Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Help, how do I stop crying when DGK emigrate next week.

(39 Posts)
Suieww Thu 01-Dec-22 12:48:26

My DD SIL and 2 beautiful grandkids emigrate next week. It's been incredibly hard knowing they are going and saying goodbye is going be even harder. I don't want their last memories of me to be a blubbering mess. Just need to keep the lid on it until they are out of sight and then I can sob my heart out. I would be so grateful if anyone out there has any tips.

MarySa Wed 28-Dec-22 16:30:15

I feel for you. I have a son in NZ. He has been there for about 20 years. He doesn't have children. I miss him very much but it does get easier.

Philippa60 Thu 29-Dec-22 15:41:09

Smileless 2012, our DS and family are moving to Perth WA too!

Suieww Thu 29-Dec-22 16:49:48

Well my lovely Gransnet friends, thank you all for your messages. DD found a beautiful house to rent 1 week before then went and a job 3 weeks before they went in mid December. Nothing like leaving it until the last moment is there. I think i did my reacting before they went having had 2 years to get my head around it. Now they are there I feel fine. like a few of you said 'look forward to a holiday there' I didn't want to do that before but now we are planning to visit in 2023. Never in a month of Sundays did I expect to turn my emotions round so very quickly and want to do that very long trip to Australia, but I realise how lovely it is having something to look forward too, I love planning trips, I'm researching flights and DD is going to find us a place to rent by the beach. If you felt as desperate as I did, don't give up. You have all inspired me with your messages. So thank you once again. Happy Grannying and calm 2023.

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Dec-22 17:10:46

Suieww

However, I shall be a blubbering mess this weekend when we take DD back to the airport.
In fact, reading this thread has started me off already.

Remember - It's Au Revoir, not goodbye.

Suieww Thu 29-Dec-22 19:11:37

Oh Callistamon, my heart goes out to you. Really there are no words are there. Just sending you a big fat hug. Xxx

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Dec-22 19:49:37

Suieww

Oh Callistamon, my heart goes out to you. Really there are no words are there. Just sending you a big fat hug. Xxx

And you, Suiww

First tip - Start planning your trip 🙂

Sammz21 Thu 29-Dec-22 20:19:30

Hi Suieww,
I just though I'd add my thoughts from a different perspective.
I moved to NZ with my 2 daughters 17 years ago.
My mum visited most years for a month/6 weeks at a time
and the girls got to know her really well and enjoyed her visits.
So, embrace the opportunity would be my advice x

Chardy Thu 29-Dec-22 22:25:09

A friend of mine in her 70s is currently in Aus visiting her pre-school grandchildren. This time she's staying a couple of months (a little longer than her usual 6 weeks).
I think she said she rents somewhere nearby for part of the time, so they can come to her or even sleepover.

Kalu Thu 29-Dec-22 23:47:17

So pleased to hear you sounding so much lighter than you ever imagined you could be Suei. Time flies by so quickly and before you know it there will be cuddles and tears when they meet you at the airport. It’s a terrific feeling.

Oh, I do feel for you Calli this is the hard part. I often wonder if our girls should meet up in their part of Aus., one thing they
would have in common being their Mums are Gnetters. 😂

Callistemon21 Sat 31-Dec-22 13:29:02

That would be a good idea, Kalu!

I sometimes wonder if they have and we don't know? 😁

PamelaJ1 Sat 31-Dec-22 14:13:25

Glad it went as well as it did.
It’s always hard. We are off in a couple of weeks to visit our DD and family in Sydney.
So looking forward to getting there, NOT the travelling but the arriving.
Then I will be goodbye again a few weeks later.
It’s always hard but doesn’t last long.

NannySuelion Thu 02-Mar-23 11:40:16

Hi
I’m finding it hard to cope, son travelled, met his now Aussie Wife and has been 10 years now living in Oz. Granddaughter arrived, 3 in July, they made in over last year after pandemic rules. Christmas found out another little one on way due Aug.
I am a carer to my profoundly deaf husband, who won’t go to Oz (flight). My son has asked me to be part of new babies arrival in Aug. How do I go on my own and leave husband who cannot hear anything without aids!
After FaceTimes I always cry and since hearing the news of new baby have cried more and more!
Anyone else in the same situation?

V3ra Thu 02-Mar-23 12:03:40

Nannysuelion how would your husband cope if you were in hospital, or no longer around for whatever reason?
I'd suggest this is a good opportunity to prompt you to look into some support options for him anyway.