Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Regular grandchild-minding

(96 Posts)
jackypat Sun 05-Feb-17 10:41:12

Hi there, am wondering what others in my position feel about this. I have been retired for 4 years. The first two years were spent caring for my M in L who thankfully got through breast cancer and is now able to care for herself ( not alone, F in L still there with her). I then had a year relatively free to begin to enjoy retirement. Then daughter got married and had a baby, she is living far from friends and has relied on me heavily though these first 10 months. It is a 40 mile round trip and I have been going over at least twice a week, sometimes more. She now has to return to work and the nursery costs are huge. Child minders costs are less but she can only get two days. So she has decided to have two days child minder, one day nursery and has asked me to cover the other two days - Tuesday and Thursday
I really want to help out but it is a huge commitment, the journey alone is horrendous. A seriously congested A road, a motorway and then a One track lane for two miles. On a good day in the rush hour it takes 45 minutes. On a bad day up to an hour and a half. I would have to leave my house at 7am to get to hers by 8. Since agreeing to do this I am getting anxious and emotional about it. The cost of diesel, driving tired in heavy rush hour traffic, leaving my dogs at home etc. Am I bad for feeling guilty about these feelings? Anyone else have to do this too?

Kim19 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:49:29

Jackypat, I think your own vibes are telling you what you want/ought to do. Try NOT to feel badly. Your daughter will find alternatives and will be all the stronger for having done so. I've had similar difficult decisions to make in the past. Guess most of us have. It's often just 'life'. Another thought is that you can see how things go and then perhaps amend your decision. Just don't let your daughter know this is on the cards. Another subscriber suggested the compromise of 1 day. Might be the answer but is still a huge commitment. These adult children dilemmas never go away do they? The high cost of loving, yet again...... Good luck!

Funnygran Mon 06-Feb-17 11:50:04

We all want to help our children if we can and I do one day a week for three school age grand-children. Next September I have agreed to have another one, a pre-schooler in the spirit of 'if I've helped one I must help them all'. I do enjoy it and hope we have built up lovely relationships with them all. However, the two families live within 20 minutes of me and are dropped off at the house since DD passes on the way to work. So jackypat I think this is a big ask considering the travelling involved especially as you will be doing it on two separate days. I would say that you should discuss this carefully with your daughter before agreeing on anything. As others have commented, it is pretty tiring taking on small children again whatever your age!

Lewlew Mon 06-Feb-17 12:12:27

alC and others, that recommend overnight. It sounds sensible with the distance involved. Maybe you need to talk about it. Younger people can commute or handle long distances without a second thought. Besides, an overnighter gives mum a free evening as well!

I am thinking we will be doing overnight some time in the future if DIL and DSS want to go overnight themselves for a break for the two of them.

Just have to figure out where to put the travel cot. She naps in our room now, but I'd probably have to put it in the lounge (it's huge) as our other bedroom has a lot of glass and a door to the garden.

SussexGirl60 Mon 06-Feb-17 12:15:50

This is such a dilemma and although distance means I'm not in this situation, if I was, and was asked, to be honest, I'd feel resentful of giving the time. And then guilty that I felt this way. The thing is, I've worked almost solid since I was sixteen and altered my job to fit round the kids when they were young. We were hard up but just learnt to manage. We had lots of happy times. Now, I feel is time for me, whereas my grown up children seem to have had a very comfortable lifestyle for so many years with lots of holidays, a great social life, and still want it all even whilst bringing up the family. I have no answers for you but at least you've given me the chance to sound off! All I can say is we're all different but if you only want to do one day, or none, I would say so. Your daughter will find a way round it, I'm sure. Good luck!

NonnaW Mon 06-Feb-17 12:30:26

Difficult situation, especially as you have dogs to consider too. We look after GS one day a week at his house, meaning we leave home at 6.30 to get there in time for DSD to get to work. It takes us anywhere from 45 mins to an hour depending on traffic and we have to take our two dogs with us. I'm lucky in that DH does the driving, we love spending time with him but juggling him and the dogs is stressful at times (keeping them separate). If you can stay over ne take your dogs that would be on solution. Good luck whatever you decide,

Victoria08 Mon 06-Feb-17 12:43:57

At the age of 70, my daughter got a part time job working for three long days per week.

She wanted me to look after Gs, who is now a 16month old toddler for one day a week. The rest of days he went to nursery and childminder.

I gave it a try because I felt guilty saying no, but I found it absolutely exhausting.
Having forgotten what it was like changing nappies, feeding, etc.
I was so tired that I felt physically ill and I don't like feeling that way.
We compromised and I agreed to have him every other week.
Bearing in mind that it was a ten hour day from start to finish.

Even now, just looking after him for a few hours it saps me.
On the other hand, they do bring a lot of laughter and happiness.

But think carefully about a long term commitment. Ten years ago, it wouldn't have been a problem for me, but as we age, we have to look after our health.

Katekeeprunning Mon 06-Feb-17 12:55:07

I think Cherrytree59 has the right solution. Your daughter bring the child to you the previous night and you can mind them at your own house.

