Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Should I say something?

(84 Posts)
Edge26 Fri 30-Jul-21 19:57:59

I dropped off my 2 GS's after looking after them today which I do 2 afternoons a week. They both have slight colds and coughs ( should I even be looking after them ) not covid as they have been tested. Today has been very showery and when they got home it had stopped raining and temperature had dropped. My son changed the younger one's nappy , he is 13 months old,and then let him play outside without dressing him again. I mentioned should he be outside with a cough and cold and no clothes on. He said oh he'll be ok, so bit my tongue and said you're his parent. I mentioned it to my DIL who was sitting inside and she told my son to put some clothes on him. Am I being an old fashioned Grandma where as it's best to keep a child indoors if they are a bit under the weather and do you other Grandma's think I should have said something about keeping him indoors ?

esgt1967 Wed 04-Aug-21 10:12:42

I remember when we were younger we were ALWAYS outside (except when it was absolutely chucking it down obviously) and the Covid situation has highlighted how important being outside is!!

Witzend Wed 04-Aug-21 12:22:16

Especially if they attend a nursery or other childcare, babies and young children often pick up one cold after the other - my Gdcs certainly did.

But unless they were clearly unwell I don’t think it would ever have entered dd’s head to keep them indoors, certainly not in summer - even in a damp and disappointing one.

As for no clothes, in summer, my Gds (just 5), still enjoys racketing around the garden starkers, and the younger Gdd (19 months is still often in the garden in just a nappy, or even without one.
I often wonder if they’re cold and could do with a jumper but TBH they’re all so active that they rarely seem to feel it, even when I am feeling chilly.

Ydoc Thu 05-Aug-21 08:50:17

Crikey , reading these replies made me quite sad. Are we not "allowed" to state what is very often common sense, frim experience we have etc etc. My own mum woukd not mince her wirds and quite rightly. Its as though you are afraid of upsetting your own offspring which is very wrong. Very very sad times we live in.

timetogo2016 Thu 05-Aug-21 08:57:02

I would never dream of poking my nose in.
They are the parents at the end of the day.
We as grandparents keep our noses out and mouths shut even if we do not agree with how/what they let the chidren do.

Toadinthehole Thu 05-Aug-21 09:23:03

It’s not the fact he had a cold which would bother me. I agree, fresh air is very important, and yes, there’s a great deal of advantage to being outside generally. It’s the fact he’s only 13 months old. How safe is the garden? Was he being watched? Too much flesh exposed is bound to increase his vulnerability.
In our garden for example, we have foxes, mosquitoes. It’s big, so many places to hide, and on a hill. A nightmare in many ways.
I suppose by the time you get to 13 months, you’ve got a pretty good idea of how your children are with their children, and maybe shouldn’t have been a surprise. I would never normally advocate getting involved, but in this case, I’d want to double check.
I can’t imagine any of my children doing this to be honest.

Lizzy60 Fri 06-Aug-21 08:02:35

Why wouldn't the child have been re - dressed ? All depends on the outdoor temperature , if very warm /muggy then fine , if chilly put clothes on , we wouldn't be out in only our pants , would we so why would a child be exposed to the elements in this way , makes no sense to me !

Pollyj Fri 06-Aug-21 16:30:23

I think it's normal for you, as a gran, to worry about and care for your grandchildren. However, unless there is actual harm or abuse going on, your input is unlikely to be well received.

Nonnadiana Tue 17-Aug-21 19:30:14

I think I would have said something about putting some clothes on the child too unless it was really warm outside.grannies usually have more common sense