Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Just tested positive for Covid

(71 Posts)
idamaryrose Fri 24-Jun-22 03:47:42

Three in the morning. Can't sleep. Having been lucky enough to have avoided covid so far, despite being out and about a lot, including teaching, I now have it. Just wondered what anyone else's symptoms are. I am barely coughing but have had the worst headache I've ever had, including all around my eyes and teeth. Have also had nausea and aches. I am lucky in that I can at least just lie in bed and don't have to look after anyone else. Apologies to anyone who has truly suffered - it's just I was wondering what other people's experience is and, as I say, I can't sleep

rosie1959 Fri 24-Jun-22 13:41:08

The range of symptoms people experience seems very extraordinary fortunately since vaccination most seem mild and flu or cold like
Our family caught Covid back in January myself and my granddaughter who is four had no symptoms whatsoever, the other grandchild had mild symptoms for a day, whilst two other adults had cold like symptoms
My son who has been around loads of people who subsequently tested positive has never caught it.
I was pleased I was testing at the time because I really would not know I had it

maddyone Fri 24-Jun-22 13:45:27

Whitewavemark2

DH just brought in some sweet peas from the garden for me.

I couldn’t smell a thing?

I can taste though - a cup of tea, tastes different but still tastes.

When I had Covid tea and coffee tasted awful. I couldn’t drink them.

aonk Fri 24-Jun-22 14:36:19

I tested positive this time last week. Now feeling a lot better. DH has had it too but with some different symptoms. My mouth now feels awful. My teeth and tongue are coated and my taste and smell have gone. Hoping it will sort itself out soon.

Sara1954 Fri 24-Jun-22 19:09:53

I didn’t lose my sense of taste or smell, but tap water had a nasty taste, it also seemed a bit slimy, I had to keep adding squash to make it drinkable.

Galaxy Fri 24-Jun-22 19:26:30

I realised something was wrong when I couldnt drink a cup of coffee, it was like being pregnant again grin

pearl79 Fri 24-Jun-22 19:50:23

Hi again Ida Mary Rose,
I've been thinking about that red beret, and can't help thinking it should have/could have come from a line of Leonard's.

Perhaps you could amuse yourself mid covid by composing something Leonard-esque?
(Anyone else can join in.)

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Jun-22 02:47:08

Anyone awake? Had about 4 hours until 1am now tossing and turning and sitting up because of the cough.

Juliet27 Sat 25-Jun-22 02:56:08

Yes, I’m awake…coughing but it’s a cough and cold I’ve caught from my son who is visiting from Australia. Ironic that when I visited him three years ago I caught a stomach bug that they’d recovered from a week or so before we arrived. These get together don’t go well !

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Jun-22 03:21:46

Hopefully you will be over that soon.

Just been researching on line about how to clear your lungs, I’m coughing up mucus at the moment.

Breathing exercises are the thing to do, but I can’t do them without coughing like mad??‍?
I’ll try again in the morning.

Juliet27 Sat 25-Jun-22 03:29:29

Hope you manage to get a bit more sleep…hope I do too!

Harris27 Sat 25-Jun-22 05:20:02

I had it in February after dodging it for two years. No taste or smell and lethargic. Headaches awful. You will get through it and I would just say rest. Good luck.

Newquay Sat 25-Jun-22 07:54:15

DH now tested positive yesterday. Not feeling very well; cough and head cold and upset stomach and very tired. We’re supposed to be going to a hotel Monday week at the coast for a few days, don’t think we’ll feel well enough even if testing negative by then so will postpone it ?

idamaryrose Sat 25-Jun-22 09:11:28

Hello Pearl79, so long red beret....... ( a bit obvious) but I agree, it does have a touch of the famous blue raincoat about it. I hope people are feeling better. Sorry for the people who are up in the night unable to sleep. Recognise the comments about the tea. Normally drinking tea is something im good at so this is a shame. Anyway, another day ...

Smileless2012 Sun 26-Jun-22 10:32:21

Mr. S. and I tested positive this morning. No loss of smell or taste for us, bad cough for Mr. S., both have aching limbs and I have the mother of all headaches and aching neck but Mr. S. doesn't.

Witzend Sun 26-Jun-22 10:40:17

So sorry you are suffering, idamaryrose. ?

But on the other side, a dd (3 vaccinations and already had it mildly just after Christmas) tested positive last week. Just felt tired and ‘coldy’ but only 3 or 4 days later she tested negative, twice.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Jun-22 10:44:08

I’m on day 4 and rather think my runny nose is drying up and fever going down a bit. Still have zero energy to the extent getting upstairs is difficult. Now have stomach cramps etc.

