Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

I'm a newby.

(190 Posts)
bumblebee123 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:13:22

Hello, Good Morning & HI. I am a newby here but, I hasten to add, how can I be classed as a newby at 80 years old? Things have been a bit rough for me recently and at the moment I am imprisoned in my own house. However, the warder, my wife, is a gem and looks after me very well. I hope she reads this then I may get an extra biscuit for tea. She has me to contend with, a budgie, and a big dog, both of whom are as old as me. The dog, Benny, is a rescue dog and is quite a handful. Benny is a Staffy and is big, black, hefty and barks at everyone he sees but only because he wants to make a fuss of them. People of course don't know this and give him a wide berth................ AAHHH, some cheese sarnies have arrived so I will pause here for my lunch and play with Joey after which I will return and tell you more. Bye for now, Brian.

shysal Tue 25-Apr-17 09:27:16

Battle of New Orleans was the first record I ever bought, on a 78rpm.

mcem Tue 25-Apr-17 09:59:39

Way back on 29 March I joined other posters in offering what we thought might be useful ways to explore GN and to help you get more out of it.

Sorry if I don't understand your physical difficulties in accessing any thread other than the one you started but I had the impression you wanted to extend your involvement.

Why I'm now singled out for this rather petulant post I have no idea!

Elegran Tue 25-Apr-17 10:37:09

Why not try going to one of the pages in the boxes at the top of the thread - the "active" or "last hour" or "last day" boxes - and finding one which shows a list of all the threads you COULD be looking at? When you find it, bookmark it for future use and go straight there the next time you clock in. Then you can join in any converstion which seems interesting. It is updated continuously so you will see the latest posts on ALL threads. Last hour is probably the most useful if you are sofa-bound and bored, and want to be bang up-to-date.

Is the monitor separate from the computer? If so, get Mrs B to move it nearer. If not, is there any way the whole computer could be nearer to you (or you to it)? Sofas arte not nailed down, neither are computer tables.

shysal Tue 25-Apr-17 11:21:41

BB, there is a new game thread which is just up your street. You have to name the tune from which a line is quoted on the last post, then give one of your own choosing for the next person. You seem to have a wide musical knowledge smile. I thought it would be an easy game, but my mind goes blank half the time. If you enjoy it click on 'watch this thread' near the heading so that it is always to hand in your 'watching' box.
www.gransnet.com/forums/games/1236228-Name-that-tune?msgid=26217395

shysal Tue 25-Apr-17 11:29:52

By the way, anything which appears in blue is a link to another page, you just have to click on it to read it. Sorry if I am teaching my grand mother father to suck eggs! smile

bumblebee123 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:17:45

Thank you for your advice Elegran. It is very informative with useful ideas. The settee is a three seater with the two outer seats those electronically adjustable ones. When it was delivered it had to be assembled in the house. It weighs a ton. Recently we had a new carpet fitted and the fitters could not move it. It had to be tipped forwards so they could fit the carpet underneath it. The computer desk is also a part metal one and moving it is very difficult. Sadly we have so many electrical objects which means lots of wires at the back of the table. What a sad way to end your message, sofas and tables are not nailed down. .......... PETULANT?
You ladies are too good for me. I can see that I am taking up too much space.
Just one more letter to come.

bumblebee123 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:31:16

Bella, Shysal, I didn't know whether to tell you this or not but, many many years ago, I used to, 'tread the boards'. The people I have mentioned are fellow performers, plus many more, with whoom I have had the pleasure of doing concerts with.

I feel I am being got at by certain members. I don't want to cause any problems with your wonderful set up and lovely people you share your thoughts with.
Damn this problem I have.
Good bye all, and, one last chuckle,................. Merry Christmas.smile

Elegran Tue 25-Apr-17 12:35:15

There's no pleasing you today, is there, Bumblebee, you must be getting very frustrated with being confined to the sofa.

Well, if you can't see the computer screen, something will have to change! Logic says so, not me. It has to be either your specs, one of the bits of furniture, or you. Specs take time, and if they are like my distance ones they are not much use except out on the street.

Do you have any family or neighbours with the muscles to shift heavy things and/or the sense to untangle the nest of connections and get the computer within focussing distance? Time to be humble and ask for their help. Do you have a tea-trolley with casters? The computer could sit on that and be wheeled near you to use then back out of the way. Is there an easy chair with room in front of it for a footstool or pouffe to rest your leg on?

What does your other half or alter ego think? Does she have any ideas?

shysal Tue 25-Apr-17 14:38:41

We have been trying to help you to get the best out of your Gransnet membership, not being critical! It has enriched the lives of many for whom mobility is a problem.
Would an ipad or tablet be easier for you?
I am sure some of us would be interested to hear of your experiences in the music industry, I bet there are some funny tales to tell. We did used to have another male member who was also a performer. Sadly he is no longer around.

Riverwalk Tue 25-Apr-17 14:52:22

I'm not familiar with the OP's previous posts but reading today's can't work out why it's more of a physical effort to read certain threads but not others hmm

Does it matter where one sits?

Maybe I'm missing something here!

mcem Tue 25-Apr-17 15:09:59

shysal you are a kind and patient soul.

Bellanonna Tue 25-Apr-17 15:49:25

I was puzzled Bumblebee. Why is it more difficult to look at/ contribute to other threads? You could join in the Name that Tune one, or start one of your own about the old days in music. You would have a much wider "audience" in both cases and more grans would benefit from your contributions and sense of humour.
I'm sure it must be very frustrating, confined indoors as you are. But give other parts of Gransnet a go?

shysal Tue 25-Apr-17 16:50:16

mcem, grin

Ana Tue 25-Apr-17 16:58:19

I can sort of see the problem Bumblebee has. He'd rather just stick to the one thread as it's difficult for him to scroll through the others and he has problems focussing on even this one.

Anyway, looks as though he's decided to go. I don't really see why he couldn't have just been left to post on this thread as and when he wanted.