was a loving devoted generous father. I'm sure of it. I would reach out to your son and offer support and ask him what he would like you to do. This is not going to change anytime soon. I wish I could tell these 20 and 30 year olds what the xxxx are they doing. Incredibly narcissistic of the GD. Support your son I say. Be on the side of Christianity rather than the side of evil.

BelindaB Sun 04-Apr-21 16:28:57

My eldest granddaughter has been living with me for the past 7-8 months. She called me one day in a complete state and then admitted that my son had been very "handy" with her and her sibs for a long time. This time, he had gone to far and beaten her badly. I told her to come straight here.

When things had settled down I wrote to my son and told him that I didn't want to see or hear from him until such time as he 1) apologised to her and 2) assured both her and me that it would not happen again. She was 19 at the time but is now 20. He is a single dad who had brought up her and her 2 brothers and whom I had always admired, until she confessed that this has been going on for years and years.

He is not a small man. He used to Cage Fight for relaxation and could easily have killed her. She will be staying with me until she can find her feet as well as somewhere to live.

I cannot abide violence - especially towards women and children. I could not care less if men knock 7 bells out of each other.

icanhandthemback Sun 04-Apr-21 13:40:20

Your GF is 25 surely schools must have identified some issues as to her autism.

Sadly, it is all too common for girls not to be identified. I'd put money on my daughter being ASD but at school her behaviour was masked. She went around with a blank expression on her face for her teachers rather than the meltdowns we had the moment she came through the door. She was my "difficult" child. Unfortunately, as an adult, until she asks for a diagnosis, she will never be diagnosed.

My DIL is now in her 30's and has only just been identified despite her brother and sister being diagnosed years ago. She was just better at hiding it than them.

Florida12 Sun 04-Apr-21 10:44:15

I would follow the advice of the stay neutral and don’t interfere given above. They are all grown and mature. It would be a different matter if the gran daughter was around eight years old and being neglected or abused.
I learned this lesson, I have a ten year old non verbal autistic grandson, he was diagnosed at four.
My daughter very diplomatically told me to stop making it all about me, and how I affects me, she felt that at thirty one I insulted her intelligence/decision making, and I will not always be around to prop her up.

Shropshirelass Sun 04-Apr-21 09:36:06

My ex husband was violent towards me and we divorced when my son was small, he had access to him but caused all sorts of problems and eventually turned my son against me. As a result I no longer have contact with my DS and have never met my GC, in fact I only found out I had GC through an old school friend of my DS. My DS cut himself off from my parents too in spite of them always being there for him. They didn’t try to get involved just waited to see if he would contact them, sadly he didn’t and it is now too late. I would love to put the record straight and say how it was for me but fear I will never have the opportunity, it is probably better to let sleeping dogs lie. I might write a letter to him to be passed on when I am no longer on this planet. I am afraid I don’t know what the answer is, but you still see your GD, I wouldn’t jeopardise that.

ElaineRI55 Sun 04-Apr-21 09:24:44

I have a friend who was in a similar situation to your son. His wife left suddenly and he brought up his two children through the teenage years. When their mum came back into their life, it seemed they couldn't cope with having a good relationship with both parents and"sided with" their mum even although my friend had been careful not to criticise her in front of his children. Maybe your GD can't cope with thinking both parents love her, and both have good points but sees the situation as black and white - one parent must be the good one, the other bad ( especially if DIL has been saying negative things about your son).
All you can do is be there for her and, if natural opportunities arise, try to encourage her to have contact with her dad and recognise that neither parent is perfect.
All the best in what must be a very painful situation.

Semiruralgirl Sun 04-Apr-21 07:22:40

Thank you all for your very helpful suggestions and comments, particularly Dowsabella, it is comforting to know one isn’t alone.

sparkynan Sun 04-Apr-21 06:50:02

Maybe suggest to your son that he reply to GD's texts in a kind way. such as,
It sounds like your angry with me and I'm sorry for that, but I'll always love you and I'm here for you when you need me.

Loislovesstewie Sun 04-Apr-21 05:27:40

Coco51

I may be cynical, but could the late interest on the part of your ex~DIL have anything to do with the diagnosis of Autism - and a possible DLA/PIP entitlement?

