Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

First great grandchild

(57 Posts)
Lesley60 Tue 04-May-21 23:05:01

Hi Everyone, I hope this post doesn’t sound silly but I’m expecting my first Great- grandchild
My granddaughter in law is only five months pregnant on her first baby and they have already bought everything and decorated the nursery.
It’s the first grandchild for both sets of parents and the big things like prams and cots etc are on order.
My problem is what can I buy, I didn’t exactly expect to become a great - grandma at 62 but would like to buy something special that doesn’t get cast aside in six weeks when it’s grown out of I wanted something for them to keep although don’t want to give money or open an account
I thought some of you wise ladies may have some ideas.

sarahcyn Thu 06-May-21 11:01:41

I know you want to buy a "thing" but in fact what is really, really needed by new parents these days, often living far from family, is support in the perinatal period. I teach antenatal classes and also classes for new grandparents and this is something which comes back from clients over and over: the bits and bobs are nice to have but what really changes their lives is having a birth doula, a postnatal doula or both. You can get gift vouchers from www.doula.org.uk which they can exchange for doula services.

jenni123 Thu 06-May-21 11:04:27

Premium Bond, it will be kept and if lucky give some cash

CBT61 Thu 06-May-21 11:05:46

I think only a parent or guardian can start a pension fund or ISA. I like the photo shoot idea but be careful- my daughter had one as a gift from her sister in law when their first baby was born two years ago but the package only included 1 small photo and there were so many lovely prints that it actually cost them a couple of hundred pounds extra! It is so tempting to agree to more and they are so expensive. They had 4 pictures in the end.
How about a book with a bookplate in the front with a handwritten dedication to the child? If you chose a treasury of children’s stories I bet it would be kept as it wouldn’t be outgrown quickly. Or maybe a bookshelf too?

Lesley60 Thu 06-May-21 11:06:43

So sorry Rufus2, I didn’t mean to exclude you gents ?

Sadgrandma Thu 06-May-21 11:17:09

Can I just offer a word of warning about professional photoshoots. I bought my DD and SIL one a couple of years ago. It included a framed print. They were delighted with the actual shoot and were invited back the next week to see the photos and choose their one and any others they wanted to buy. This rang warning bells to me and I warned them that they might get a hard sell. However, the photos were all really lovely (well they thought so) and, yes, they were given a fairly hard sell. They ended up paying £500 for all the photos on a memory stick and a framed collage, which, to be honest, I didn't think much of - didn't say.
If you do want to buy a photoshoot look for a private photographer rather than one that is part of a chain, and make sure you get the full cost up front. It may appear more expensive but would be cheaper in the long run and less hassle.

Merryweather Thu 06-May-21 11:18:12

A hand and foot casting kit with a display frame? Have a look at baby rice I think the site is. Just beautiful. You use a gloopy mix in a jug to make a mould of the foot/ hand then fill the mould with the cast. Break the mould off and you can see every little line and wrinkle The display frames hold the hand/ foot in place with room for a poem / date etc. I did one of my children in the neonatal unit. I treasure it.

Rowsie Thu 06-May-21 11:18:35

What about a good quality teddy bear. We all have bears from our childhood and this could be something the child might keep for ever. Steiff and Harrods do special bears each year, a bit pricey but one with their birth year on would be nice.

Fran72 Thu 06-May-21 11:19:53

I agree with photoshoot. It would be a lovely keepsake. and a promise of a meal out with babysitting when they are ready. Congratulations!

Petera Thu 06-May-21 11:21:47

ixion

A nice silver photo frame?

For the 'four generations' photo

janeainsworth Thu 06-May-21 11:38:49

Congratulations Lesley?

I’ve bought jewellery (silver bangles) for two great nieces as a baby arrival one-off gift - we don’t live close to them & we won’t be giving Christmas or birthday presents.

