Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

First great grandchild

(57 Posts)
Lesley60 Tue 04-May-21 23:05:01

Hi Everyone, I hope this post doesn’t sound silly but I’m expecting my first Great- grandchild
My granddaughter in law is only five months pregnant on her first baby and they have already bought everything and decorated the nursery.
It’s the first grandchild for both sets of parents and the big things like prams and cots etc are on order.
My problem is what can I buy, I didn’t exactly expect to become a great - grandma at 62 but would like to buy something special that doesn’t get cast aside in six weeks when it’s grown out of I wanted something for them to keep although don’t want to give money or open an account
I thought some of you wise ladies may have some ideas.

janeainsworth Thu 06-May-21 16:58:22

Golfer my Grandma left each of her four granddaughters a gold sovereign.
I got a gold mount for mine and wear it on a chain - the last occasion on my Golden Wedding day.

NotANana Thu 06-May-21 17:43:17

I like the idea of a gold sovereign with the year of your GGC's birth...
Or open a savings account (it would have to be in your name) and stash away a little bit each month for when the child is 18/21 etc. Update your Will, just in case...to make sure that the money goes where you intend it to if you don't make it to their birthday.
A nice piece of jewellery for when the child grows up (I had one half of a pair of pearl earrings reset onto a pendant fitting and put it onto a gold chain for when the child is older.)
Or invest in a really good watch for when they get older...
I know that modern young people don't wear wristwatches on a day-to-day basis, but it might be a lovely thing for a boy (or a girl) to wear on a graduation day or wedding day....

Things which are specifically "for the baby" will be grown out of so quickly, and toys etc likewise. I would go for the longer-term thinking.

Summerlove Thu 06-May-21 19:12:36

I think the photography idea is perfect!

Elvis58 Thu 06-May-21 19:22:57

A personlised piggy bank is a good gift, sets them on the road to saving.
Or a handmade gift knitted blanket,crochet, quilt anything of that ilk.

HillyN Thu 06-May-21 21:21:51

Once you know your GGC's name, how about some personalised tableware, maybe something like in this picture?

Doodledog Thu 06-May-21 21:32:48

Oofy

@Doodledog
A friend in Uni got engaged (and subsequently married) to a lovely chap, who came from a very posh background and had been given a “pipe” of port (no idea how much that is without googling it) laid down for him as a christening gift. Friend proceeded to drink her way through it as port and lemon.

?

When we were first married I used half a bottle of my husband's fancy port in the Christmas gravy. It tasted great, but he wasn't impressed . . .