Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

New Grandfather gift dilemma

(39 Posts)
Grandpops Mon 02-May-22 13:13:38

So I am sure this has been posted/asked before blush but....our first grandchild (boy) is due in July; my wife has starting knitting various baby clothes but do you have any suggestions for what a grandfather could make? I'd love it to be something they keep (although I am not naive enough to know they will!). I guess it does not have to be something for a newborn and could be something to enjoy/use later. So something handmade but not too difficult (I am not a master craftsman but have some time on my hands to take things slowly). Any suggestions gratefully received!

Shelflife Sun 22-May-22 09:13:29

Grandpops, named door plate or coat hook is a great idea. Might be wise to choose something that is relatively easy to repeat !? This is your first GC , there may be more to come , I am sure you would to treat them all equally ! Congratulations ?

timetogo2016 Sun 22-May-22 09:35:58

I too think the toy box is a good idea,and the bank account idea,maybe a box for an account book that will fit in a drawer.
Congratulations to you both too.

Grandpops Wed 24-Aug-22 10:15:46

Thanks all for the suggestions. I decided to probably wait on the toy box idea until they move owing to lack of space. So I went with the door hook idea....hopefully repeatable for other grandchildren though I hope the name begins with an easier letter to cut than "G" blush.

A bit of a struggle but within my basic carpentry skills. G is his first name, L the surname. Hardest bit was painting in a straight line as you can probably see!

Picture attached (hopefully). Admittedly a bit garish but it is supposed to show Giraffe and Grass (only G words I could think of that could be represented in colours) plus the playing kit colours of Harlequins and Leicester Rugby teams (the mother's and father's favourite teams).

I enjoyed designing and doing it so if it ends up at the bottom of a drawer I won't mind!

fairfraise Wed 24-Aug-22 10:18:23

That's really nice. And so original. Congratulations!

baubles Wed 24-Aug-22 10:19:25

How lovely Grandpops, I’m sure it will be greatly appreciated.

Chardy Wed 24-Aug-22 11:06:08

Beautiful

Ailidh Wed 24-Aug-22 11:10:17

I like the toy box idea, maybe not a huge one but one that could also be an ark, or a garage, or farm. One of those, not all three, though that would be a neat trick!

Then for subsequent birthdays a new elephant or car or sheep could be given to go into the toy.

Ailidh Wed 24-Aug-22 11:11:06

Oops, just seen what you did do - it's gorgeous!

MissAdventure Wed 24-Aug-22 11:13:10

smile
How nice to get an update.
A labour of love; the best kind of gift.

Hithere Wed 24-Aug-22 11:54:32

It is so cute!

ginny Wed 24-Aug-22 12:03:46

That’s lovely and unique.
Congratulations on your Grandson, Enjoy.

ElaineI Wed 24-Aug-22 12:54:02

Thanks for posting the photo. What you made is lovely and I'm sure will be treasured. Congratulations on the arrival of your grandson.

Helen657 Wed 24-Aug-22 13:56:15

Well done Grandpops, that’s lovely ?