Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Toddler bed for 10 month old

(30 Posts)
JaydeeTas Sat 04-Feb-23 06:02:41

Hi all,

My DIL has let me know they are moving my GS into a toddler bed. He is currently 10 months old

They have a plan for bed rails so it's not the falling out of bed that really concerns me.. I am more worried about furniture that he could pull onto himself such shelving that has his teddy bears.
What do I do??? I'm scared to do nothing. They haven't got anything bolted to the wall..

BlueBelle Tue 25-Apr-23 07:34:49

No Jennifereccles depends on the baby much safer to have them in a little bed than climbing and falling
My son was up and walking just after 8 months and was a climber I had a least three of my grandkids who used to escape the cots I m sure this mum knows her child

Caramme Tue 25-Apr-23 09:32:56

My son was in a bed at 10 months, he was walking and had already managed to clamber out of his cot and into his sister’s room. We made the bed like an apple pie bed so he couldn’t slip down too far and laid pillows on the floor beside him. We made sure the stairs were protected by a high safety gate. We also put his bed in my daughter’s room. She is 18 months older than him and never slept through the night. From that moment on they both slept through, in their own beds and my ex and I both got the first full night’s rest in more than two years.

paddyann54 Tue 25-Apr-23 10:42:14

Mine went into ordinary single beds as soon as they could climb out of their cots ,never had any problems with beds ,My daughter didn't sleep through the night until she started school but if she woke she stayed in bed and looked through books ,we never had them in our bed .
We didn't have stair gates either on the advice of my lovely GP who was mother of 4 teenagers then .
She said " when will you feel safe to take a gate away ,when she's 4 or 5? Surely better just to teach her to go down stairs on her bottom and climb them holding onto the rail"

She was absolutely right ,my first GC was great with stairs until he discovered it was more fun sliding down on his front ,we put a wee crash helmet on him...lol.He was 20 last week .
I have said on here before that I am a very chilled person so that probably helped .

Nannashirlz Wed 17-May-23 11:49:10

Do you know how low these beds are they are practically on the floor I had one for my granddaughter when she was little and sleeping at my house we had big floor cushions down until we found she didn’t need.