Any PIP paid would go direct to the GC not to the parent as we are talking about an adult.

Yellowmellow Sat 03-Apr-21 21:32:58

You say your granddaughter has recently been diagnosed with Autism . This would account for her behaviour. Dont take sides but it would be worth reading about Autism for a good understanding and getting support through one of the Autism support networks.

Summerfly Sat 03-Apr-21 19:32:31

What a difficult situation for you. It’s hard to stand back and not be able to help, but as others have already said, stay neutral. Your son and granddaughter are both adults, and much as it hurts, there really isn’t anything you can do, other than be there to listen to them both. It’s so sad when families are at odds with one another. Just carry on being the good mother and grandmother that you are. Sending hugs ?

TrendyNannie6 Sat 03-Apr-21 17:23:16

I would stay out of it, I wouldn’t be doing any meetings between the two of them , I would let her know you are always there for her if she wanted to talk same as I’d be for my son but there’s no way I’d be taking sides

welbeck Sat 03-Apr-21 17:17:35

agree with Bluebell above. be neutral. and don't do any manipulation as someone suggested, staged meetings etc. that would be alienate her. and it's not respectful.
also i think you should try to change how you think/refer to your GD.
you say she was a difficult child.
isn't that a bit like saying a dyslexic was lazy at reading/writing.

Heraandboys123 Sat 03-Apr-21 16:46:20

Depends on how close you are to your son - if you've had issues with him or are closer to any of his siblings your input could be misunderstood. The girl must respect her father unless he has been awful to her. Much also depends on how well you know your DIL - your post doesn't sound very supportive of her as the girls mother. As some here have said it's best to say little about the dynamics of the family relationships if you haven't witnessed things first hand having physical distance between yourself and GC. I lived with both sets of grandparents at intervals under 16yo and saw them weekly as I grew up. However I learnt not to discuss my parents as my mother's father didn't like my dad and my dads mum wasn't a fan of my mothers! I rarely spoke to my father's mum about him as she worshipped him and wouldn't believe a word against him even when he was obviously drunk and disorderly. My own granddaughter is just 4yo and despite the ups and downs we grandparents experience with her mother, our daughter, I am determined to back her mum so the child grows up confident and stable. Partner and I didn't have grandparents who'd help with our children so no where for them to go if they fell out with us. Lots of teens do fall out with their parents. Love is the answer and truly respecting each and every family member. Not wise to ever discuss parents with their children so keep neutral, be patient and you'll help the girl and your son bond again.

Hopefully64 Sat 03-Apr-21 14:20:58

Read up on ASC in felmalesas it very different to men, does it ring any bells for or your x dil behaviour . Then sit back and read up on ASC in men does in ring any bells in your husband or son behaviour.
And other have said don't take sides . And learn how to deal with felmale ASC person .

BlueBelle Sat 03-Apr-21 13:35:50

Someone above said let her know how sad the situation makes you feel.... please don’t that’s just adding your misery to the upset and it’s not about you at all please don’t put that on her shoulders

Daisend1 Sat 03-Apr-21 13:19:37

They are not children. Stay out of it as you do not want to find yourself being accused of 'taking sides'.

cyndrake Sat 03-Apr-21 13:12:37

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

crazygranny Sat 03-Apr-21 13:12:28

It's their problem and you are only a long-distance spectator. Keep up the good relations between you and any other of your AC and GC. That's all you can do.

Theoddbird Sat 03-Apr-21 12:51:38

Let them sort it out themselves. Trying to interfere will cause all kinds of problems. Stay out of it...

greenlady102 Sat 03-Apr-21 12:45:57

I agree, stay friendly, stay neutral, listen but don't comment to ANYBODY

Annaram1 Sat 03-Apr-21 12:44:16

Goodynanny, you are on the wrong thread. You can start your own and people will then advise you. Good luck.

timetogo2016 Sat 03-Apr-21 12:36:27

Stay well out of it,it could all go belly up

And Goodnanny,beware of this equaty release thing,it`s not as it sounds.