Or maybe take it week about - you go to her one week and she brings DGC to you the other week. She will then see what the traffic etc.. is like.

Good luck

Shortbread Mon 06-Feb-17 13:11:16

We look after our year old GS 1 day a week. Collecting him at 8.30 and taking home at 5.30. DH husband share the care and we are both shattered by the evening. I am having to go into hospital and DD will have to make other arrangements for 6 weeks. Emergency or occasional help is one thing but expecting is another. This generation seem to believe that GP should take their share of childcare. They have far more disposable income than we had and expect so much more. I think you should consider the cost to you on petrol, wear and tear on car as well as your own health and freedom. Maybe you could offer to contribute to her local child care.
Don't feel guilty, DD doesn't for asking. I expect you have worked hard for retirement - enjoy it.
Hope it works out
Shortbread

Lewlew Mon 06-Feb-17 13:20:18

I would find it hard as Victoria08 said if I didn't have my husband to help. As a team we can do this easily... on my own I think I would find it tiring as well.

Luckygirl Mon 06-Feb-17 13:26:55

Regarding holidays....we still take advantage of cheap term time holidays even though we have a GC (two different ones) two days a week. We try and arrange the hols early in the year and let our DD know straight away so that she can make alternative arrangements. She and her OH are perfectly happy about this - they just add another child minder day for that week or enlist the help of friends. They are very clear that we should not miss the opportunity to go away because of our childminding commitments.

I do think you need a serious chat with your DD that sets the ground rules - how many days, where they should be cared for, how to share the driving, holidays etc. It avoids future bad feeling or misunderstandings.

In fact we are sometimes flexible with them and occasionally have them on a different day if it suits DD better.

2old4hotpants Mon 06-Feb-17 13:47:47

Has anyone considered the poor baby in all this? To have her time split between four lots of carers and venues (parents, nursery, minder and grandparent) at less than a year old is very detrimental to her emotional development. At nursery alone there will be several carers, and one day a week is insufficient time for her to bond with them. In addition she must adjust to different routines in each venue. The parents should study research on the effects of indiscriminate care on young children.
Apologies if child is a boy – his/her is rather clumsy.

Maccyt1955 Mon 06-Feb-17 13:51:53

My advice is to offer to do one day a week only. Be firm and stick to this. Doing nothing will make you feel guilty, and you will miss out on a lovely experience. But being expected to do two days under these difficult conditions is not fair and taking advantage.

Everybody wins. You enjoy time with your grandchild, you earn your daughters respect. Your grandchild will have a happier time with you because you don't feel resentful. Good luck.

Yorkshiregel Mon 06-Feb-17 13:54:20

Jackypat. I would not go there. Imo it is too much to ask of you.

When my son was 7 I went back to work. I asked the council if they could recommend a good child-minder as they all have to register with them. I got a really wonderful lady who looked after my son after school finished until he went to secondary school. After that my sister took over as she had come to live nearby. That was a case of just being there when he came home from school. She gave him milk and biscuits and he did his homework until I picked him up an hour later.

I know that is not full-time care, I was just letting you know where to find help with child-care.

Yorkshiregel Mon 06-Feb-17 14:02:27

Just wanted to add that you could offer to do the Friday and then they would have to sort out the other day between them or get his mother involved as well?

We looked after our oldest grandson from about 6 months, for every weekend. We felt it gave Mum and Dad a break. We also looked after him in the school holidays when he was older which helped them a lot. We never regretted doing that because he was like an extra son to us and we love him to bits. He was a very serious child and not too lively so we did not get exhausted by the end of the day. Quite the opposite as we played cards and board games with him and he did his homework as well. We enjoyed our time with him so much; we miss him now he is at secondary school and we only see him one day a week. Payment was offered but we declined.

newnanny Mon 06-Feb-17 14:08:20

I remember when I was a young Mum and very poor my Mum looked after my older 2 children 2 mornings each week so I could work part time. At that point the money I earned made a huge difference to me. Nowadays the cost of mortgages are so high for our children that they need both salaries to afford their houses. If that is the case with your DD then I would agree to look after DGC for 2 days each week but consecutive days and sleep over to do less travelling, on the condition that if a further day becomes available at nursery she will take it. When DGC is free it will get 30 free hours each week so money will be easier for her but personally if i was fit enough I would help her while she needs you. When my Mum was very ill in her 80's with cancer she had children, DGC and DGGC calling in to visit her and cook meals, clean and take her out every single day. My son who she looked after when he was a small child would often drive to see her for the weekend travelling over 150 miles each way to see her. If you look after a child when they are small you will always have a special close bond with them. However if you are not fit enough or feel you will be missing out on other things then you could say no but maybe help her out with the cost of one day each week nursery fees but only if you can afford to.

dizzygran Mon 06-Feb-17 14:11:41

I agree with many of the comments Jackypat. I have looked after my granddaughter one or two days a week since she was six months old She usually stays overnight so her parents can get to work on time. I adore having her and she is great fun. I driver her home and often find that I am exhausted by the time I get back - and I don't have the long journey that you described. This sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me and something you will find hard to keep up. Can you think of a compromise? Would you be able to stay for a few nights every fortnight? You need to talk to your daughter and explain your worries and see if she is able to think of a solution. It is hard enough driving on your own but doing this round trip with a baby for half of it sounds like a nightmare to me. Good luck - be assertive and don't take on anything you are not happy with.

pauline42 Mon 06-Feb-17 14:21:46

My goodness - I have just sat reading through these posts and I am at a loss as to why there are so many Gransnet contributors who think it's their duty and ongoing responsibility to meet their family's expectation and become the constant and regular babysitter to their grandchildren!

