Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Theatre suitable for 13 year old girl?

(32 Posts)
DaisyL Wed 02-Jun-21 14:40:52

My granddaughter will be 13 in December. When her brother turned 13 I took him to a very expensive restaurant as he is quite a 'foodie', My granddaughter loves literature and drama so I thought I would take her to the theatre - does anyone have any recommendations? She mentioned Six - apparently it is very good but not sure if it will be on then. I see that they are doing Frozen on the stage - but my son thinks that she has grown out of that - although she told me categorically that it was the best film that had ever been made.

muffinthemoo Wed 02-Jun-21 14:47:13

She might want to see Frozen if she was a big fan of the film; the theatre adaptation is popular with young adults.

Is Wicked still on anywhere? That’s very popular too.

Ellianne Wed 02-Jun-21 14:48:50

War Horse
Love never dies
Wicked

Charleygirl5 Wed 02-Jun-21 14:49:51

You possibly want the theatre trip to be a surprise but to save yourself a lot of money and angst I would ask her what she would like to see. Hopefully you will be able to get her a list of what will be available.

Soozikinzi Wed 02-Jun-21 14:54:56

I suppose it will depend where you live and what’s on at the time I’ve heard six is very good and wicked but if she likes frozen ? Lion king is absolutely superb for any age . Hairspray , dirty dancing and beauty and the beast are all on here up north . I’m sure she’ll enjoy any -it’s the experience of the live theatre isn’t it !

Alima Wed 02-Jun-21 14:58:09

Don’t take her to The Rocky Horror Show. We invited one of our daughter’s friends when she was about that age to see that. She loved it but we spent all the time wondering what on earth her parents would think.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Jun-21 15:02:11

Wicked, Lion King, Phantom of the Opera or I think there is going to be a new production of Cinderella.

Hithere Wed 02-Jun-21 15:05:33

I think your son is right, she has outgrown frozen.

A quick google of six says it is suitable for kids over 10+

Sounds empowering and fun! Go for it

Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. From Tudor Queens to Pop Princesses, theSIXwives of Henry VIII take the mic to reclaim their identities out of the shadow of their infamous spouse—remixing five hundred years of historical heartbreak into an exuberant celebration of 21st century girl power. The female cast are backed by an all-female band, the "Ladies in Waiting."

Elusivebutterfly Wed 02-Jun-21 15:44:43

I went to see Les Miserables last week with 13 and 15 year old girls and they loved it. They also liked ballet (pre lockdown when a bit younger). The older one liked War Horse.

tanith Wed 02-Jun-21 15:57:52

I took my GD at 14 to the open air theatre at Regents Park we saw Evita and she loved it . They have some great things on this Sumer.

openairtheatre.com/

ginny Wed 02-Jun-21 16:08:37

School of Rock. , if still on
Hairspray.

BlueBelle Wed 02-Jun-21 16:38:19

The lion king, Wicked war horse would be my choices

cornishpatsy Wed 02-Jun-21 17:30:26

It depends on where you are, what is on, and what she likes.

BBbevan Wed 02-Jun-21 17:35:48

Don’t go to Billy Elliot. The language is dreadful.

Juno56 Wed 02-Jun-21 17:36:26

I took my Goddaughter to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child when she was 14 and we enjoyed it very much. The only thing is that it is in two parts. We saw it on the same day, matinee followed by the evening performance with a break of about two hours between.

muffinthemoo Wed 02-Jun-21 18:28:25

You said her birthday was in December: the Almeida’s production of Macbeth is running then with Saoirse Ronan as Lady Macbeth.

DaisyL Wed 02-Jun-21 18:34:59

I don't think I could do War Horse as I would be crying all the way through. The Lion King is a good idea - I think it might be that or Six - thank you so much for suggestions. I am going to consult with her but I just want to have a few options.

Kim19 Wed 02-Jun-21 18:38:20

Matilda, Annie, Lion King.

welbeck Wed 02-Jun-21 18:42:13

what about something at the Globe.
that's real drama for you.
many of the others are musicals, which are ok, but for a theatre fan, the Globe is something special.

vegansrock Wed 02-Jun-21 18:49:26

I took young teens to School of Rock they loved it. There is a new production of Cinderella by Andrew Lloyd Webber coming on which could be good for that age group.

DaisyL Thu 03-Jun-21 11:06:21

Thank you all so much for the suggestions - I am seeing her this weekend so I have a lot to be going on with and to discuss with her.

greenlady102 Thu 03-Jun-21 11:13:15

I think it would be a wonderful grown up addition to the gift to let her choose.

JaneJudge Thu 03-Jun-21 11:18:21

War Horse is very upsetting though my son (similar age) didn't cry whilst I sobbed and sobbed like a bloody baby and I think it has scarred him for life grin

I agree with the recommendation for Wicked smile

M0nica Thu 03-Jun-21 11:22:11

Ask her! I wouldn't dream of giving a present like this without consulting with the recipient as to what they would like to see.

If you dont ask you could end up with a grand daughter who remembers the visit as an unforgetable experience, because it was such an awful evening rather than a lovely evening out with grandma/granny/nanna/nanny

Chardy Thu 03-Jun-21 11:42:26

Give her a list of 4 to choose from?