Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Just tested positive for Covid

(71 Posts)
idamaryrose Fri 24-Jun-22 03:47:42

Three in the morning. Can't sleep. Having been lucky enough to have avoided covid so far, despite being out and about a lot, including teaching, I now have it. Just wondered what anyone else's symptoms are. I am barely coughing but have had the worst headache I've ever had, including all around my eyes and teeth. Have also had nausea and aches. I am lucky in that I can at least just lie in bed and don't have to look after anyone else. Apologies to anyone who has truly suffered - it's just I was wondering what other people's experience is and, as I say, I can't sleep

PoppyFlower Sun 26-Jun-22 17:23:46

My sister rested positive on Tuesday, so as a direct contact I've been testing myself every day since then and reporting my, still negative results on the government website, with, to date no problem. You just need to check you've got the right sequence of numbers/letters and that you repeat the same sequence of letters/numbers. I've stumbled a couple of times when I mistyped them! ?

SunshineSally Sun 26-Jun-22 17:31:23

rosie1959

SunshineSally

DH tested positive this morning - he started feeling unwell yesterday tho tested negative then but much worse today. I went to report it on the government site and it wouldn’t let me report it. Kept coming up with the message that ‘the format of this test strip ID is incorrect’! Test kit is in date so am wondering whether others have had the same issue or aren’t reporting.

Sorry your husband is feeling unwell. You haven't had to report positive cases for a while now

Thanks rosie1959 - IMO though, if people aren’t reporting positive results then we don’t get the statistics to work out ‘Covid hotspots’ across the country.

SunshineSally Sun 26-Jun-22 17:39:01

PoppyFlower

My sister rested positive on Tuesday, so as a direct contact I've been testing myself every day since then and reporting my, still negative results on the government website, with, to date no problem. You just need to check you've got the right sequence of numbers/letters and that you repeat the same sequence of letters/numbers. I've stumbled a couple of times when I mistyped them! ?

Thanks PoppyFlower ? - I usually use my camera on my phone and it ‘picks up’ the number/QR code automatically without the need to type it in. As that didn’t work, I typed it in twice, several times. Sadly both ways didn’t work so I’ve just had to leave it. As I’ve never had that happen before I thought I’d mention it.

riete Sun 26-Jun-22 18:08:43

it seems we're probably all suffering from the policy change from "take this seriously" to "take no notice". to me it seems unfair that, having followed every rule and guidance for more than two years, we who are clinically extremely vulnerable and many likely to be more far seriously ill than average, are being hung out to dry.

and eg teacheranne: "Apart from a quick 2 minute trip to shops on Tuesday, I’ve not been out for almost a week so not sure where I picked it up from." it'll have been that 2 minute trip

riete Sun 26-Jun-22 18:33:09

so lo-ong, ida maray
but o-oh, you left your beret
behi-ind when you got up to go
i saw it the-ere, and uttered "oh, no"
i tu-urned, and looked over at you
you looked ba-ack, for a second or two
i thre-ew, but immediately knew
i'd messed up, and it wouldn't reach you
for it tu-urned into a frisbee
lande-ed five floors below me
what a sha-ame; my useless a-aim, caused you pa-ain
by the loss of your scarlet bere-et

poor i know, but maybe enough to inspire someone to do better

idamaryrose Sun 26-Jun-22 19:41:41

Riete, you are a genius.

Hey, that's no way to lose your beret

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Jun-22 20:42:52

Husband just tested positive though started with bit of sore throat Sat night. Now heavy cold, runny nose. Though I'm negative I feel pretty awful. Felt very sick last night, still nausea, bad headache, stiff neck and dry tickly throat. I think there are 2 new strains but may have heard wrong. Someone in my book group in her 80s been very unwell indeed.

idamaryrose Sun 26-Jun-22 21:02:26

Hope you feel better soon

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Jun-22 21:18:17

That's kind of you idamaryrose . I hope you're starting to feel better too.

nadateturbe Wed 17-Aug-22 09:42:29

We've been very careful but daughter visiting with grandsons has been out and about and is going to an activity centre today. They like others have gone back to "normal". In shops etc, not worrying.
What can you do? I haven't seen them for a year. And it's lovely that she has made the effort to come.
We'll just hope and pray for two weeks after they leave. I hope our vaccines are still working. ?

Granmarderby10 Wed 17-Aug-22 09:59:15

I tested positive in March and got positive results for the next 9 days. I recall the heavy headache and eye socket and face ache. A bit of a runny nose, didn’t want to eat much and a slight nausea
It was the strange heavy limbs and muscle aches that bothered me most though and moving like a turtle and half finished tasks and falling asleep. but it passed with no long term effects.
Had received all the vaccines including flu up to that point though. Feel fortunate to not lose taste and/or smell ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 17-Aug-22 10:11:42

Just a warning. I have been reading that covid knocks the immune system for 6 and this is certainly true as far as I am concerned as I’m just recovering from a 4 weeks bout of really nasty flu caught a couple of weeks after recovering from covid.

The result is bad post viral fatigue and a burst eardrum.

So I think that particularly those whose immune system isn’t good at the best of times you need to be very careful. I shall certainly mask up and avoid crowded spaces once I’m well enough to go out.

nadateturbe Wed 17-Aug-22 10:39:32

Oh dear, WWM2 that is very bad. Poor you.
I do hope I don't get it. I already have M E.

I'm glad you have no longterm effects Granmarder. Perhaps the vaccine helped.

maddyone Wed 17-Aug-22 11:10:39

I had Covid before I was able to be vaccinated and was very poorly and was hospitalised. However I think the symptoms are quite different now with the newer strains than those I suffered (which did indeed include a horrendous cough which went on for weeks despite a lot of treatment in hospital) but the weakness I suffered as I recovered does seem to still feature. It’s not an instant recovery, be prepared to feel very weakened and to need to rest a lot for at least six weeks, maybe longer.

rosie1959 Wed 17-Aug-22 11:15:35

Any effects after having Covid vary so much as well. Most of our family caught it with very mild symptoms with no after effect whatsoever and carried on as normal after negative tests

maddyone Wed 17-Aug-22 14:26:06

Whitewave sorry to hear you’re still suffering. Get well soon flowers

maddyone Wed 17-Aug-22 14:26:43

Also get well soon idamaryrose flowers

Whitewavemark2 Wed 17-Aug-22 15:00:11

maddyone

Whitewave sorry to hear you’re still suffering. Get well soon flowers

Thank you. It is taking what seems an age, but really I’m being too impatient I think. If you look at the NHS site about recovering from post viral fatigue they talk in terms of months?.

I am determined to get through it though, and to do so I simply need masses of rest snd sleep, which for me is sooo frustrating. I haven’t the strength to walk more than 100 yds yet?

I’ve just sent away for some new watercolours and brushes as this will keep me still whilst enjoying what I’m doing.

sandelf Wed 17-Aug-22 15:06:38

The Famous Blue Raincoat
It's four in the morning,the end of December
I'm writing you now just to see if you're better
New York is cold, but I like where I'm living
There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening

Oh - Wow - I'm straight back to my student house share 1971.

Ah, So long Marianne. Music and memory!!

nadateturbe Wed 17-Aug-22 16:16:37

What better way to spend your recovery time WWM2!

A favourite Cohen number, sandelf