Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Stepping back from in-laws who show favouritism

(101 Posts)
annoyedmom1 Wed 05-Jan-22 22:24:07

My in-laws heavily favour my sil. She is single and had a baby using a sperm donor. The in-laws have given her more than 500k in financial help and are very involved with her and her kid.

My husband has been trained his whole life by his family to accept sil as the favourite because her life has not “gone to plan”. He sees the blatant favouritism and even remarks to me “you think I don’t know my place” when speaking of his family.

My in-laws want more access to my kids. I am happy to see them on holidays and birthdays but don’t feel like seeing them beyond this. We see my family often and my family treats everyone equally.

My in-laws were recently upset with us because they feel we favour my family. And to be honest, we do. Why would we want to spend time with people who show they value sil more than us?

His family sweeps everything under the rug and wants to go back to business as usual. But I am uninterested in this. This means we won’t be vacationing together and we won’t be staying over at their house anymore. We will still see them maybe 10 times a year.

My husband doesn’t want to discuss the favouritism with them. But I do - I’m
Tired of seeing my husband and his other sibling treated like second class citizens. Furthermore if I ever witnessed favouritism between my kids and hers, it would be an immediate cut off.

Has anyone else dealt with a situation like this?

Poppyred Thu 06-Jan-22 12:09:47

I sympathise with you completely. Keep to your rules and if they ask why I would be honest and tell them. Your husbands attitude of sweeping everything under the carpet is just enabling them to carry on as if they haven’t done any wrong.

You say they were upset with you recently, how did they express this upset?

For all those that have commented already, what happened to parents rules??

Lucca Thu 06-Jan-22 12:15:37

What happened to empathy, compromise, seeing other peoples point of view, involving husband in decisions ?

Poppyred Thu 06-Jan-22 12:17:11

Lucca

What happened to empathy, compromise, seeing other peoples point of view, involving husband in decisions ?

In laws don’t seem to have any of the above do they? And the husband is walking around with blinkers.

Lucca Thu 06-Jan-22 12:24:12

Always the grandparents at fault eh ?

VioletSky Thu 06-Jan-22 12:28:34

annoyedmom

Are you and your husband doing OK financially? Do you need and haven't had the level of help your sil has received?

Are your parents in law even aware? Maybe they just see their daughter as vulnerable and are protecting her?

Why is your sister in law not welcome? Do you think she manipulates them for financial support?

I am sorry but I am just not seeing enough for all this animosity if it is just about money

Lucca Thu 06-Jan-22 12:30:07

Yes violetsky, animosity’s the right word !

Lucca Thu 06-Jan-22 12:31:37

I have 3 siblings. At one point in my life things were very tricky for me and my mother helped me financially (not that I asked her btw) no resentment from my siblings at all.

GillT57 Thu 06-Jan-22 12:36:56

To be honest, even if the allegations of favouritism of sil are true, why would this effect the relationship your children have with their paternal grandparents, their aunt, their cousin? Are you disapproving of how your sil's child was conceived? Sorry, totally irrelevant, but the use of the word 'kid' when talking of your niece/nephew is dismissive, and the word kid/kids really grinds my gears, goats have kids, people have children!

Kalu Thu 06-Jan-22 12:40:46

Gosh, you sound like very hard work OP. Whatever money your in-laws decide to spend it on is non of your business and you give the impression this is you biggest bug bear with your in-laws as you want, what you think, you should have too!

This is all about your wants and quite honestly your in-laws may well be happy to have you and your interference in their
family gone.

Do you always speak on your DH’s behalf? Poor man.

Curlywhirly Thu 06-Jan-22 12:58:19

I presume its not what you want to hear, but I feel sorry for your in-laws! I am afraid you come across as very bitter and determined to get revenge. The comments made about babysitting, but not babysitting for fun are bizarre- what a very strange attitude. The people who will suffer most from your desperation to control and punish your in-laws are your own children. I would have loved to have had grandparents who were loving and nurturing (mine were very strict). I think you need to put aside your jealously and think what your attitude is doing to your husband and children.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 06-Jan-22 13:09:23

This made me think of the saying “two wrongs don’t make a right”.

Delila Thu 06-Jan-22 13:23:01

Poppyred, what exactly have the parents-in-law done wrong? It sounds as though they’ve given help where needed - that’s fair enough isn’t it?

And what are “parents’ rules”?

Poppyred Thu 06-Jan-22 13:50:00

Delila

*Poppyred*, what exactly have the parents-in-law done wrong? It sounds as though they’ve given help where needed - that’s fair enough isn’t it?

And what are “parents’ rules”?

In most threads on Gransnet when grand parents complain of not spending enough time with grand kids, the overwhelming answers are “They are not your children up the parents to decide”

But not on this thread…….

Delila Thu 06-Jan-22 14:07:07

And how have these grandparents transgressed?

Poppyred Thu 06-Jan-22 14:14:57

Don’t necessarily have to do anything wrong do they ? Still up to parents to decide according to most advice given on this site.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 06-Jan-22 14:18:06

I rather think you believe it’s up to you, and you alone, what happens. You sound very controlling.

Smileless2012 Thu 06-Jan-22 14:20:26

Yes up to the parents to decide but according to the OP they are her children; what about the children's other parent?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 06-Jan-22 14:28:13

I get the impression OP decides what he can do and who he can see, and when, Smileless. The words ‘thumb’ and ’under’ come to mind.

Smileless2012 Thu 06-Jan-22 14:30:46

I think you're right GSMsad.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 06-Jan-22 14:31:28

You sound hardwork, controlling and jealous. Someone posted what about parents. Rules, well there are two parents and one, mum, wants it all her way

halfpint1 Thu 06-Jan-22 14:41:51

I'm thinking this is a

halfpint1 Thu 06-Jan-22 14:43:54

Wind up. The use of 'vacationing' is a little American and the whole situation strange, 500k, hmm

grandtanteJE65 Thu 06-Jan-22 14:48:14

I find it difficult to advise you, as you didn't say how your husband feels about your attitude to his parents and their treatment of him and his sister.

I feel your first consideration here must be his feelings about what you want to do.

If he is happy not to see more of his parents well and good.

If he feels that you have misunderstood his parents' relationship with the entire family, then you will have to rethink the entire situation.

Why do you feel that your parents-in-law helping their unmarried daughter and her child is favouritism and not a natural expression of their love for her? Does you husband feel unfairly treated by them?

It is possible to read your post and feel that you are determined not to see you in-laws and don't care what your husband would like or not like here.

I hope I am wrong about this, and will gladly apologise to you if I am.

Namsnanny Thu 06-Jan-22 16:46:10

14.43 - halfpint wind up I was just wondering, as there was a poster who complained of similar problems with Inlaws, including a favourite daughter who visited un invited, a while ago.

If it isnt then Im sorry. I do feel for the ops husband and children whatever.

Allsorts Thu 06-Jan-22 16:53:42

I think you need to step back. To say you would cut your child of because they think differently to you isn’t nice, plus interfering with your husbands family, you shouldn’t be railroading across him, he probably loves them and doesn’t want upset. If he want to address tge problems you have with them he’s the one to talk to, not confront them. You all need to calm down.