Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Anxiety before looking after my grandchildren

(5 Posts)
Lynnypie Thu 09-Feb-23 20:11:22

Why do I get so anxious whilst looking after my two grandchildren? I get so worried about what ifs!

Redhead56 Thu 09-Feb-23 20:19:47

It’s perfectly natural as they are in your care and not your children. It doesn’t help that everything is done different now compared to when we brought our children up.
Try to plan what you will do when you have your GC keep them occupied and you will be fine. You will probably find when you finely relax you and the GC will enjoy each others company.

lixy Thu 09-Feb-23 20:29:07

I do too. I worry far more about looking after the GC than I ever did about their parents!

I have been fortunate that we have had just a few minor mishaps and all parents have been understanding and even amused by the predicaments. GC like coming to our house because we can focus on them rather than trying to do the household chores at the same time.

I do find it helps to have a plan as Redhead says and a routine. I also have some time during the day when they amuse themselves - I have a coffee and 'do the crossword' - just for a few minutes, but it gives us all a break.
Good luck!

Katyj Thu 09-Feb-23 20:50:05

Oh yes me too. I seem to calm down once they get here thank goodness, although if we’re taking them out ,the anxiety starts again, I don’t like driving them around, in case we have an accident so tend not to go far.
AC don’t understand this at all, but I think it’s just that we’re not their parents and it’s a lot of responsibility. Is there anything your especially worried about ?

Deedaa Thu 09-Feb-23 21:03:00

I always had "What on earth would I say to their parents?" in the back of my mind when my GS's were little. Now they're pretty much self sufficient I'm not so bothered.