I reckoned that they would have loads of the usual baby stuff so I gave them something which could be given to them when they’re older & could enjoy in their grown-up lives.
I went to a local jeweller here in Northumberland who makes all her own pieces so I felt it was quite personal.

janeainsworth Thu 06-May-21 11:41:07

www.sarahhickey.co.uk if anyone’s interested.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 06-May-21 11:50:48

I still have the copy of Winnie-the-Pooh that my grandmother, I think, bought me sometime long before I could read, It may have been a christening present, I don't know.

What I do know, is that Daddy read it to me when I was three and I remember looking at the pictures with him.

Later on I read the book for myself, or aloud to my own teddies.

I still fetch it down off the shelf when I am feeling blue and it always helps meeting all those old, loved friends.

Congratulations!

LindyB Thu 06-May-21 11:56:18

My children had Steiff teddy bears. Although the children have now grown up the bears are still much loved by their children. Many many years of cuddles they are still very special.

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 12:02:43

I’ve got to share this, though it is a little off track. My great granddaughter turned 2 yesterday and my granddaughter said what she would really, really like is a soft big toy duck. Well we combed the shops and couldn’t find one and just as we were getting in the car to go home I noticed a brand new huge one sitting outside the local Rotary shop. Apparently the previous owner just brought it in half an hour earlier because her kids were too old for it and had never really played with it. It is lovely. Right place at the right time.

Azalea99 Thu 06-May-21 12:03:26

I gave a teddy bear (which I haven’t seen since then). I know that my granddaughter doesn’t keep things, so the main present was premium bonds.

SJV07 Thu 06-May-21 12:34:32

I agree with the Port!

However, if you enjoy stitching, tapestry or cross-stich, lots of lovely samplers available in either. Jolly Red is particullarly good. I stitched just a 'nameplate' which sits across the middle of a cushion, with decorative border, no dates etc. but they can say 'Granny made me this' and keep it for ever, or till it wears out!

Or a 40 year/never ending calender?

SecondhandRose Thu 06-May-21 12:39:09

A family history book or photos of your family who have passed away with details of who they were etc and some savings money.

Suze56 Thu 06-May-21 13:09:35

I would buy a book that you can inscribe with a message - not necessarily a baby book but something they can grow into. Handmade blankets are lovely - but helpful to know the parents tastes, especially re colour.

Chardy Thu 06-May-21 13:13:14

SecondhandRose A brilliant idea. Those photo books are lovely.
Lesley60 If you contact your grandchild's MiL perhaps she can find some old photos, birth/marriage/death dates etc

Hithere Thu 06-May-21 13:22:11

I agree with bibbity.

Keepsakes, depending in the kind of parents they are, may be just clutter.

As for "For the 'four generations' photo with silver frame", it is very old fashioned and may mean more to the older generations than the new ones

Why not ask the parents?

Shelagh6 Thu 06-May-21 13:35:22

Premium Bonds and a Teddy Bear!

Purplepixie Thu 06-May-21 13:38:26

Congratulations!

How about a good old fashioned photo album?

Oofy Thu 06-May-21 14:33:10

@Doodledog
A friend in Uni got engaged (and subsequently married) to a lovely chap, who came from a very posh background and had been given a “pipe” of port (no idea how much that is without googling it) laid down for him as a christening gift. Friend proceeded to drink her way through it as port and lemon.

GolferGrandma Thu 06-May-21 16:22:16

Lesley60. I have yet to be in your position as my eldest Granddaughter is only 14, but I bought my 4 Grandchildren a gold sovereign each. Something which may appreciate in value and they can 'cash in' later in life if in need of cash. The idea was started by my GreatGrandfather who gave a sovereign to my Father, his first Grandchild, who in turn passed it on to his first Grandchild (my Daughter).

jaylucy Thu 06-May-21 16:40:58

The photo session or just a frame sounds lovely, there is always a really nice teddy - Harrods have bears with the year on their foot.
Is there anything that you have in your house that has been passed down that you can pass on or have a look on Etsy - there are some lovely things on there that are bound to be something special.