Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Naming of step grandparents

(155 Posts)
suzandy7 Mon 14-Jun-21 18:56:30

My daughter (37) insists on her stepfather being called Uncle...... (1st name) instead of 'Grandpa' which is what he really wants. My Granddaughter is 22months old.
We have been married for nearly 16 years and he has been part of our lives for nearly 20 years.
This is really breaking his heart (and mine) as he has always loved her and treated her as his own daughter. I don't want a show-down but this elephant in the room is squashing my life!
Surely he is entitled to be called what he wants not what she wants?
We think this is so her birth father doesn't get angry with the little one (or daughter) if she should refer to him as Grandpa in years to come. (He's still the same bully as ever)
We don't see them very often as they are 160 miles away.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you resolve it?

Farmor15 Mon 30-Jan-23 15:52:10

This is an old thread but may still be relevant for some. I had a step-grandmother (GM had died before I was born and my grandfather married again). She was always Auntie A to me, not any kind or Grandmother name. She wasn't a gran type anyway and I never really thought of her as a grandmother.

On the other hand I have a friend who is a step-grandmother and is known as Granny M to her step-grandchildren, which is what she wants and she acts like a granny!

I suppose it depends on the family and the type of relationship the children have with the step-gran. If the "real" gran on that side is still alive, I can see that calling by first name may be preferable and avoid confusion is mind of child. Of course the same issues apply to naming of step-parents.

Grams2five Tue 31-Jan-23 06:52:15

GrannyRose15

I think you should let your daughter know that this is upsetting your husband. I agree he should not be called anything he does not like - nobody should.

You may find that the child herself starts to use a pet name for him when she starts to talk which will solve the problem and no doubt delight him.

I must say I disagree. “He doesn’t have to be called anything he doesn’t like”. Perhaps but he also can’t demand to be grandpa or any of the alternatives- because he is in fact not grandpa . It’s obvious her daughter doesn’t think of him
As her father , so doesn’t think of him as a grandfather either. And you know
What? That’s okay! It doesn’t have to mean she doesn’t care for him
Or
That he doesn’t love the little girl
- but it means he’s not grandpa .

LRavenscroft Tue 31-Jan-23 08:37:00

In my family one cousin had 8 grandparents and they called them by their name as in Granny Smith or Granpa John

Grantanow Tue 31-Jan-23 10:11:25

It was never acceptable in my family to call any older adult member by their first name even when I was 60+. They seemed to regard it as undermining their status as did my parents when I tried it.