Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

first grandson lives abroad

(31 Posts)
xxxxxQRL Thu 22-Sep-22 16:29:58

Our son and DIL live on the opposite side of the world to us and have just had a baby boy who we will only see once a year (We will be visiting them in November) This is our first grandchild and as we're completely new to this we welcome any ideas and suggestions on how to connect with him!. Thanks in anticipation.......

aislingwhite Sun 26-Mar-23 19:10:07

Hi NannyB2604 thanks for the advice, much appreciated. So pleased to hear that you've been able to develop a lovely relationship with your Grandaughter.

Allsorts Sun 26-Mar-23 19:19:48

At least there’s face time now and better communication. It can’t be the same relationship as having grandchildren near bye but it can still be a good one, just make the most of visits and FaceTiming.

HomeAgain123 Thu 06-Apr-23 18:17:01

I’m struggling as both my son and DIL work full time granddaughter has full time made …. I know weekends are precious but my son ( youngest ) has always been a bad keeping in touch person ( all been expats ) I’m with them now and sad how much other grandparents FaceTime and I’ve to book it in week advance …… my son is very ‘catty ‘ about his sisters children who live 5 mins from me ….. I’m sinking 🙈🙈🙈

CanadianGran Thu 06-Apr-23 19:13:15

My daughter lives 500 mi away; not across the world like yours, but still a distance. We are lucky to be able to see them about 3 times a year.

Facetime or similar will be your savior. As tiny babies, I did all the silly goo-goo baby talk, peek a boo, etc, while my patient daughter held the phone in front of little ones! The boys are 7 and 4 now, and they know us and love us, even though we are not a part of their daily lives.

We have always sent little parcels, even though the price of the postage is more than the goods, but even a package of Smarties from Granny and Grampa for loosing a tooth is special to them and keeps us connected, and makes them feel special to get their own mail. You will find your own little ways to stay connected.

A friend of mine bought a few puppets, who would appear on her facetime visits with her distant GC's, and like others here, bought double versions of books so they can read at the same time.

Congratulations!

Kim19 Thu 06-Apr-23 19:16:51

Hearty congratulations on the new grandchild 👍🌷. Wonderful.