Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

I'm a newby.

(190 Posts)
bumblebee123 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:13:22

Hello, Good Morning & HI. I am a newby here but, I hasten to add, how can I be classed as a newby at 80 years old? Things have been a bit rough for me recently and at the moment I am imprisoned in my own house. However, the warder, my wife, is a gem and looks after me very well. I hope she reads this then I may get an extra biscuit for tea. She has me to contend with, a budgie, and a big dog, both of whom are as old as me. The dog, Benny, is a rescue dog and is quite a handful. Benny is a Staffy and is big, black, hefty and barks at everyone he sees but only because he wants to make a fuss of them. People of course don't know this and give him a wide berth................ AAHHH, some cheese sarnies have arrived so I will pause here for my lunch and play with Joey after which I will return and tell you more. Bye for now, Brian.

bumblebee123 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:06:42

Hi Deedaa, we, my jailer and I, are so happy to learn that there are other Peppa Pig lovers apart from us. wink.
Oink oink.
Bumblebee & jailer.

callgirl1 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:33:46

Hi Brian, Benny is a very handsome specimen of doggiehood, he`s gorgeous.
This is Butch.
And this is my Mia.

bumblebee123 Mon 13-Feb-17 07:31:58

Good Morning All, at last the rain has stopped. According to the forecast it should be dry all week in this area. I may even manage, with the aid of crutches, a short walk on the street. I will be watching the wild life in the garden then at lunchtime my daughter is coming up to see us.
Now, have you all sent out your Valentine cards? Only one day left. I couldn't get out to buy one but will send one, via the internet, to my good lady. Tomorrow, Feb 14th, is also our wedding anniversary. How's that for romance? You are all invited round for a piece of cake and a drink of champers.
Back later.
Beeblebum. OOPS, sorry, that should be Bumblebee. Joey says beeblebum. smile

bumblebee123 Mon 13-Feb-17 19:01:25

Hello, everything went according to plan today. Well, almost, I didn't win the lottery but, as I didn't buy a ticket, that is hardly surprising. We had a sunny day here and I, by means of my crutches, took a short walk down the street with my daughter, my wife and Benny. It was most enjoyable.
Very tired now so I will have an early night tonight.
Sleep well.
Brian.

Judthepud2 Mon 13-Feb-17 19:24:32

BB loved the pic of your lovely lad Benny. He looks a real character. My lovely girl, Georgie, is a working cocker spaniel, but unfortunately will now never work after having an argument with a van 3 weeks ago. She nearly died but prompt and amazing treatment from vet hospital has saved her. But she is left paralysed in her back legs and incontinent. We are working hard with her and the hospital to try and rehabilitate her. Very long slow process but she is such a lovely dog, it has to be worth it.

Hope you have a good sleep and feel more rested tomorrow.

Judthepud2 Mon 13-Feb-17 19:26:24

Happy anniversary for tomorrow to you and Mrs Bumblebee! ??

bumblebee123 Mon 13-Feb-17 20:01:22

AAWWW, poor Georgie, she looks an absolute darling. What are the hopes for her? Can you get her out in a small pram? Anything you do for her has to be worth it. I have seen dogs on TV with the same problem that have wheels strapped to their back ends which gives them a lot of freedom. We hope and pray that she improves and makes good progress.
Thank you for your Good Wishes.
Brian.

bumblebee123 Tue 14-Feb-17 08:51:04

Goood Morning to all our new friends. Frosty here but it will get warmer. Yesterday we saw, for the very first time, two squirrels building a nest in a tree about ten feet from our kitchen window. We will be watching out for them today. Also, we have a blue tit that is trying to get in through the kitchen window. He/she flies very close to it and sits on the ledge from where she will watch us. It is great fun watching all the birds and sqirrels but it does cost us a fortune in food. I mean 'a fortune'.
Time for my weetabix. Hope y'all have a nice day. Brian and my other half.

shysal Tue 14-Feb-17 09:14:20

Happy anniversary to you both, enjoy your day. Don't eat this cake all at once, the GN café clientele will help you I am sure!

bumblebee123 Tue 14-Feb-17 13:36:38

Hi, thanks for the lovely cake. Mmm, very tasty. HEY BENNY, that cake isn't for you.
Well the weather isn't as warm as predicted. Mardelle, has just..... WOT? MARDELLE? That's my wife. I think it's a Swedish name. I know she is a big fan of AB3A err A3BA. Anybody know how to do a B backwards? It is a bit unusual isn't it, Mardelle I mean. Tell you what, in future I'll call her SWMBO. I think you all know what that means......I do, grin...
I will have to sit back for a while.
Bye for now. Brian.

callgirl1 Tue 14-Feb-17 23:33:58

I`m a bit late Brian, but Happy Anniversary to you and Mardelle. It`s an unusual name, but I like it.