SachaMac Sun 26-Jun-22 11:12:30

Having dodged Covid up until now I tested + this time last week, Monday & Tuesday I more or less stayed in bed. I’d describe it as like having the worst hangover with tonsillitis and an awful cold thrown in. Still feeling tired & my sense of taste & smell aren't very good. I gargled with soluble aspirin & salt water for the sore throat and just took lots of Paracetamol. I know quite a few people who have now caught it for the very first time. I suppose our immunity from vaccinations is now wearing low or could it be it’s a stronger more transmissible strain?

Saggi Sun 26-Jun-22 11:14:36

I had first dose of Covid in January …. 3 coughs and a sneeze and I was over it in four days!
I had my second dose of Covid in March ……horrendous! No headache ….but the worst sore throat ever ….sniffles not too bad….. pain in sinuses…..pain around eyes…..aches and pains …. but as I suffer from arthritis I barely noticed that….also an awful cough. I laid in bed for 6 hours only as I’m my husbands sole carer ( stroke)…so it all went on for 4/5 weeks. No peace …no rest…and no help only from a decent friend who dropped of perishables when required ….Sainsburys delivery a godsend!
Albeit I’ve been left with no sense of taste or smell…. and worse no appetite! But in the plus side I dropped from 11 st 2 lb at Xmas last to a nifty 9st 7lb today….. t try hard been great help with arthritis as well! Not a nice experience but worth it for the weight loss.
Oh and yes this all happened AFTER my 3 jabs. So my advice is …. stay in bed if you feel like it and eat when you feel like it and catch up on your reading and tv box sets. You’ve nobody to care for …so care for you….and if you don’t do online shop already . Do it now! Get well soon?

idamaryrose Sun 26-Jun-22 12:46:22

Ah, people are so nice. I am certainly lucky compared to many. It seems there are lots of different symptoms - my worst now is nausea and a horrible taste in my mouth. Orange squash manages to taste slimy as well as unpleasant!

MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Jun-22 12:58:27

I have just heard from a friend who tested positive a week ago on Friday morning after a bad night. .
She is beginning to feel better but still testing very positive.
It makes me think about all those who go by symptoms alone, or the assumption that they will be clear in a week. There is no question that people are no longer testing with the diligence they showed a few months ago and when it was compulsory.
No wonder we are seeing another wave ..

idamaryrose Sun 26-Jun-22 13:22:27

I suppose abolishing free tests is bound to mean fewer people test. I think the attitude now is that we just accept that covid exists and that we can't eradicate it. What really matters is how many people get get seriously ill or worse.

Teacheranne Sun 26-Jun-22 14:37:59

Having gone two years without catching Covid, I caught it in April this year, I did a test after waking up with a cold - I was due to visit mum in her care home so being very careful. Took two weeks to get a negative test.

Then yesterday I realised that I’ve been feeling off colour for a few days, no cold but very lethargic and an upset stomach with the runs! I was shocked to find I tested positive again, thought it was a false result so took another test today, positive again!

I’ve had three vaccinations, last one in October and am too young to have been offered one this year so I’m wondering if the immunity from my jabs has worn off? Apart from a quick 2 minute trip to shops on Tuesday, I’ve not been out for almost a week so not sure where I picked it up from.

maddyone Sun 26-Jun-22 15:11:34

I’m so sorry to hear that so many of you are suffering with this dratted disease. I hope you all feel better soon.

I’m testing regularly as I visit my elderly mother in her care home. Usually I test about twice a week now. Up to now I’ve avoided getting Covid again. I had it first before I could be vaccinated. I don’t want it again but do think I won’t be hospitalised again if I’m unlucky enough to get it.

flowers for you all, get well soon.

SunshineSally Sun 26-Jun-22 15:33:44

DH tested positive this morning - he started feeling unwell yesterday tho tested negative then but much worse today. I went to report it on the government site and it wouldn’t let me report it. Kept coming up with the message that ‘the format of this test strip ID is incorrect’! Test kit is in date so am wondering whether others have had the same issue or aren’t reporting.

rosie1959 Sun 26-Jun-22 17:10:37

SunshineSally

DH tested positive this morning - he started feeling unwell yesterday tho tested negative then but much worse today. I went to report it on the government site and it wouldn’t let me report it. Kept coming up with the message that ‘the format of this test strip ID is incorrect’! Test kit is in date so am wondering whether others have had the same issue or aren’t reporting.

Sorry your husband is feeling unwell. You haven't had to report positive cases for a while now