Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

words that grandchildren mispronounce

(160 Posts)
HowVeryDareYou Mon 03-Oct-22 21:51:08

Isn't it endearing when grandchildren get words mixed up or mispronounce things? Our granddaughter (8, the other day) is bright, funny, clever, etc., but can't say "Chimpanzee". She calls it Chinzambee grin. We laughed (even though it was her birthday) but she didn't seem to mind.

SunshineSally Tue 04-Oct-22 09:50:55

My DGD aged 5 can’t pronounce her ‘r’s’ - so am called ‘Gwanma’

Thinking of my AC now, my eldest DS called windows ‘do-dows’ and couldn’t say ‘triangle’ - he called it a ‘tung-a-dardle’ and my DD called pansies ‘panties’. Wonderful to think back and remember, always makes me smile.

Grannybags Tue 04-Oct-22 09:54:33

We eat fatsumas (satsumas) and put the radigators on when we're cold

Witzend Tue 04-Oct-22 10:07:29

Not a mispronunciation, but dd2 would announce that she was ‘stuffed to the highest heaven’ when she’d had enough to eat.

My younger brother was a voracious reader from a very early age and would often mispronounce words he’d read and understood from the context, but hadn’t heard spoken.

A family favourite was Gribble-ater (as in The Rock Of…) - we still say that.
Another was ‘denny’- as he once said to me, ‘I know it was you, so you needn’t denny it!’

annsixty Tue 04-Oct-22 10:29:04

Not a GC but an 81 year old friend who among other mispronunciations uses a lot of balsamatic vinegar.

Yammy Tue 04-Oct-22 10:34:41

DD always called Bob Crachet in "A Christmas Carol",Pork Scratchings".
We never noticed but she went crazy aged about 22 when she realised, for us letting her say it. The family now does it every Christmas.grin

Grandma70s Tue 04-Oct-22 10:38:22

On of my aunts, when a small child, had a friend apparently called Jumping Nellie. She turned out to be Joan Pengelly,

luluaugust Tue 04-Oct-22 10:43:17

When our DD was small she enjoyed pimnics in the Summer

HowVeryDareYou Tue 04-Oct-22 12:16:07

Love these! My youngest son used to call the dustbin men "Bick-bick mans" when he was about 2

krazykat Tue 04-Oct-22 12:31:34

My grandson then about 2 years old kept asking for a purple to eat, in the end I had to ask him to show me and he got an apple from the fridge

Kalu Tue 04-Oct-22 12:33:57

GD’s nursery teacher was Mrs. Meringue - Mrs Moran
DD1. Mamblay - Marmalade
DD2’s was a shocker when she asked the waiter for F..ks Bizz!
DD2, again singing a song from the film Grease - Look at me I’m Sandra Dee, lousy whisper ginitee. I can’t even remember the correct words now.
Another boozy one from DD2. We were having a gin and bitter lemon, when I asked for more bitter lemon, DD tan into the kitchen and returned with - a bit of lemon.

MissAdventure Tue 04-Oct-22 12:44:32

My daughter made a best friend at school, called 'HappyGal'. (Abigail)

Elless Tue 04-Oct-22 12:45:41

When one of my son's was three he knocked his front teeth out and at his nursery the head teacher was called Mr Tucker, you can imagine what my son used to call him ? He also had a foldaway construction site toy which he used to call his 'confruction shite' ??

Kalu Tue 04-Oct-22 12:47:03

Just remembered the words to the song - lousy with virginity!
She couldn’t understand why her older sister was rolling on the floor laughing. ?

Esspee Tue 04-Oct-22 12:48:34

At the age of 3 our youngest grandson managed to read Kenfucky Fried Chicken on a billboard. ?

MissAdventure Tue 04-Oct-22 12:50:01

grin

Nannagarra Tue 04-Oct-22 13:41:38

Seen in the garage yesterday - the mawn lower next to the paddlington pool.

TwiceAsNice Tue 04-Oct-22 14:59:22

Aminals for animals we still say it

Ducks were “cak caks

I was Raggy instead of Granny

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 15:01:10

Esspee

At the age of 3 our youngest grandson managed to read Kenfucky Fried Chicken on a billboard. ?

???

Witzend Tue 04-Oct-22 15:12:23

I really liked the Fuchsia Fairy in my Flower Fairies book - and thought it was pronounced Fucksia- until I was hastily corrected!

Dd2 when very tiny often used to ask for an ‘odgy-one’ (orange)

Trixi Tue 04-Oct-22 15:18:04

Heffalump!

NotSpaghetti Tue 04-Oct-22 15:35:51

In the local pond ??=f***s

grandtanteJE65 Tue 04-Oct-22 15:53:42

gorange for orange, both the fruit and the colour, said first by one of DH's nieces. Ooshur instead of sugar, said by a cousin of my father's - the word was still in joking use between them when they were both in their seventies.

Flutterby - butterfly, not sure where it came from. Pussywuss, or wussycat - me as a three year old.

PinkCosmos Tue 04-Oct-22 16:00:53

A bit off topic. My DS was outside in the garden in the cold. I said he should put his coat on or he would get pneumonia.

He said, Why won't I get old monia'

Yammy Tue 04-Oct-22 16:08:03

My DH when little thought there was an animal called an eliphano, he asked lots of questions and his mother's reply had been "Hell if I know".

Gransey Tue 04-Oct-22 16:47:29

Fandindos for flamingos on her umbrella, my granddaughter at almost 2.
My grandson had his first taste of melonade on holiday.
My sister was born when I was 21 months old and I couldn’t say Elizabeth so she became “Little bits” for a number of years.