Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Just tested positive for Covid

(70 Posts)
idamaryrose Fri 24-Jun-22 03:47:42

Three in the morning. Can't sleep. Having been lucky enough to have avoided covid so far, despite being out and about a lot, including teaching, I now have it. Just wondered what anyone else's symptoms are. I am barely coughing but have had the worst headache I've ever had, including all around my eyes and teeth. Have also had nausea and aches. I am lucky in that I can at least just lie in bed and don't have to look after anyone else. Apologies to anyone who has truly suffered - it's just I was wondering what other people's experience is and, as I say, I can't sleep

pearl79 Fri 24-Jun-22 04:07:30

Hi Ida Mary Rose.
Just a brief word to "keep you amused" at three in the morning.
I, too, managed to avoid Covid until three months ago. My cough lasted for less than 24 hours. Same with my headache. But the exhaustion, tiredness, lack of energy, muscle aches, went on for a lot longer. I have co morbidities, which obviously didn't help.
Hope your symptoms are shortlived.
Don't forget paracetamol/ibuprofen for the headache.
And more than anything, drink as much water as you can.
Wishing you sleep.

idamaryrose Fri 24-Jun-22 04:13:57

What a lovely person you are. Thank you

pearl79 Fri 24-Jun-22 05:00:06

Just wondering if you're a Leonard Cohen fan? Because if I can write this within the next three minutes I can perhaps just say,

"It's four in the morning ...

From The Famous Raincoat

I'll be back in two with the rest

pearl79 Fri 24-Jun-22 05:10:07

The Famous Blue Raincoat
It's four in the morning,the end of December
I'm writing you now just to see if you're better
New York is cold, but I like where I'm living
There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening

So that was ten, not two. And this snipped will just have to do, because the site wouldn't let me copy so I've typed it ...

vegansrock Fri 24-Jun-22 05:20:17

I have had it twice. Second time a couple of weeks ago - sore throat, headache, runny nose, cough, aches and pains - the lot. The first time lasted 3 weeks, the second lasted less than a week, though I felt extra tired afterwards. Stock up on lemsips, soup, read, listen to the radio, catch up on some rubbish TV, potter around the garden a bit, whatever you feel like doing.

BlueBelle Fri 24-Jun-22 06:05:35

I avoided it completely until 3 months ago and had it for my birthday ? I wasn’t that ill just mopey, dopey and coughing for a few days nothing worse than a cold…. if it hadn’t have been for testing I would have thought I d got a flu cold and carried on I tested positive for 14 days

One grandaughter has just had it for the third time and her cat has it too

idamaryrose Fri 24-Jun-22 06:11:46

Love Leonard. Perhaps I can spend my time looking up Leonard Cohen lyrics. Saw him play twice, once at the Albert Hall and once at the NEC. Years ago. It was wonderful.

pearl79 Fri 24-Jun-22 06:21:35

Ooh, I also saw him at the Royal Albert Hall. Might we have crossed paths? He was absolutely brilliant and I loved every second.
I wish I'd thought of looking up lyrics while I was feeling rotten. Might have made the time a little better. Not so good for those around me, as I'd have been singing throughout!

idamaryrose Fri 24-Jun-22 06:47:18

We were sitting quite high up. There was a nice woman next to me who was wearing a red beret - I hope it wasn't you. At the end of the concert she left before me and had reached the end of the row when I saw the red beret had beenblft behind. Trying to be helpful, I picked it up and threw it at her. I am not very good at throwing, but the beret's shape meant it acted like a frisbee and it sailed almost in slow motion over the railings to the ground below. She looked at me in disbelief - it really did look as if i had deliberately chucked her red beret away. Not sure if she got it back.

Knittynatter Fri 24-Jun-22 06:54:21

Good morning! I tested positive on Sunday. First couple of days aching and shivering and sleeping a lot. Tuesday felt like I was improving then Tuesday night/ Wednesday had a terrible time with d&v despite not having eaten! I only started with a cough yesterday. I have all my windows open as much as possible to keep the air circulating.
Hope you feel better soon!