I wonder why this is? If we have been responsible, caring and loving parents to our children and now they are adults with children of their own, why would we begin that heavy responsibility cycle all over again with our grandchildren?

Is it because our own parents - especially our mothers - showed us through example what it takes to be a good caring mums, (in most cases anyway) but unfortunately didn't have the skills or knowledge to know how to move on into those (what should be) enjoyable and independent retirement years? So we haven't had any role models for us to follow when we reach this phase in our lives. With very little or no practical experience to drawn from, it sounds as though many many retirees are just reverting to what we know best and rarely experiment or grasp the opportunity of understanding what a wonderful experience these retirement years have to offer if we believe we have earned through years of hard work and commitment!

Any comments on this theory?

Lilylilo Mon 06-Feb-17 14:53:55

Don't do it. It's exhausting, you'll make yourself ill. I did. My grandchildren all had to have expensive child minders and nurseries, i am back-up Nanna if necessary and have covered sickness of childminders, children with chickenpox who can't go to nursery etc etc but never again on a regular basis.

Doreen5 Mon 06-Feb-17 15:33:41

Two separate days isn't ideal with all that travelling. Two consecutive with an overnight stay sounds more do-able! Or could they drop your grandchild over to your house? We have our grandchild for 3 days with him staying overnight for 1. Tiring but such a privilege to be able to contribute to his upbringing.

Tessa101 Mon 06-Feb-17 15:56:49

I've been in a similar situation to yours, I initially said yes then got myself all worked up over it. I love my GC and enjoy having them but the commitment for me was far to much. My advise is you must talk to her because my DD sensed with me something was wrong and had we not discussed it we would have had cross words. Tell her exactly what you've told us on gransnet. Couldn't she drop him to you on a Sunday evening then you have him overnight, or what about seeing if there is a nursery near you that would have spaces. Don't feel guilty you have had your children you are entitled to enjoy your retirement. I have a dog as well and I know they can't be left for hours on end. Please talk to her and sit down and see what options are on offer.

pollyperkins Mon 06-Feb-17 15:58:27

When i banysit for DDs baby who luves a long way away I go the night before and stay over, but leave in the evening when they are back from work. Sometimes DD comes up to me the night before with baby and stys over, leaving at the crack of dawn, so we get DGD up and look after her for the morning and drive down after lunch to take her home (we have a key). She needs to be home to go to nursery next day. DD has offered to come back to pick her up but we refused as we didnt want her to do the return journey at night down the motorway with baby when she is tired after work. This is easier for me onviousy as DH is there too but he doesnt come when I go down there to babysit and I agree it is very tiring.
Im lucky my DD is full of gratitude and tries to make it easy for me.
I agree that staying over would seem to be a good idea for OP and perhaps only one day or two consecutive ones. But the dogs make it more complicated of course.

Tessa101 Mon 06-Feb-17 16:00:28

Pauline42 well said I'm in total agreement with you. Love my GC and have them often but I do have a life and don't live my life through them.

pauline42 Mon 06-Feb-17 17:12:32

Good for you Tessa101 - the hobbies and friends you have in your retirements years can make so much difference to the way you view yourself as you travel through these wonderful years. If we love our lives AND our grandkids but keep the balance " healthy" between both, then we are showing our families the very best example of independence (while we still can be). Don't know about you but (at 75) I'm loving me retirement - probably this period of my life is one of the best times ever!

luluaugust Mon 06-Feb-17 17:14:44

Having looked after three grandchildren for 1 or 2 days a week over about 9 years I think the caring is probably manageable but I think your problem is the travelling I agree with you this is horrendous, you will be travelling in rush hour with possible hold ups, obviously I don't know where you are but I don't think we could do 40 miles in an hour round here, you will arrive stressed out. I think you must insist on 2 days together and an overnight stay, even then do you think you can do it? Please chat this over with everyone concerned

sufuller Mon 06-Feb-17 17:55:24

We looked after our gd most week days for three years. It was tiring but so rewarding. My DD has now become a stay at home mom - she freely admits that she found the baby years hard but us nice reaping the rewards of our foundation work. We do miss seeing her every day, but we now see her one day a week and occasionally at weekends. Three years have just flush by and I wouldn't have missed a minute of
seeing my beautiful, clever gd grow into a confident, well rounded individual. My advice would be do it as long as you've got the energy - we always said it was the best job ever! It's nice to have our retirement back now though!