Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

words that grandchildren mispronounce

(160 Posts)
HowVeryDareYou Mon 03-Oct-22 21:51:08

Isn't it endearing when grandchildren get words mixed up or mispronounce things? Our granddaughter (8, the other day) is bright, funny, clever, etc., but can't say "Chimpanzee". She calls it Chinzambee grin. We laughed (even though it was her birthday) but she didn't seem to mind.

NannyPT Fri 07-Oct-22 17:33:43

Many years ago when my nephew was about 2 years old for biscuits he used to say "big tits", it still makes me smile!

Nvella Fri 07-Oct-22 20:46:51

My granddaughter loved my “lamb stew and ducklings”!

Grams2five Sun 09-Oct-22 05:49:58

Our youngest grandson insists on calling breakfast “brisket” and I’ll admit I’ll be so sad when he figures it out !

tapestryfrog Tue 11-Apr-23 23:06:13

DD back in the day - accidident - I think it was cross between it was an accident and I didn't mean to do it!

honeyrose Wed 12-Apr-23 08:51:08

My granddaughter sings “we all live in a yellow sumparine” instead of submarine. Bless her!

Ali08 Mon 17-Apr-23 20:17:02

DD referred to a picture gifted to us as 'Bang-Bang Pete' for penguin Pete.
DGD called it a fosa and she was nearly right, it was a sofa.
DS asked me could we watch 'Steer of Eeches' as he'd seen part of it as he went to the bathroom. Took me some days to work out it was 'Stir of Echoes' with Kevin Bacon.
'Dignosis Murder' & 'Jamwar' (grandma) also from DS.

ginny Mon 17-Apr-23 20:25:30

Nearly 2 year old at Easter.
Bot bot bum plesh “.

agnurse Mon 17-Apr-23 21:34:39

When my stepdaughter was little, she used to call broccoli brocklee.

One time she asked if I would mind if she brought home a Wuzzkin. It took a bit of time to determine that what she actually meant was a Webkinz. (Webkinz were stuffed animals that had an attached tag with a code. Children could enter the code onto the Webkinz web site and get a digital version of their stuffed animal that they could play with online. Stepdaughter did, in fact, bring home a couple of Webkinz and played with them digitally.)

paddyann54 Mon 17-Apr-23 22:01:05

My son like strangled eggs for breakfast and imilade while reading a mazazine ..we still call them strangled eggs and he'll be 35 at the weekend .
He would also play with his lego as long as he had the constructions which is another one we still use ,much better than ordinary instructions