Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Welcome to new members

(944 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 16-Sep-15 14:24:57

If you're new to Gransnet please do make yourself a brew and come introduce yourself on this thread. Hope you enjoy chatting in the forums and that you find it useful, informative, supportive and entertaining. smile

shysal Tue 24-Nov-15 16:43:56

Welcome lynneg, well spotted, but you are in the right place in this instance. It is common for newbies not to notice that a thread is old, which can sometimes cause confusion smile. The 'active' or 'last day' buttons above are the best place to view current threads. I look forward to reading your future contributions. flowers

Nannystar Tue 24-Nov-15 17:38:59

Completed my first post today so this is my second. Called Nanny Star after my cat Star whose name is the first initials of my 4 youngest GCs - could have been much worse! My mum was called Nanny Bad Eye but it got better so the kids now call her Nanny bad Leg - she's 93 so doesn't mind too much.

JoyBloggs Tue 24-Nov-15 21:43:24

Hello Nannystar, lovely name and glad you didn't decide on Nannyrats!

shysal Wed 25-Nov-15 05:38:49

Welcome Nannystar. My mum and MIL were known as Nanny Pig and Nanny Cat by my daughters, after the animals they kept. I look forward to reading your third post and beyond. flowers

Cath9 Wed 25-Nov-15 14:42:52

I started yesterday as I have a son who lives in NZ with his family.
For the second year I am again finding it difficult to find various items in NZ as to post them from the UK is so expensive. So wondered what others in a similar position did and came across this website.

Cath

kittylester Wed 25-Nov-15 14:48:45

Hi, Cath and welcome! brew

Why don't you start a thread about your present dilemma? I'm sure you will get loads of ideas. People probably won't read your query on here but will notice a thread with that in the title. Go for it!

shysal Wed 25-Nov-15 16:28:24

Hello Cath9, welcome! I used to set up Amazon gift vouchers for relatives in Australia, so they chose presents for their children and added the gift tags I enclosed with their Christmas cards, or one year I photographed signed tags and emailed them. I assume Amazon operate in NZ too.
Enjoy Gransnet. sunshine

rosequartz Wed 25-Nov-15 19:13:07

Cath9
Many of mine are in Australia. Every year I say I will just send money (deposit it into their accounts) but then I think that is so boring so I buy presents - as light as possible.
When I get to the Post Office I always have a shock, but think that it's only once a year, apart from DGS's birthday.

DD recommended buying from the internet over there, but in fact I have found it cheaper sometimes to buy here and post them. Everything is so expensive over there, despite the exchange rate being better now.

Amazon don't have an Australian or NZ site, they can be ordered but are sent from America so postage could be high, unless it has changed now. I did find a jewellers in Australia that is cheaper than the UK equivalent and will package presents and send them very speedily. They are brilliant.

shysal that's a good idea re the gift tags.

Nannystar Wed 25-Nov-15 20:19:20

Thank you for the kind welcome. Hope my future posts are more interesting than my Twitter attempts. My first tweet was "made a jelly" and my second was "made another jelly". Will try to do better here grin

hildajenniJ Wed 25-Nov-15 20:28:33

Hello Nannystar and Cath9. Welcome aboard. Have fun, Gransnet is very addictive and a great way to waste time spend a few minutes.

Bellanonna Wed 25-Nov-15 22:05:03

nannystar and Cath9, welcome. Hope we hear from you on the various threads

shysal Thu 26-Nov-15 07:26:52

Nannystar, anything involving food is popular on here, so jelly is of interest to us! grin

I have joined Twitter, but never tweeted! blush

Jayh Thu 26-Nov-15 22:26:04

Hi Gnetters. I have recently joined and have been busy reading through the threads that interest me. I might even contribute if I can think of something intelligent to say. ? I am going to enjoy this site very much.

shysal Fri 27-Nov-15 11:08:11

Hi jayh, welcome! You don't have to find something intelligent to say. If that was the case, then I would have been booted off right from the start!
I hope that you will enjoy GN as much as I do, as long as you don't mind being addicted! smile

Crispy123 Fri 27-Nov-15 11:35:09

Hello to all of you too. I am new to Gransnet and only became aware of it when searching for advice on daughters in law. I am called Nainie (Nain is Welsh for Gran but Nainie sounds a bit softer) and always called my Grandmothers Nainie.

glassortwo Fri 27-Nov-15 13:12:01

Nannystar beware there are a few on here
(I wont mention any names grin ) that have a liking for vodka jelly.

shysal Fri 27-Nov-15 15:30:10

Hello Crispy123, welcome flowers. You will find plenty of threads on here about daughters-in-law! I hope you will enjoy the information, advice, discussions and fun.

f77ms Fri 15-Jan-16 18:56:34

My grandchildren all call me Nana Fay , no one ever suggested this they decided by themselves . I quite like it !

HannahLoisLuke Sat 16-Jan-16 18:22:06

My grandchildren are all grownup now but they've always called me Tatty, now their girlfriends/boyfriends do too

Maggieanne Sat 16-Jan-16 19:41:50

Hi, I'm new to Gransnet. I like your comments on names for grandmothers. My son surprised us when he and his partner told us they were having a baby. He was never keen before. It seems though that in his partners' country, she's is Danish, they have very specific names for each granny, so we don't actually decide which name to choose, slightly complicated by the fact that there is a step-granny as well.

Willow500 Sun 17-Jan-16 07:00:57

Hi I joined here some months ago then forgot what it was and kept deleting the e-mails thinking it was spam grin I'm so glad I finally had a look one night wondering what graSsnet really was! I've only just seen this thread though so have been posting on other ones for some weeks now. When my first granddaughter was born 18 years ago as her only (in contact) grandma I became Nana which was what my own sons called their grandmothers. My husband wanted to be called Grandpa but when she started to talk she couldn't say that so started calling him Papa - and so he's remained through the subsequent other 3 grandchildren. It was his birthday a couple of weeks ago and my son tried to get our 2 year old grandson to say Happy Birthday Papa on video from NZ. The result is hilarious as he says HB to everything in the room including the cat but not to Papa grin

shysal Sun 17-Jan-16 07:02:02

Welcome f77ms, HannahLoisLuke and maggieanne. I hope you will enjoy Gransnet as much as I do, but be prepared to waste enjoy lots of time on here. flowers

shysal Sun 17-Jan-16 07:15:20

Hi Willow, just missed your post before finishing mine! It sounds like you enjoy your grandchildren , even at a distance. Welcome, hope you continue to get pleasure from GN. flowers

Imperfect27 Sun 17-Jan-16 07:41:21

I missed this thread when I joined in early January, but have been made to feel very welcome here. I am still finding my way around and have posted on the wrong thread at least once already, but seems par for the course smile.

In years past I had always expected to have the title 'nanny' as / when / if I became a grandparent. My own mother was a very beloved nanny. However DD's MIL is already established as nanny to three other GC, all local to her and my DD - I live 62 miles way. I didn't feel I could distinguish with nanny-Jan as we are both Jans, or nanny seaside as we both live by the sea. I was actually really upset - out of all proportion - for a while. Then the 'fun button' flicked on . Should I be ...
nanny wine wine (makes nannies as well as mummies clever!)
nanny chocolate
nanny teach
nanny cat
nanny farm

I decided in the end to depart from 'nanny' altogether and reconciled myself to being 'granny' short term, but I intend to adopt whatever reasonable attempt my first GC makes upon my name - in about 2 years time !!! Any subsequent GC will have to live with it ... it will probably be 'Gaga' which would be pretty appropriate!smile.

Gagagran Sun 17-Jan-16 08:36:54

It would be an excellent choice Imperfect! grin