Sara1954 Fri 24-Jun-22 06:56:14

I avoided it till a couple of weeks ago, I didn’t feel great, it was like the worst dose of hay fever, and I had a job to keep awake.
I wouldn’t have thought about testing, but one of my colleagues tested positive, so I thought I should.
I had a nasty cough which took a while to clear up, other than that, all back to normal within a week.
I just feel grateful to have got it now, a couple of years ago it might have killed me.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jun-22 06:57:41

I tested positive this week. Felt ill Wednesday afternoon. Still have a temperature and cough and exhaustion.

DH also tested positive - symptoms - none??

pearl79 Fri 24-Jun-22 07:07:43

No Ida Mary Rose, that wasn't me with the red beret, although we were up in "The Gods".

Nannytopsy Fri 24-Jun-22 07:13:39

We had it a couple of months ago and the tiredness, aches and fatigue were the main symptoms. They indicate Omicron, I gather. DH had a stomach upset too.
I hope you feel very much better soon.

Galaxy Fri 24-Jun-22 07:34:08

Have it at the moment, slight blocked nose, utterly tired and feel a bit sick. This is my 3rd day.

Nandalot Fri 24-Jun-22 08:16:40

We were at an NEC concert too. Absolutely brilliant. He really seemed happy to be there unlike when we saw Dylan who couldn’t get off the stage quick enough.
Hope you feel better soon. flowers

Iam64 Fri 24-Jun-22 08:20:57

So many friends who avoided it now have covid. I’m still covid free but recently spending huge amounts of time in busy hospitals makes me feel it’s inevitable I’ll get it.
Get well soon everyone

Leonard Cohen ideal background music (for anything). I saw him in 1978 Apollo, Manchester ??

Liz46 Fri 24-Jun-22 08:34:58

I was CEV and was very careful to avoid catching covid but my husband brought it home in March. I had had three jabs so maybe that helped but I wasn't too bad. I sat up in bed for a few days to try and keep my lungs clear (bronchiectasis etc.) but didn't need the AB that the GP had given me in case I needed them.

Mollygo Fri 24-Jun-22 09:05:36

idamaryrose, I hope you feel better soon. We had it whilst on our not-holiday so had to isolate. I was OK and DH had a cough for 3-4 days. If we hadn’t been tested I wouldn’t have thought about Covid. When we got home I found I tired easily and when I wasn’t at work, if I sat down with a cup of tea I fell asleep. That’s only just easing off now, 2months later.

Newquay Fri 24-Jun-22 09:22:31

I tested positive week last Saturday-DH still
Negative but showing all the symptoms-head cold, cough, tiredness, upset stomach. As he also suffers frequent UTIs we are officially and thoroughly fed up!!

JackyB Fri 24-Jun-22 09:42:46

I've been lacklustre all week and slept most of the time. Sore throat and headache but nothing serious. Tests have been negative.

But everyone seems to be getting it now - the figures are shooting up again even though most of the testing stations have closed down (I live in Germany) so probably less tests are being done and certainly reported, and people are going out and about unaware that they have it instead of distancing and quarantining.

It feels as if the pandemic is just really getting going.

Having said that, they say that vaccination PLUS immunity through having caught Covid is the best defence, so perhaps catching a mild dose isn't really a problem, as long as you're otherwise fit.

henetha Fri 24-Jun-22 09:46:39

Get well soon, all of you with Covid. I hope you all bounce back very soon flowers.
I feel almost guilty that I haven't had it yet. Surely I will now I'm mingling again.. confused

luluaugust Fri 24-Jun-22 09:46:49

Having avoided it all these years tested positive on Tuesday. Had to stay in bed yesterday as temperature was making me feel sick if i stood up. Sore throat and headache and strange aches and pains. Just taking it very quietly for now. Best wishes to all

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jun-22 13:26:51

DH just brought in some sweet peas from the garden for me.

I couldn’t smell a thing?

I can taste though - a cup of tea, tastes different but still tastes.