bumblebee123 Wed 15-Feb-17 19:28:53

Hello, not a good day today. First of all Benny had something up his nose, it was after his morning walk so it may have been a grass seed. Whatever it was caused him to do a lot of sneezing. It cleared after about one hour. After that, I had a visit from two doctors, both together and from the same practice, who informed me that I may not get better. They told me to try and walk as much as posible and keep my legs up...grin... Have you ever tried walking with your legs in the air? Obviously they meant legs up in between walks. So, here I am, on the settee, with my legs up. Luckily it is an electronic settee so I am virtually laid down. My wife, SWMBO, has fixed me up with a wireless keyboard and mouse. It is too painful for me to sit up to the desk.
That's it for now. Oh, just one thing, last year I went to buy a new bra for my wife. "A new bra for my wife" I said, "her old ones have had it". "A new bra" the assistant said, "what bust?"
"Oh nothing bust," I replied, "they just wore out". smile
Bumblebee

bumblebee123 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:16:43

Hello all, anyone have anything exciting happening today? We are watching ................ I DON'T BELEEEEVE IT. angry Halfway through watching a recorded episode of Summer Wine, the picture froze. It meant that my wife had to disconnect the Skybox for 30 seconds. Then she plugs it back in and all is well. She is a clever girl. Anymore Summer Wine fans out there? That's it for us, there was one other bit of excitement which I will tell you about in the near future.
Bye for now, Bumblebee.

Chewbacca Thu 16-Feb-17 19:41:01

Hello Bumblebee sorry to hear you're not too well but you sound chipper and happy and that's always lovely to hear! It's been a long time since I watched Summer Wine I'm afraid, I long since gave up on tv of any description and much prefer the radio these days. I hope that you have a lovely day tomorrow and that the Spring sunshine is where you are so that you can enjoy your walk with your legs up!

Judthepud2 Thu 16-Feb-17 23:14:57

Hello BB. My FIL used to love 'Last of the Summer Wine'. I think he saw much of himself in the old friends. Any excitement? Well yes. For us. Our little injured spaniel stood up herself today! Huge progress!

bumblebee123 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:20:16

Hi Chewbacca, I am having a loud chuckle with your reference to me walking with my legs in the air. Like me you have a sense of humour grin. Tell you what though, walking like that does make my backside sore.
Bumblebee.

bumblebee123 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:42:28

Hi, Judy, your message about Georgie has done wonders for me. Since I read about her accident I have been constantly thinking about her so the wonderful news about her standing has made my day. Go Georgie girl, we are both improving and a big kiss and cuddle for you.
Regarding Summer Wine, I appeared in an episode as an extra. It was, 'Destiny and Six Bananas'. I was a banana. grin. Nah, I was in the bus queue.
Bye for now. OH, a word from my missus Georgie, she says 'Good work, and keep it up'.
Bumblebee.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Feb-17 08:44:26

grin I'll bet it does Bumble, I'll bet it does!

Judthepud2 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:49:34

Glad to hear you are improving a little too BB and thank you to Mrs Bumblebee for her good wishes to Georgie.

Hope you have a better day.

bumblebee123 Fri 17-Feb-17 09:13:24

Hello everybody, today I will, hopefully, take another short walk. Seems as it is going to be a cloudy but dry day. I am not sure what to do after that but I will keep checking around the forums for fresh messages. I would like to write lots of life's happenings on here but I don't want to become a bore. I would also like to hear what you all do from day to day. You know, there are no strangers in the world, just a lot of friends I haven't met yet. smile
Bye for now.
Bumblebee.

shysal Fri 17-Feb-17 09:52:13

Great news about your doggy, Jud, hope the progress continues.
I am having an anxious morning, as 13 year GS broke his arm badly at football training last night and is awaiting an operation. They won't know the full extent of the injury until they open him up. It is going to be a long day, op at around 11.30am, he must be very hungry by now!

bumblebee123 Fri 17-Feb-17 10:23:30

Sorry to hear about your grandson Sal. We hope that all goes well for him. Keep us informed.
Mr. & Mrs. Bumblebee.

shysal Fri 17-Feb-17 16:56:08

Thank you for your kind wishes, Mr and Mrs B. I have just got back from seeing GS at the hospital. The two broken forearm bones were re-aligned with wires, Hopefully going home tomorrow, and he will be in plaster for about 6 weeks. The young heal quickly, so I am confident that he will be fine.

bumblebee123 Sat 18-Feb-17 08:44:21

Hi Sal, both forearm bones broken you say, that's the radial and the ulnar. Must have been one heck of a bump. I thought at first it might have been a greenstick fracture but I guess he's passed that age. WOW, I can remember the first aid I learnt nearly 70 years ago. Wish him 'good health' from two old fa.. err two old err, oh, two oldies. smile I had a bad fall last year and my right leg was useless. It is doing great now but, the rest of my body is useless. grin
Bumblebee..

shysal Sat 18-Feb-17 09:19:42

One problem with old age is that there is always something that hurts or doesn't work!sad